Guard against complacency

Posted , 7 users are following.

I joined this forum in November after a flare in August still had me in pain.  I picked up lots of helpful information, doubled my Fybogel, introduced pure aloe vera juice and probiotics, was soon out of pain and thought I had everything under control.  Well, pride goes before a fall! 

Out of the blue, another flare, just before my holiday.  So whilst everyone else will be out in the sun, then enjoying the all inclusive buffet, I shall be out in the sun, enjoying my antibiotics and fluid only diet!  The only good thing is that I am one of the lucky people who does not have bad side effects from the medication - just a bit of a taste in the mouth.

I'm still trying to work out what triggered it - the only thing I can think of is the stilton sauce I had on my cauliflower and broccoli bake, as I became ill a few hours afterwards.  My friend, who enjoyed the same meal, was absolutely fine.  I gave up trying to convince myself it was just an ordinary tummy upset after a few days, and went back to the doctor for some more pills.  So my point is that I think it is still necessary to watch your diet, and not become complacent.  And after 15 years of dealing with this disease I am still learning - no more stilton!

Greetings from the Canary Islands!

3 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Janet sorry about your recent flare up of diverticulitis. Question are you going to try staying on the Fybogel while in the midst of flare up? I think you should try it just so you keep the colon cleaned out which will allow the infected area to heal quickly.

Let me know your thoughts and please get well soon.

God Bless.

• Posted

The antibiotics are doing a fine job for me without the need for Fybogel!!!!  But I am still going to take one a day, and go back to 2 a day after I finish the pills
    • Posted

Janet I am glad you took my advice on utilizing psyllium during an active flare up. Believe me you won't be sorry

Good luck.

• Posted

I have sent you a private message regarding this!!! lol
  • Posted

Hi Felina, it could have been the brocolli and cauliflower as these are hard to digest. Hope you get better soon. 
    • Posted

Thanks.  This is the 1st time these veggies have caused me a problem, but someone else reported them as being on the list to avoid.  Fortunately I get minimal side effects from the antibiotics - just a metallic taste and no need for a laxative!!!  It seems the UK antibiotics are a bit kinder than those prescribed in the USA - no dizziness, fainting or nausea for me - or I am just plain lucky.  I have no intention of letting it ruin my holiday, even if it does mean the shortest distance between 2 bars.  I'm signing off now and will be back online at the end of February.

• Posted

Hiya, I hope you are enjoying your holiday. Sorry to hear you had an attack just before. I hope you get well soon. I so agree about with your post. One can become complacent  ESP when one is feeling well. I was diagnosed  last year April and I changed my diet etc as soon as I felt well I slipped back into old habits and sadly I, now back to 'square one' with pain. 

This is such a strange disease week 2 for me and I am still in intermittent left sided  pain. I will see my GP on the 15th I doubt she will prescribe antibiotics as I have no other symptoms besides pain so I'm trying to keep it under control with the supplements & the Fibre (which you recommended ) It has been helping so much. 

I hope you get well and have a lovely holiday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.