H. pylori 1st treatment failed

Posted , 7 users are following.

I just had a stool test result back and I'm still infected with H.pylori. I just freaked out, cried a lot and I feel really sad and worried. I've been for many months now with a gastritis, which is so painful and have a lot of nausea too. I also have a baby to take care of. All this made me so tired and depressed. Sometimes I feel I just want to die so I dont feel pain anymore. What do you do if the treatment fails? GP gave me again antibiotics but I know now that they dont work. 

Is there any other options, treatments? Please help.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully you'll rid yourself of H. pylori soon smile

I've been researching myself on natural ways to heal H. Pylori since I've been showing symptoms of it lately, and there were things that can help (they say) such as Manuka Honey (1 tbs a day with real cinnamon sprinkled on it for antioxidant benefits), Mastic Gum (there are capsules and actual to-chew gum at Amazon, eating/drinking a lot of antioxidant foods, taking probiotics (I don't take the capsules, more from foods like Saurkraut and Kefir). Recently I've gotten DGL to help soothe my stomach and maybe help with my stomach sensitivity, but it hasn't arrived yet. There's a chocolate flavored chewable lol.

Maybe you can try those if the medications don't work. There aren't very bad side effects to doing them as I've read about it.

• Posted

Hi Eaquin

I"ve been drinking herbal teas with manuka honey for a while, and I dont feel any different. I still take it because I like it. I eat a lot of fruit, except oranges, since I know its good when you have gastritis. I eat everthing as before, less too acidic foods, milk and coffee.

I was over a year in pain from a gallbladder surgery I did in 2014, had a baby and I thought  so many times I'm never going to be well. when I started to feel some improvement I got painful gastritis. I also have really bad arthitis all over my body. Im only 40 with a 1 and half old baby to raise. God give me strength, I really need that right now.

• Posted

Hi Leni! I'm sorry you're in so much pain. You need to be retreated with a different antibiotic. Sometimes we become insensitive to certain antibiotics if we have taken them before for other conditions. Only 70% of people get rid of their h. pylori with the first treatment, so you are not alone. You have to get and stay healthy because people depend on you and, no one wants to go through life being nauseous 24x7! So go for the second round of treatment with a different antibiotic, and hopefully treatment will eradicate the bacteria this time. Stay strong, be positive and take the antibiotics EXACTLY as prescribed. Good thoughts coming your way that all will be well soon. Hugs, Joy
    • Posted

Hi Joy

Thank you for your reply. I"ve never took antibiotics before so I dont really understand why they didnt work first time. I've read that is 90% of people that get rid of te bacteria with first treatment. I feel very tired all day now just like when I had my gallbladder out and developed chest pain. Hope it works this time but im still worried because I dont think that anything else can kill it completly. 

• Posted

Your GP should have given you 2 different antibiotics this time Leni.   The same thing happened to me 13 years ago.  The first treatment failed, but the second one with the two different antibiotics was successful.   I also felt very ill, with pain from the gastritis, and also side effects from the treatment, but it was worth it to get rid of the H. Pylori.  

If you check to make sure he has given you different antibiotics, there is every chance that it will work this time.   Good luck and let us know if it is successful.

• Posted

Hi Jan thanks. He gave me a diffrent antibiotic and PPI but the other antibiotic is the same. I trust he knows what hes doing. its horrible the side effects but Im willing to try again. I dont have any other choice I guess. Im getting more tired lately too beside the nausea, I wonder if its caused by the bacteria.
  • Posted

You can try the natural cure that eaquin described. Otherwise make sure you take a PPI to protect the stomach with the antibiotics and a probiotic
  • Posted

Leni, I just want you not to despair about this situation, as many don't hit on a cure the first go-round. Your doc has to try something else and you just have to take a deep breath and be positive about trying again. I had to try 9 different anti-depressants and combinations before my docs found the right combo for me. All the while I was very depressed, but I sooo wanted to feel better that I kept trying. My docs didn't give up on me and I didn't give up on myself (although there were times I wanted to). Please let us know how your next round of treatment goes...and stay strong! You WILL get rid of this nasty h. pylori! Hugs, Joy
    • Posted

Hi Joy thank you for your support. I started taking second round of antibiotics this week, I'm on third day now and I feel a lot of upper stomach pain from the infection.this morning  I cried I felt so down with my stomach pain. I feel hopeless this meds give me more pain but I'll finish them. I have to hold on and be strong but the gastritis is killing me.. God I hope this time works
    • Posted

Well done Leni.   You are nearly half way through the second treatment.   I went through it 13 years ago, so I know how difficult it can be.  I have just been diagnosed with it again, so will have to take the antibiotics again myself in a week or two.  Let us know how you are getting on, we are all thinking of you.
    • Posted

Stay strong, Leni! You can do this! I know, for me, antibiotics always make me feel ill, nauseous, and generally gross. They are strong medicine. I will keep you in my daily prayers that this round will work on the H. Pylori. I had H. Pylori about 15 years ago and I was very lucky to get cured with the first round of antibiotics. BUT....I didn't have gastritis on top of it. I do know it's very depressing to feel unwell day after day, not being able to eat. Stomach/abdominal pain I think is the 'sickest' kind of pain you can feel. But I applaud you for going back for the second round of antibiotics, when I know you just wanted to give up. But you didn't! You're obviously a great mom and know that your baby needs you. Keep it going, and please let us know how it goes.  Hugs, Joy
    • Posted

Oh, and I will ALWAYS get a yeast infection when I take antibiotics. Without fail! This knowledge just makes the whole situation even worse (taking antibiotics). I don't know if you get them with antibiotics, but if you do, have treatment on hand so you can use at the first sign. Diflucan is a pill and it works for me without all the mess. I think getting yeast after antibiotics is where the phrase "Adding insult to injury" must have came from! lol  J.
    • Posted

hi joy, i also had yeast infection and I tried to take yogurt and cleanse my digestive system more often so i won't accumulate too musch waste in the stomach or intetsine..and it will neutralize also the acidity of my system.. soi obeserved too after i eat acidic or citrus fruits the yeast will just proliferate..can't sleep!
  • Posted

based on what I teach, H. pylori secretes a substance that will counteract with the acidity of the stomach..so the more acidic the stomach becomes the more it secrets substance, which makes it more painful... i can't recommend any meds..i can just describe how the parasite works in the stomach. So being depressed wiil not help you and your baby... pls try cardamom as a natural wound healer, it works well for digestion too.. in the tropics..they also use papaya to get rid of parasites..it might be a good start..really hoping for your fast recovery.
    • Posted

H. Pylori is a bacteria which is why she is taking antibiotics.
    • Posted

thanks joy..yes H. pylori is a bacteria which tolerates acidicty of the stomach.. it is sometimes resistant to antibiotics becase it hides in the epidermal layer of the tissue of the stomach and secretes substances which damages the walls of the stomach and results to ulcer..we are really hoping she will find immediate cure and relief from pylori.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.