H-Pylori, Gastritis & PPI

Posted , 8 users are following.

Alright, here's the deal.  I'm being test for h-pylori for a second time since my doctor wants to make 100% sure that it is indeed negative.  Was tested a month ago via stool test and then tested via biospy, both negative. Both times I was on a PPI, so now he wants me off the PPI and get retested.

My first question, the EGD showed a pretty nasty case of gastritis, but been on a PPI over a year.  However, I didn't change my diet AT ALL.  Can gastritis heal if you don't change your diet or do you have to change it?  

Second question, I know being a PPI long-term has some side effects, so if I'm able to successfully come off the PPI, is a PPI necessary to heal gastritis or can you accomplish that through a very clean diet?  Doctor gave me some samples of Dexilant because my current PPI (Protonix) has become ineffective.  Started having problems with it every since I tried to lower my dosage and changing the medication to Prevacid. Could never get it to work like it once did before again.  

Third question, after these two weeks are up and I get tested for h-pylori, should I consider taking the Dexilant and try to get this gastritis healed?  Most cases of gastritis heal within a couple of months, but mine may take some time.  I'm worried by not taking a PPI it may take even longer. If I'm able to get off my current PPI, I should be able to get off Dexilant without too many problems. 

Final question, the first few days being off the PPI were alright, a little heartburn.  But the past few days and I've experienced a lot of burning in my stomach, but it seems to peak at the same time every night. Looking back, it happens when I normally would eat my heaviest and fattiest meal of the day. After doing some research, the theory I came across is that over time being on the PPI (one year), my body became accustomed to having to work extra hard to produce the necessary stomach acid to digest that large meal.  Now that I'm off the PPI and eating very strict (fruits & vegatables & lean meats) my stomach still thinks it needs to produce that extra acid to digest the big meal that's soon about to come.  But since I'm eating lightly and stomach friendly food, the acid doesn't have anywhere to go and ends up sitting in my stomach irritating my gastritis.  Is that theory possible?  I've found that Carafate and Gaviscon helps very much, but I'm trying to stay away from the antacids as much as I can until after my h-pylori test.

Thanks! 

4 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just an update...

h-pylori came back negative, no surprise there.  Stopped a lot of supplements.  All I'm currently now is zinc l-carnosine, DGL & Dexilant.  Going to stick with my gut friendly diet and hopefully get this gastritis healed. Just gotta be patient.  Will come back with updates.  

• Posted

That's great!! What kind of foods are you eating? Because I'm still having this burning. It seem to move around..

Will take your advice ..to be patient.

• Posted

The foods I'm eating consist of organic oatmeal with almond milk, bananas, almonds, sandwiches (turkey or roast beef with cheese & lettuce on white bread), white rice, steamed veggies, cereal (not the sugary ones) with dairy free milk, unsweetened applesauce, toast with light butter and I know it's not recommended but it doesn't cause me any problems, but I'll occasionally eat some snacks like animal crackers, graham crackers, goldfish, unsalted pretzels and some baked chips.  I figured as long as it doesn't cause irritation it shouldn't be an issue.  

Is the burning still coming from your lower abdomen and back? 

• Posted

Wow! Your diet consist of a variety unlike mine. My body is so sensitive to everything. I'm trying to find ways to help put weight on. But my diet is so limited.

Any suggestions ? Anyone??

• Posted

Hi mary

It is mo I am writing to you guys hoping you can help me. I have gone through same process 3 years ago. My stomach is not too bad now, but the lower abdominal pain and sensation persists after 3 years. I am just wondering if you guys still have it if not, please tell how have you got rid of it?

• Posted

Update #2

Still doing fine with the zinc carnosine, dexilant and DGL.  Did change when I take the zinc, though.  Before I took it right before a meal, but now I take it about an hour before eating, on an empty stomach.  I'll take one, wait about 30 minutes, then take my DGL, wait another 20 minutes then eat.  Started taking magnesium and B12, very helpful.  I did make a mistake by eating sweets, strangely, they didn't cause any stomach discomfort, but did cause some slight burning in my chest area, but only around my pecs, weird.  And it did cause this sour feeling in my throat to come back. Nothing severe, but annoying.  Going to stay away from those foods I suppose. Other than that, I'm still eating simple sandwiches, these healthy choice steamer meals from the grocery store and a few basic snacks like bananas & granola bars. 

I plan to come back every few weeks with an update on my progress. Hopefully later on down the road when I'm all healed up, assuming I heal up, someone can get some helpful information from this thread.  

Zinc Carnosine - (1) 75mg pill 4x a day on an empty stomach, I don't eat or drink anything for at least 30 minutes after taking it.

DGL - (2) chewables 20 minutes before a meal

Magnesium - (1) 250 mg pill once a day after a meal

B12 - (1) 5000 mcg pill once a day after a meal

Dexilant - (1) capsule in the morning once a day, 30 minutes before breakfast

• Posted

Just a small update.  I ran into problems soon after my last post.  Haven't been great over the past few months.  The burning came back along with some new symptoms like a bad taste in my mouth, burning in my rib cage and on my sides. Still have that weird burning sensation in my pec muscles too. Testing the possibility of toxic mold poisoning.  We'll see how that how goes.  Having another EGD done in two weeks.  Will come back with the results for any future lurkers and current followers.  

Current diet/meds/supplements:

60mg Dexilant

400IU Vitamin E

250mg Magnesium

2000IU Vitamin D

1g Carafate 2x a day

Probiotic

Diet consists of lean meats, vegetables, eggs, almonds and rice.  Of course, none of the typical trigger foods and no sugar. 

The only thing that has me scratching my had is that I have no symptoms while I sleep.  I feel almost normal when sleeping.   Weird. 

• Posted

When you are sleeping, you will be more relaxed  maybe that’s why you have no symptoms.
  • Posted

Hi, chunky

Hope you are ok. I have gone through the same thing. My stomach has hot much better, but the lower abdominal pain and sensation has been for about three years now. I am just wondering if you have got over the lower sensation. If yes please tell me exactly what have you done?

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.