Had a TKR on tues 13 March.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I know I’m only a few days in but is it normal to spend long periods in bed? Can get round house on crutches but can’t sit down in chairs because knee is swollen and wont bend properly , roughly how long before this improves? I’m 55 and as you can probably tell an impatient sod used to being active, also v surprised how bloody painful it is, I know there’s no instant cure but would be interested to hear from others who’ve experienced it, ??

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Read Chico Marx posts, it's a very good guide to recovery. I was mostly in bed for 6 weeks due to post op complications, but others have written about walkingwit crutches as you are shortly after surgery. Major surgery requires time for your body to heal. You are doing good, don't rush things. Continued good luck for your recovery!

• Posted

Haha! You’re cracking me up here! Yes it’s natural to spend lots of time in bed for awhile. I had both knees done at the same time, 60 and very active as well. But you have to heal. But I was going up and down my stairs and walking all over with no support in a week and a half. But resting in between. It’s takes a full year to be completely normal. But after a few weeks, you’ll be doing well.
    • Posted

Ha! I think you’re impatient but the reason I find it funny is because we are two peas in a pod. Not a sod. LOL
  • Posted

Hi interested to know how your doing due to have tkr 26 March age 57
    • Posted

Hi Sarah, it’s now a week and I’m not going to lie to you it’s been hard, the pain has been very surprising, but I’ve noticed a small improvement today, please don’t let this worry you it seems is is normal, it’s a big operation, just don’t be impatient like me and stick to the rules and you’ll be fine👍

• Posted

Thanks for the honest response. I've gathered it's hard and painful and you get put of it what you put in with regard to the physio side. Can you tell me if you had a general or epidural and sedation for your op

• Posted

Hi Sarah sorry for the delay, had an epidural, better recovery for me than anaesthetic, strange experience, was talking to people during surgery but felt floaty and detached due to sedation, I’d go for that if given the option.
  • Posted

Of course you have to be either in bed or laying on the couch most of the time in the early weeks because if you're on your legs too long, they go stiff and can swell and your have pain. It's your body's way of telling you to go LAY DOWN! Ha ha! I know it's hard to do that sometimes. But we must listen to our bodies. I'm in my 9th week post BTKR and I overdid it yesterday. I think I was on my feet for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours vacuuming and doing some pruning out in my yard and I was in so much discomfort (pain) all that night and couldn't sleep because of it. I just wanted to get some things done around my house but I have to be careful not to over do it. I think I started getting out of my bed and doing more things around the 6th week mark. But everyone is different.

• Posted

Hi Stephen

Very early days and you will have ups and downs in the coming months for sure. Have you seen the physio yet? They would of shown you how to sit down and stand up from a chair but you probably won’t be sitting for long but you need to know the safe way to get on and off without it being to painful or awkward. 

Keep your eyes out for some great advice on here and good luck with your recovery 😊

• Posted

Yaaaay, Just been out of the house for the first time since my TKR (12days). Walked on crutches about 150yds up the road and back, felt a bit knackered and in some pain but it felt good to be mobile, laid back on my bed with ice pack on feeling rather pleased with myself.
    • Posted

Yeah, its a great moment, that maiden voyage into the outer world!

How does the bed smell? All that lying around in it? 😁😃😀

I got a new duvet cover for mine while recuperating as wanted something different to look at!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.