Had a TKR on tues 13 March.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I know I’m only a few days in but is it normal to spend long periods in bed? Can get round house on crutches but can’t sit down in chairs because knee is swollen and wont bend properly , roughly how long before this improves? I’m 55 and as you can probably tell an impatient sod used to being active, also v surprised how bloody painful it is, I know there’s no instant cure but would be interested to hear from others who’ve experienced it, ??

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yah Stephen!! We all know how you feel. I remember using the wheelchair to get out to my PT appmts, then the walker, then my cane which I still use. Now I'm driving and it feels good to have some freedom back. Wishing you a quick (ha ha!) and pain free recovery.

• Posted

I am counting down the days 'til I can drive again. I'm going to take the long way around to ALL my errands!

• Posted

Cheleskar, Ha ha! I'm sure that won't last long! For me, it's the practical things that I can start getting out and do. ie like pick up a few groceries. But my major grocery shopping my husband has to go with me and I use the electric cart and he uses the regular cart. I shop for 1 1/2 hours usually because I buy for two weeks of dinners. I could not stand up that long. I'm 10 weeks po both legs. And with my pain meds dwindling away, I'm more sore and achy than I even realized before. Glad to hear you were able to get out of the house. I had friends come visit me and many brought us dinner for about 1 month. I've been able to get back to church and I was greeted very warmly by my friends. Everyone there has been so sweet and it felt good to be around loving and caring people who know what I've been through. This Sunday I will be getting back into my role of leading the worship music. I hope I'm not too spaced out or in pain while I'm trying to sing and play. I hope you get more opportunities to get out and that you come home refreshed by it. We all need this! Happy Easter <3 

• Posted

I kept telling my husband, "I want to get out of the house and BE WITH PEOPLE!" Not that he isn't fine company, and I've got great friends and family who visited (and brought chocolate!) But this past weekend I went out to dinner on Saturday AND out to brunch on Sunday and IT WAS GLORIOUS! Of course, I'm paying a little bit of a price today (so lots of ice/elevation/rest), but it did wonders for my mood, which is a good thing.

• Posted

TWO WEEKS INTO MY TKR TODAY, Been to see my physio , got about an 80 degree bend in knee joint, down to one crutch most of the time, still  trouble sleeping at night because of pain but overall very happy with the way it’s coming along, have to say though the first two weeks were a bugger, anyway onwards and upwards 😁👍

• Posted

3 and a half weeks since TKR, went for some physio today and walked into the hospital unaided, it was a slow and sometimes rarther wobbly grand entrance but it made me feel good, hospital delighted at the progress as am I, still getting swelling and pain that are worse at night ( always riggleing about trying to find that sweet comfy spot) but overall happy, it’s true what they say, you get out what you put in although that’s easy said, and there’s no denying it , it is a difficult operation to get over, but grit your teeth and do your best and we’ll get there👍

• Posted

Good for you!! Sounds like you're making terrific progress!

I hear you about trying to find the best sleeping position.. that's still a challenge for me at 4 weeks out. Join me in knowing we'll get thru this part too!

chele

• Posted

I have found putting a pillow between my knees a lyeing on my side give a bit of comfort for a while,but its difficult to keep in one position for any length of time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.