Had ankle fusion, day 5, more pain ?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I’m 30 yrs old man and had two joints in my ankle fused on Thursday, so its been 5 days, and I am feeling so much pain if I miss a dose of the pain killers, and the Surgeon gave me only 1 week course of pain killers, 

So is it normal to have more pain after the surgery ? 

And how long the severe pain lasts ? 

Best Regards 

Mo 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I had a triple arthrodesis 5 months ago  now. Still have pain and can’t get my shoe on . I’m still in my air boot when I walk out as it swells up.the side of my foot on the outer where I was cut is very sensitive.. and I still walk with both crutches as I cannot manage with out them 

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Mrsbodds  

Hope you get better soon, 

• Posted

Hi Mo. Sorry to hear about the pain. I'm 15 weeks post ankle fusion age 55.

I was given 2 weeks pain meds and needed it all that time. I even had to call my GP to get the dose increased and she prescribed oral morphine in addition. But after that time the swelling went down more and I came off the meds completely and am fine now. Good luck with the recovery, the pain is worth it in the end.

Andy.

• Posted

Hi Penguin 

Thanks for giving some good news, 

Did you stop the pain meds completely after 2 weeks ? 

How you doing now after 15 weeks? 

Do you still walk on crutches? 

Best Regards 

Mo

• Posted

I’m still on crutches 5 months later and pain killers. My foot still gets swollen and hurts.but has knitted well. I’m due to see surgeon next week 
    • Posted

Hi Mrsbodds 

Sorry to hear that!

Do you know the reasons for the complications ? 

Hope you well soon. 

• Posted

Hi Mo,

thankfully I kept a sort of daily log of what was happening so I can share quite a bit with you.

Days 1 - 14 I had the backslab plaster on and had pain meds every day - it was during this time my GP increased the meds and added morphine.

Day 15 had the new cast put on and I had pain meds for a couple of days as my foot got used to the cast but didn't need them after that.

Through to day 24 I was still using a wedge pillow at night to elevate my leg but after that I didn't need it.  During that time I also did some light weights in the gym but without putting weight on the foot.

Day 46 I had the cast off and got an air boot.  No pain at all and the whole thing was healing well.  Still not full weight bearing.

Week 7 physio gave me the go to start using exercise bike which was fantastic and I worked up to a 30 min session and followed it with 20 minutes high intensity after a session with the weights.

Day 95 was discharged by the surgeon and gave back the air boot but kept the crutches.  Next 2 days were uncomfortable for both legs and the ankle as I had to adjust to walking again - with crutches.  

Week 15 and I'm back at work with the crutches but don't need them much as the ankle is adjusting.  I'm seeing podiatrist this week to see what footwear or orthotics I will need going forwards.

All in all I think I have been fortunate so I hope you have similar.

Good luck.

• Posted

Wow I’m on week 20 and still get pain can’t walk without two crutches. Still elevating my leg. I guess everyone is different. Mine wasn’t plain triple arthrodesis. I had to have screws out from previous calcu osteotomy from 12yrs ago and a tendon lengthening . I keep telling myself one day I will have my dancing feet on.after I have recovered from this I have to have my other foot done too.
    • Posted

Hi Penguin 

Its great to hear that you doing well in a short period. 

Have a question if you don’t mind! 

Do you still take pain killers and use both crutches? 

Best Regards 

Mo

• Posted

Hi Mo, no I havent used pain meds since the 2nd cast came off. I still use both crutches when walking longer distances but around the house and office I sometimes use just one or none.
    • Posted

Hi Penguin 

Good, so when is it that you think you will get your full motion back ? 

• Posted

Hi again Penguin,

I take Ibuprofen 400mg 3times daily, Pamol 500mg 4times daily, and morphine 10mg 2times daily, and it’s been a week now,

And I am still feeling so much pain (unbearable pain) 3 hrs only after taking the meds. So were you feeling the same?  

And how many pain killers were you taking daily and what kind ? 

Sorry if I asked you many questions! 

• Posted

Hi Mo,  no worries with asking questions, thats what the site is for.  With an ankle fusion you'll never get the full range of motion back and I've already got most of what I'll ever have again. Assuming you've had the tibia fused to the talus your flexion and inversion/eversion will come mainly from the subtalar joint and the transverse tarsal joint (Google it).  It is quite a small range of movement but pain free (eventually) and just about enough - although you may need orthotics or rocker soled shoes.  Your physio or podiatrist can advise you when you are more recovered.  There are videos on youtube of people after a fusion so you can see what ROM to expect.

As for pain meds, I can't take ibuprofen and there's a case against taking it anyway as it can inhibit bone growth - Google that as well.  I had the same paracetamol and was given Dihydrocodeine (60mg every 6 hours) and Oramorph 2.5 ml every 6 hours.  That worked for me but everyone is different. My initial meds were only the paracetamol and half the dose of Dihydrocodeine and that was no where near enough.  I called my GP and she doubled the Dihydrocodeine and added the Oramorph.

If you're still in the sort of pain I had please call your GP or emergency Doc to see what they can do to help and don't take no for an answer - I know how bad it feels and sleep is near impossible.

Get your head down and get through the first couple of weeks and things will get better.

• Posted

Hi Penguin 

Woow, you have given me very good information, thank you so much.

As you said, my talus is fused to the tibia, So I guess, have to use the rocket shoes as my surgeon also said. I am about to call my surgeon today to ask why I am feeling so much pain even taking all opioid meds, 

something is wrong maybe, but there is no swelling thankfully.

have to also ask my surgeon if I can take Vitamin D and calcium supplements while taking these opioid pain meds, to speed up bone growth. 

You actually understand how it feels like, I couldn’t continue my sleep tonight because of pain, I took ibuprofen 400mg + Paracetamol 1000mg and morphine 10mg together, then I slept for 3 hours then the pain woke me up again.

Hopefully all this pain will go down soon. 

Best Regards 

Mo 

• Posted

Glad to be of help, try taking Osteocare from Vitabiotics.  It has Calccium and Vit D and there's no clash with your meds.  I started on it a few weeks before my op to build up calcium but I'm sure it will help as soon as you can take it.

• Posted

Hi Penguin 

Great, I have to get the D vitamins and the calcium  tomorrow. 

And thanks for sharing your wonderful experience with me. 

Best Regards 

Mo 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.