Had ankle fusion, day 5, more pain ?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I’m 30 yrs old man and had two joints in my ankle fused on Thursday, so its been 5 days, and I am feeling so much pain if I miss a dose of the pain killers, and the Surgeon gave me only 1 week course of pain killers, 

So is it normal to have more pain after the surgery ? 

And how long the severe pain lasts ? 

Best Regards 

Mo 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about the pain...it is normal. Try Tylenol  for arthritis pain 658 mg it helped me S I refused to take the opioids that I was given.  Also keep it elevated above your heart and do something to focus your attention away from the pain.  It will get better and it will be worth it
    • Posted

Hi Paul

Thanks for encouraging, 

Have you also had ankle fusion or similar? 

What is/was your experience ? 

Best Regards 

Mo

• Posted

Hi Mo, 

How are you doing from your fusion? 

You seemed to have alot of the same questions I am dealing with at 11 days post op. 

I'm in so much pain still. It has been a nightmare dealing with the nurses at the doctors office to get my pain meds. Something about approvals from insurance and just getting prescription refilled. 

I had a Triple Arthodesis, Percutaneous tendon achilles lengthing, application of platlet-rich plasma. 

I'm prescribed Oxycodone 5 1-2 every 4 hours with 60 pills at a time. It's not even enough to take every 4 hours and the pain seems to come back on at 3 hours. So I have been taking the pills sparingly because I am afraid that I will run out before my 2 week post op this week. 

Just curious how you have faired from the surgery and how long the initial pain took to ware off. I also don't know much about pain killers, so I'm not sure if my med dose is comparable to what ya'll were prescribed. I'm also keeping leg elevated and icing a few times a day...not that I think the ankle is feeling any of that ice through these huge honking wannabe cast. 

Any input from anyone is greatly appreciated. Ty 

• Posted

Pain is a state of mind and some people have a higher pain tolerance than others. Opioids are vert dangerous and the last thing you need is to get hooked on them.   My suggestion is to take Tylenol 680’s elevate the foot above the heart and do something to take your mind off the pain. Music, watch a movie and if you can find one in your area vicsit a hypnosist who can help you work through the pain.  I will Leal you that it does and will get better before you know it.

• Posted

I had a triple arthrodesis in may 2017 started back at work as a chef 13 weeks later been on my feet 12-16 hours a day this weekend has been the hardest of my life (Easter weekend) currently my ankle is swollen to hell can any one recommend any pain relief I’ve been prescribed cocodomol but it’s not touching the pain 

Many thanks 

• Posted

Hey I just came across this while looking for pain relief suggestions for myself. I had ankle fusion surgery last Friday. On day 6 now & pain is worst then ever. I came home the morning after with the pain pump until day 3. It ran out before the end of day 2. I was only given 30 pills but told to take them every 4 hours for 2 weeks. Which that math works no way you work it. So I’ve been missing doses trying to make them last. Just wanted to ask what you all did for pain when your pain meds ran out. Thanks in advance.

• Posted

Hi Amanda

im not sure where you are but if applicable speak to your gp.I had fusion in May, I was warned the first two weeks were tough, they were and I wondered if I had done the right thing. I spoke to my gp and he happily sorted out anothér prescription of pain med, for me tramadol works best but you may be different. I didn’t have to go to the surgery so I think they must be used to this sort of thing. When I broke my ankle a few years ago the hospital sent me back with lots of pain relief as well as other aids but this time it was minimal. I wonder if it is to help with funding problems.I am now 11 weeks in and have another 2 before plaster comes off and into a boot. I’m managing okay can shuffle round the supermarket using the trolley like a zimmer but it’s nice to be able to do anything. If you can get a knee scooter mine was and still is a great help. Lots of luck with your recovery the first couple of weeks it is so tough. Let me know if you need any more info 

• Posted

Thanks Liz34752. Today has been much better but they will not give me anymore pain meds until I am seen my the surgeon this coming Tuesday. So I have about 5 left & taking them only when I’m about to die from the pain. We got a knee scooter & ive used it a few times today to get to the bathroom & it’s so much more helpful then the walker. Not been out of the house since I got home from the hospital & not planning to leave until I go to the dr. I know exactly what you mean when you said you didn’t know if you did the right thing with having surgery or not. I’ve lived in pain for the last 8 years since my injury but it was a totally different pain then this is. Hoping it only gets better. Thank you for all the help!!! Glad to know I’m not the only one dealing with this. 

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear that you are struggling. It really does get better, let me know how you get on with surgeon. Also don’t be worried about asking for pain relief, they aren’t the ones in pain. II’ll be thinking of you, chin up 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.