Had anyone considered giving up?

Posted , 19 users are following.

Been suffering afib for six months. Can’t function and mentally struggling every second. Always in constant fear and depression. Tried everything I can but don’t see any hope. I want to get back to the old good life so much and be a normal me. But as time goes by, I realize it’s impossible and I’m stuck for life. There’s no way out and no cure. There’s no hope in the future. I just wanted to take the anti anxiety pill and sleep, whenever I woke up I felt immediate anxious and hopeless. I used to be very engaged into my kids life, now even when the kids want to play with me, I don’t feel the passion to play with them. All I want is sleeping. 

There’s no quality for living like this. I’m affecting my family and kids. And there’s no hope to get back to normal. I know afib is not death sentence. But life sentence is worse than death. I know afib is not life threatening if treated properly, but alive doesn’t mean living life. Being only 37 and have three very young kids, I don’t know how to live a normal life anymore. Maybe an end is better than endless suffering. 

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have you ever heard of EFT Emotional Freedom Technique by Gary Craig?

• Posted

I understand where you are coming from now.  Realising your heart is not perfect is a shock particularly when you are young and think you are fit and well.  It will take time to accept this so be kind to yourself. Living with AF is not a death sentence and there are options ( medication, cardioversions and ablations).  Make sure you get good medical advice.  All the best. 

• Posted

Hey LI IM 32 AND FEELING JUST LIKE YOU... IT SUCKS. I cant drink or have even coffee now. I need someone to interact with as well.
    • Posted

I was really active too... all of a sudden i woke up and heart was going nuts... its miserable and i am feeling the same depression as you are... im afraid im going to die young or something... it sux... i sont know if it lowers life expectancy idk im scared too
    • Posted

Did you have panic or anxiety issue before afib? How many episodes have you had?

I afib sucks. I’m seven months into it and still struggling every day, mentally.

• Posted

Doctors say it doesn’t affect life span if rate is controlled and blood clot is avoided. BUT! I really doubt it! I hope so though. But think about living like this for a few decades, I can’t see anything but miserable ‘life’.
    • Posted

Hi, That is a very interesting question. It made me think of all the traumas I've been through resulting in me suffering from PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and how being removed from a school that I was happy in because they (teachers) didn't hit/smack any child ever. But, the new school I went to age six did smack us kids and it traumatised me. I'm sixty-four now and remember my heartbeat being affected by all that stress. I truly believe that stress/trauma does have an effect.

• Posted

Please don’t give up .. I and everyone on here knows exactly what you are feeling. You are not alone .. let me repeat that YOU ARE NOT ALONE. First try everything you can change your diet .. I am in the process.. it sucks but damn it I’m going to give it a shot . Try some meds if the AFib is very symptomatic,,, ie beta blockers or calcium channel blockers or anti-arrhythmics. An ablation is also a consideration... and your kids need you around ... now I’m going to shower and fix a meal ..keep this in mind you never know what’s around the corner ...  next week they could discover the absolute cure for this ... 
    • Posted

Exactly right Jim, there are so many of us and we need to get ourselves sorted so whatever suits you and there are many pills and treatments out there to suit you, go with it to lessen the effects your feel. I am now trying healthy eating and more walking which is better for me anyway and hopefully help the Afib and trying to live as normal a life as possible. Yes you get very down days but don't let this annoying condition get the better of you. You are much stronger and you can prove it.

• Posted

Hi again everyone,

After my third ablation and 10th cardioversion.  I have just been given the all clear and no AF for 6 weeks. I am on 25 mg morning and night of Metropolol which my cardiologist said to use as I see fit i.e. to slow down a rapid heart beat. At this stage I take it twice a day as a precaution. He also said it is a very safe drug.The only other drug I take is Eliquis. He said AF affects people differently and I am one of the unlucky ones who get bad effects from it as many of you do.  He said some people live with

it or spasms of it.  We can learn to tolerate it as we also learn to tolerate the drugs and slowly recover after an ablation or cardioversion or indeed an anaesthetic. Be patient but don't put up with long term poor quality of life, options are available. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.