Had anyone considered giving up?

Posted , 19 users are following.

Been suffering afib for six months. Can’t function and mentally struggling every second. Always in constant fear and depression. Tried everything I can but don’t see any hope. I want to get back to the old good life so much and be a normal me. But as time goes by, I realize it’s impossible and I’m stuck for life. There’s no way out and no cure. There’s no hope in the future. I just wanted to take the anti anxiety pill and sleep, whenever I woke up I felt immediate anxious and hopeless. I used to be very engaged into my kids life, now even when the kids want to play with me, I don’t feel the passion to play with them. All I want is sleeping. 

There’s no quality for living like this. I’m affecting my family and kids. And there’s no hope to get back to normal. I know afib is not death sentence. But life sentence is worse than death. I know afib is not life threatening if treated properly, but alive doesn’t mean living life. Being only 37 and have three very young kids, I don’t know how to live a normal life anymore. Maybe an end is better than endless suffering. 

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Oh you mustn’t give up.  Go see a cardiologist and discuss options. I had a cardioversion three year ago which helped but didn’t control. Then I went on Flexcainide which helped for a while. Then AF came back so I had a catheter ablation last Tuesday. Too soon to know if it has worked but keeping everything crossed. AF is certainly something that no one can understand unless they’ve suffered it.  It is more common than folk think and there will be something that can help you. Try and be positive 

• Posted

My 1st episode with afib happen two years ago, I was at a family cookout and ate a lot fried fish, about 30 min later my heart starting beating really fast, I was put on beta blockers and aspirin, this past Sunday I had long john silver and went into afib again!! Could it be fried fish that causes it?? Thanks
  • Posted

Please let us know how you're doing?  And hope you've found the postings helpful?  Best wishes,  LuckyPenny1

• Posted

Please let us know how you're doing?  And hope you've found the postings helpful?  Best wishes,  LuckyPenny1

• Posted

Thanks LuckyPenny for remembering me. I'm still alive and didn't commit suicide. I'm struggling though, on a second to second basis. Trying to think positive and motivate myself. I went out to walk 3 miles a day and tried doing all the good things for health, but mentally still struggling. Don't feel any joy in life and feel headache and tiredness all the time. Not sure if I can get over this, I hope so. But it's really hard. 

• Posted

So pleased to hear from you smile  You will get through this just like all of us on here have.  I was absolutely terrified when I had my first episode of AFib but, as time went on and with the help of the British Heart Foundation and their free magazine Heart Matters ( which is also online ) I slowly started to get my confidence back. It takes time so, be gentle with yourself.  Also, having a hobby may help you feel better. My dad was a fully qualified hypnotherapist for many decades and he strongly believed in these words by Émile Coué  " Every day in every way, I am getting better and better "  repeating that statement certainly helped me look at things differently and in a more positive way.  Best wishes, LuckyPenny

• Posted

There is a more positive response...so good to hear that! 

Please read up drjohnm... I got great strength from his articles. A fib made so much more sense. Everyone with a fib should read it. There’s also new research...cardiologist..can’t think of his name...but works in Australia. His latest research...will give you more positivity. 

Have you checked out beta blockers....they gave me all sorts of side effects including depression. Hope this helps. 

• Posted

Hi,  I've just read up on Dr John's AFib story and found it very inspiring smile  So, thank you for putting it on your post.  And agree with you that others should read it too.  Best wishes, LuckyPenny

• Posted

Although I chose to carry on, but I found my day getting tougher as time goes by. I feel everyday a long day. And I had to force myself to do everything single thing like getting up from bed, send kids to school, etc. i can’t help thinking about afib 24/7 even in my dream. I found there’s no fun in my life anymore. And I now feeling afraid the kids get home so I had to force myself to play with them, which I used to love doing. When I’m in bed, I feel my heart pounding so heavily, the bed is vibrating. Sleep quality is very poor but I still just want to take a pill and sleep so I can get away from reality for a while. It’s spring time, I used to be passionate and creative in this season and used to bring kids to camping and hiking in spring. Now I feel leaving the house has become difficult. I’ve tried consultation and therapy for a few months but didn’t get any better. Anti anxiety pill Amanda antidepressant just made me feel even worse. Psychiatrist thought mine is situational depression so antidepressants wouldn’t work unless the underlying situation changed. The problem is my underlying situation is afib, and I’ve been seeing everywhere each single study saying it’s not curable, even worse, it’s progressive. So I’m literally stuck for life. And as afib can’t be cured, my depression won’t be cured. I feel like no one can help me anymore. 

I’ve tried to think good though, do exercises, meditation, relaxation, eat healthy, all things I can think about. When I went 105 days without an episode and started to think I might have done something right and might be able to get rid of afib, I got hit by another episode that I couldn’t find anything as a trigger. I feel so lost and really don’t know how to live life. 

Please anyone can help me? I am very lost. But I have to stand strong for my young kids. So I keep pushing myself. For few moments I felt I was almost normal, but the next second when I thought about I still have afib I would feel even worse. I force myself to smile to play with kids to do homework with them, I look so normal from outside, but inside me I’m not ok at all.

• Posted

Have you read drjohnm...? What Meds are taking? I live e eryday with the anxious feeling and pulsating feeling from the afib. I’m not giving up...I’ve been through lots trying to deal with it. The fear lifts its head and then I become afraid of not coping with the things I used to do. However,my rational side of my brain,thankfully kicks in. I read posts on here, occupy myself doing something and I feel a whole lot better. You’re negative feelings are those that all of us have suffered ,but you can find strategies for getting better. Trust me and the others posting here. Don’t forget....read drjohnm...it should help you feel better. 
    • Posted

Thanks! Yes I’ve read Dr John M long ago, mostly of his posts. While it makes me feel a bit better, it doesn’t last long. I’ve read tons of articles and studies about afib since my diagnosis back six months ago. I’ve read everything in the first 20 pages that google brings up about afib. Sometime I feel a bit better but usually only last for a few seconds.  To be honest I still haven’t fully accepted this beast in me. I kept researching in the hope to find something can tell me that afib is curable. But as time goes by, I am losing hope. It’s extremely hard to accept this as I had so many plans with the kids. Now my life changed in one night for onc and ever. I always feel guilty for the kids that their highly energetic daddy now has become a plain old man that can barely move his butt away from bed.  I so miss the old days that I can bring kids to travel, to water park , to hiking, camping, to theme park, etc. now I feel those days are all gone. I don’t even dare to get on a flight to Hawaii that the kids wanted so much before. I did manage to drive from California to Colorado for last Christmas, as I booked a cabin befor I had afib and I didn’t want to upset the kids. But I suffer all day everyday during that vacation and never felt like me anymore. I really hope someone at my similar age can share how he lives with afib and give me some hope. Waking up in desperate everyday is not much different from death. 
    • Posted

I read all this and feel so sad but do you mind if I ask have you had an ablation
    • Posted

Hi Julie, no I haven’t had an ablation. As knowing it’s not a cure but just to improve quality of life, I am not ready for it yet. And I guess it doesn’t help with my depression.
    • Posted

An ablation can indeed be a long term solution to AF.  I know several people who have had them and no more AF. I suggest your depression is caused by your lack of not being able to be active.  I have had three ablations and they are life changing as you can get back to normal living and activity. I assume you have had cardioversions?? They should be done first and in my case usually work.  AF is caused by electrical faults and an ablation blocks the path of the fault.  Over many years it may break through again I am not sure what info you have on these.  I am not a doctor so this is just a layman's take on all this (and lots of experience and reading)  There is an exposure to radiation I believe and perhaps this is worrying you.  My cardiologist also says you can learn to live with AF as the body adjusts over time.  I have a friend permanently in AF who lives a happy active life playing tennis etc.  Is the depression related to the AF?

• Posted

My depression is from afib. Being constantly worrying about when afib could happen and thinking about long term prognosis, I don’t see a way to get out from it for all. So I feel I’m stuck with this crap and because afib is not predictable, I feel anxious about going anywhere. 

During my 2nd episode in ER, they wanted to electric convert me, but after they sedated me I converted by myself just one second before the doc touched the button. I guess even I go through ablation there will be still uncertainty about if and when afib would return, so the fear is still there. I just can’t get the peace of mind anymore.

• Posted

Hi Julie, I have been over four years out of AF and then I got an awful chest infection which turned to Pneumonia and the GP is convinced it is from that infection in the early stages. I have been in and out of hospital, this time the Bisoprolol as my emergency tablet did not work and made my asthma worse so now I have Angitil which has lowered the 230 bpm I was in so waiting for Cardiologist appointment to come through which is looking like ablation as it has been a month now. I have been so tired and cannot walk far without getting breathless so it feels this time that is really is going to impact on my life. Many say ablation does not seem to help but I suppose it is a mixed success. I am hoping it will go back into normal rhythm on its own but not looking likely.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.