Had endoscopy and all normal what next??

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I had my endoscopy yesterday and must say I worried myself sick!! I opted for the sedation which didn't work so I felt everything but it was no where near as bad as I imagined. I gagged a few times and it was over in 5mins!!

However my results have come back clear which is confusing as the reflux is bad. They did take biopsies and I have to wait on the results of those but everything seemed normal.

What will the next steps be?

I am overweight so could this be causing it, on notes I have been referred back to my doctor and they above suggested lifestyle change followed by adding ranitidine as another medication I am already on 80mg of esomprazole.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thank you

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wow! Mine came back good too and now I wonder what the hell is wrong with me! I had a lot of stomach acid but no damage. I had an ultrasound done on my gallbladder to see if that is causing the reflux. I also am doing a stomach emptying study to see if I'm not emptying fast enough. I wanted a scan to rule out any organ issues that can cause acid problems but they refused until I get the other results. Do research and press issues with your doctor!
  • Posted

I have found taking PPI's makes it hard to loose weight. But even though the weight might not have caused your problems it probably is adding to them. I do think loosing some weight would benefit you (I know it's easier said than done!) If you do need future intervention for this (i.e. surgery) most all doctors will want your weight to be more under control.
    • Posted

An easy way to lose weight is to have an all fruit day and if you can stand the taste an all juice day (80% vegetable)
    • Posted

Sorry no can do. I was eating a lot of fresh fruit and it sent my sugars threw the roof!
  • Posted

It's good news the results were clear.

You'll now have to tackle the reflux. There is no medication that will do this. Omeprazole (a PPI) will just reduce the acid so reflux isn't so harmful.

Losing weight may be the best place for you to start.

Do not overfill your stomach - eat little and often. Leave at least 3  hours bewteen last meal and going to bed. Raise the head of the bed by 6 to 8 inches on blocks so gravity can help keep any remaining stomach contents in place.

Ranitidine (an H2 blocker) at night will keep acid levels suppressed during the nighttime. It's not as effective as PPIs which are powerful drugs and should be used at minimum effective dose.

• Posted

Hiya glad it all went well .. Told you it wasn't that bad ..this is why I then had the camera up my nose . My endoscopy showed everything to be ok but after having the nose camera it showed everything was ok apart from some very very slight inflammation in my larynx.. He is not concerned about this . This is probably what is causing the burning sensation and the lump on throat . Ask for one of those are what they say as it might just be that you have a little inflammation from maybe silent reflux .. If you have that and it is ok then happy days . If it shows slight inflammation then you can work on that through next having a peptest to show how high the levels of pepsin are in your saliva
  • Posted

Extra weight won't help I noticed an increase in my reflux when I put on weight.

Lifestyle is also really important, there are some foods I love but even on the PPI they trigger the reflux.

I also find that if I bend over a lot r position myself at certain angles it triggers my reflux, oh and tight fitting clothing really doesn't help me either.

• Posted

Just wondering do you all have lots of mucous in chset and cough? My mouth burns and throat. Teeth sensitive. I go Tuesday to an ENT who specializies in LPR. I cough like somebody with Upper Respirtory infection .. only ir doesnt go away.
    • Posted

Aspirated extra-oesophageal reflux (LPR) can cause extra mucous by irritating the respiratory passages.

In a survey conducted last year, 64% of reflux sufferers reported constant throat clearing and 58% chronic cough.

The cough was my most prolific symptom. It would get so bad I was having coughing bouts till I practically blacked out every day and sitting up at night between 3:00 and 5:00 am coughing.

There's no medication to stop this. Some doctors think extra PPIs may help (a very small percentage report it does, but it may just be placebo) as they just reduce the acidity of the refluxate.

For me, the answer was reflux reduction surgery (fundoplication).

• Posted

I do basically the same as you. but some night I sllep all night long very well but wake up with all that crap in my throat. 

How old are you if I may ask. What are the complications? What are the dangers? This scares me but this is hell to go through and not a good quality of life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.