had gallbladder out 2nd march 2017 and still getting pain?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone thought i would do another post as i had my gallbladder out due to gallstone nearly 2 weeks ago and im still getting pain. Im still having pains where the gallbladder was and right side back pain which still gets very bad sometimes. Sometimes its after i have eaten and im still on a very low fat diet and watch what i eat and some times it starts when i have been walking etc or sometimes it comes on and i dont know what has made it come on? I also still get tired and weak and my stomach makes very starnge noises and feels sometimes that it is not digesting well now. I also have been having some headaches and feeling sick? has anyone else felt like this and is this normal healing symptoms from gallbladder surgery and is it still very soon after the surgery or will this last? please any help would be great thanks xx

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Carmella, this is all still very normal. You need to remember your body is now adjusting to not having the gallbladder. I was still having pains at that stage. I am 3 weeks post op today and even still having twinges where the gallbladder was. Tiredness and feeling weak, headache nausea. It's still normal. If you're worried go and see your dr. But you do need to give your body time to recover properly.

Hope this helps

Sonia xx

• Posted

Hi sonia thankyou so much for your reply im so happy you said that i have to spoke to my doctor and he said its still early days. its just very worring and just wanted to know if anyone else was feeling like this at this time thanks again xx
    • Posted

It is worrying I understand completely. I just yesterday went to the drs myself as I've severe diarreah also since my op. I've been going to the toilet up to 11 times in 1 day and literally eating only 1 light meal per day. I've now been put on some medication but your dr is right it still is early days. Just take things easy and give it time. It is annoying and stressful but it's all part of the recovery.

Wishing you all the best 😊 Xx

• Posted

Thank you so much sonia it is really is worrying. I couldnt go to the toilet the first week and now its gone the other way aswell. I had to get some more antisick tablets fot sickness and better pain meds while the pains this bad. I thought it might be because it was early days i just hate this back pain as its like it was before the surgery and i still get pains where the gallbladder was but hopefully all this will stop with time smile xx

• Posted

Hi Carmella,

?What you're experiencing is quite normal.  Everyone is different in the healing process after a gallbladder operation.  Your digestive system is getting used to dealing without your gallbladder which used to store bile until you ate something and then sent bile to the stomach.  Now the bile flows directly through to the stomach and through the intestines.   I was taking pain medication well into the third week.  You have to think of it this way; your gallbladder was attached to your liver, and now there is a sore spot where the gallbladder used to be.  Everything is healing and adjusting to this new arrangement.  If you are not feeling better by the end of the 4th week, then call your doctor.  Otherwise, give yourself some time to heal.  Get as much rest as possible, and take a 10 minute walk at least once a day outside.  As you feel better, increase the walking time.  You should feel pretty much back to normal by the end of the 5th week.  However, your body will still need a full year to completely heal.   Don't worry, you will start feeling so much better very soon! smile

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply this really helped i was so scared thinking im never going to get these pains to go away the right side of my back really hurts but like you said hopefully its just because its early days still. Ill go back to the doctors after 4 weeks if things still are bad thanks again smile

• Posted

Hi Carmella,

?I hope you are feeling better now.  Here it is the last couple of days of March. Let me know how you're doing. smile

• Posted

hi sorry i only just saw your message. Im not doing as well as i hoped but its been 4 weeks thursday since my op and im still having right sided pain and right sided back pain and still cant sleep on my sides i have to sleep on my back. i also sometimes get chest pains and also scared to eat to much still. also i get pains if i move around to much. Im hoping its still recovery pains but ive to go to the doctors at the end of the week to check up on it xx
    • Posted

Hi Carmella,

Sorry to learn that you're still in pain.  Because it's lingered so long, I do think it's a good idea that you see your doctor!  

Please let me know how you're doing will you?  As well as how your appointment goes! xx

• Posted

Hi lynda i know i really did think all my pain would stop after a few weeks but still getting pains and yes ill let you know how i get on at the doctors xx
    • Posted

Hi lynda im so sorry i have not got back to you for so long. Im still having problems pain down my right side also where the gallbladder used to be and down my back sad and every meeting or every time i go to the gp they keep saying it should settle or it might be something else in other words i dont think they know whats wrong. ive got a meeting with the surgern again on the 14th june but i dont think its going to be much help. Im so down at the moment as i can hardly do anything with out the pain starting, walking to much or even going in the car hurts. how long did it take you to feel better hun as im so scared im going to be stuck like this xx
    • Posted

Hi Carmella,

Don't worry about it...I'm so sorry to learn that you're still having problems.  Seems as though you could have some nerve damage.  I would suggest that you see a gastroenterologist.  Your gp doesn't know all the ins and outs of the digestive system.  I don't think that the surgeon will be able to be much help. sad

It took me nearly 2 years to feel normal after ny gallbladder surgery, but that's because I wasn't in the best physical shape when I had it--and I still had bile acid malabsorption after it.  It took a long time to finally get that settled!

Please do let me know how you get on! xx

• Posted

Hi lynda thank you for replying i was thinking the same thing i dont think this next meeting is going to do much and like you said with the gps i get told one thing then another so that has not been helpful. What kind of symptoms did you have after your gallbladder was out and do you feel better now. 2 years is a very long time to have pain im so scared incase i will be like this for the rest of my life sad xx
    • Posted

Please give yourself time.  No one can predict the healing process for anyone.  I still have pain under my right ribs, but it's not continuous or agonizing.  I just deal with it, as I've had it since 2009.  

You have to factor some things into your healing time.  How old are you, are you overweight, or slim and fit, etc.  The best thing that you can do is eat carefully, rest, and add beneficial exercise, like walking, when you're able.  

I'm not saying that what's going on with you shouldn't be checked out--but do yourself a favor and go to someone, like a gastroenterologist, who can/will help you. xx

• Posted

I feel the same way Carmella. I have been goi g to a chiropractor and massage therapy and it has been helping.
    • Posted

hi lynda thankyou for your reply. im only 28 and only am only 8 stone now. My pain gets so bad under my ribs that i can hardly walk far or go in a car, bend over or do anything much. I have got a meeting in june so might hear something from that im also going to see my gp again and see if they can help me go to a pain clinic. I also only eat low fat foods as i cant have fatty foods makes the pain even worse. If i dont get anywhere with my next meeting then im going to book a private appointment xx
    • Posted

I am thinking of doing the same thing ill try anything to get this pain to go away its horrible. x
    • Posted

I'm glad to know you're going to do whatever you can to find out what's happening with you!  I agree that you are in too much pain for things to be carrying on normally after surgey!

Please let me know how you get on!

• Posted

Hi hun i am going to do everything i can to get some help with this. i will let you know how i get on xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.