had gallbladder out 2nd march 2017 and still getting pain?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone thought i would do another post as i had my gallbladder out due to gallstone nearly 2 weeks ago and im still getting pain. Im still having pains where the gallbladder was and right side back pain which still gets very bad sometimes. Sometimes its after i have eaten and im still on a very low fat diet and watch what i eat and some times it starts when i have been walking etc or sometimes it comes on and i dont know what has made it come on? I also still get tired and weak and my stomach makes very starnge noises and feels sometimes that it is not digesting well now. I also have been having some headaches and feeling sick? has anyone else felt like this and is this normal healing symptoms from gallbladder surgery and is it still very soon after the surgery or will this last? please any help would be great thanks xx

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Carmella

I'm so sorry to hear you are experiencing this pain and discomfort. I'm three weeks post op and I had wierd shooting pains last week from my navel area and then aching around my back and gallbladder area but by this week it's subsiding. I have crazy stomach noises sometimes too but I guess it's the digestive system trying to find a new balance ! I'd agree with other comments be gentle with yourself it's not a race and we had major surgery along with a general anaesthetic which knocks you for six ! I've made an effort to walk a little every day this week and keeping hydrated and eating simple uncomplicated food works for me. I'm sure you will see a difference in the next week, kind regards Lisa x

• Posted

Hi lisa thankyou so much for your message and yes i know how you feel i get all them symptoms now. the back pain is on the right hand side and strange pains where gallbladder was. I also get strange stomach noises aswell yesterday it was really bad it felt like my first meal was not going down? and im still on a very low fat diet as im still scared to eat to much and finding what is ok and what is not ok to eat is hard to. Like you said we have had major surgery so hopefully its our body getting used to having no gallbladder. Im resting more and just taking it easy for now and see what happens. Thanks again for your message really helped xx
  • Posted

Hi Carmella

I ate a very low fat diet leading up to surgery. Had open cholecystectomy 04/02/17 and was in bad pain until around three to four weeks after surgery including right side back pain. Just stick to the low fat diet and stay positive.

• Posted

Hi thankyou very much for your reply. I thought it still was early days. I get worried about it as i didnt know much about the after pains and wanted to know how others where feeling after. Im still on a very low fat diet as still scared to eat much and just resting alot now and hopefully things will get better.
  • Posted

Hi

Had my gallbladder out in February 2017. I find my back pain comes on when I've pushed myself too hard. It is early days and my recovery is further complicated as I had open surgery (too many large stones in bile duct which had to be reconstructed) then had to have a liver resection a month later. I do get very tired and the incision (same one for both ops) is still quite sore at times.

However I know of several people who've undergone laparoscopic and open cholecystectomies and all are fit and well. It just takes time to recover and for the body to adjust to not having a gallbladder. I've been prescribed Omeprazole to aid digestion. I find eating smaller meals helps and I've stuck to a mainly low fat diet though I've experimented with small amounts of pizza, Chinese takeaway and fish (batter removed) with six chips. My attitude is I can keep to a low fat diet for the rest of my life if it means no pain. I have lived like this for a year now and I really don't miss anything. I never drank much alcohol anyway and I've never smoked.

From my experience I tried to do too much too soon and ended up being exhausted so think it's really important to rest and take small steady steps. I try to do a bit more each day and get out of the house as much as possible. If the weather is bad, I walk round the shops or go to a garden centre for a coffee. You need to give it time. I'm feeling so much better now than I've done in years.

• Posted

Hi thankyou so much for your reply Im sorry to hear all of things you have gone through. I had mine taken out on the 2nd of march.im also the same with the back pain but it also hurts when i go in the car or if i walk for to long and even sitting for to long in one place, i also cant lay on my right side, i can sometimes lay on my left but not for long then i have to lay on my back which also hurts sad i also get pain where the gallbladder was and it goes right round the right side under the rib and to my back. i also sometimes still get the horrible toilet problems and feeling sick. Also sometimes it feels like my liver is hurting its like a pain across my chest but lower down.

Ive stuck to a low fat diet as im scared to eat anything with to much fat in it.i also have fish and low fat jam low fat biscults chicken with out skin etc, i dont mind sticking to a low fat diet to as long as the pains go away. Do you find if you go in the car or walk for to long or bending over etc makes the pain worse? 

Im also on omeprazole which i have been on for months now do you find it helps? and are you still on any pain meds? im still on pain meds and its been nearly 3 months after the surgery? I was very ill before the surgery as i have high liver enzymes and i also had it for a while after the surgery to i was in pain all the time they thought i had stones in the bile duct so they did a mrcp and about 3 ultrasound but didnt find anything just alot of stones in the gallbladder which was pulling the gallbladder downwards. ive also had a ultrasound after the surgery and they saw a clip at the head of the liver and the gps didnt know if it was ment to be there or not but when they randg the surgerns they said they always clip it so it should be fine? im now waiting for another meeting with my surgern which is not until june but i dont think its going to be much help.

I still always feel tired still now and have lost alot of weight which the gps wants me to phone back in 2 weeks to see if i have put on wait. i also try and go for short walks and go for walks around the garden etc i try and go food shopping but that one really hurts me afterwards. 

Im so happy that you feel better now i really hope i do feel better soon because its been really getting me down. how long did it take you to start feeling better? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.