Had my hydrocele operated.Everything is very fine now.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Had hydrocele since last 7 to 8 years.Now I'm 21 years old.I was afraid of the surgery so kept on postponing it and i was in search of other solutions but nothing worked at all...may be I didn't search enough.. But at last, I thought surgery is the only choice and the only solution. Read so many articles online and I was so scared to undergo this...and a strange friend had posted an article in this blog... I asked him my doubts. He told it's a simple surgery and there is nothing to worry about it and boosted me up...Finally, I had undergone the surgery, had no complications, no pain,had a little swelling and even it disappeared after few days...now the scrotal skin is a bit swollen there and one more thing I had seen is that my surgeon had stitched my testicle to the scrotal sac.But he didn't tell me that.i read that they do this to avoid testicular torsion. It's been two months since I had the surgery. Now I'm very fine and happy for getting the surgery done but the testicular position is at the top of the scrotum... Will it go down and hang loose?Thanks.

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have the same problem that you mention that the testicle does not hang. It's been three months since my surgery. How is yours in this regard now? 

My surgeon also said that it was free inside the sac but it does not fell like that. 

• Posted

Sorry for the late reply brother. Mine is a bit better than the first 2 months.I'm ok with it...but its a bit rigid and close to the penis most of the time...

• Posted

Hi Sama007.

I have had a hydrocele for about 15 years now and it is about the size of a pear. It is not painfu just occasionally uncomfortable and looks silly! How big was yours? I want to get surgery but am dreading it!

Rob

• Posted

Hi, go get it done, the operation is so straight forward and I can honestly tell you there was no pain after, the only tablets i took for 4 days were antibiotics, sometimes the disolvable stitches annoy you but they disolve after 2 weeks. I have had 3 operations because mine came back, they told me it was my metabolism not drying the body fluid. Last operation was 3 weeks ago now and this time it looks good but if it did ever come back I would have no problem with the operation, for me it was go to sleep, wake up in recovery and go home a few hours later. Bye the way each time mine was as big as a mango.
    • Posted

Gents, had a surgery 7 days ago. Was about size of a big chicken egg. First 2-3 hours after surgery were fine (had general anesthesia ). Then my balls swollen so much I could not see di.k anymore. Was very uncomfortable laying on the back all the time. Next day I walked home with no problem and initial massive swell dissapeared on day 3. But instead of swell, I have this hard formation slightly larger then hydrocele. Starting from day 3 I felt pain walking or sitting. For the past 2 days pain gets me even when I am laying down. So having hard time falling asleep. Drives me crazy to be honest and I am doubting if I made the right decision to make this surgery. Spending 30 minutes outside of bed is Max I can accomplish for now. And most of that time I am still half laying down.

Hope none of you will get my experience.

I am 30 and sporty if matters.

• Posted

I had mine about 9 weeks ago and walked out of the hospital after 4 hours of coming round. Everything was normal, both of them the right size. This was my third operation as it kept coming back. 4 weeks down the line all was still normal, had no pain and only a dull ache right from the word go. But, at 5 weeks it started to get big again and after a couple of days it was the size of an orange. I phoned the hospital and was told I would have to return. By time I got the appointment 4 days later it had gone down again but the testicle was very firm. I took the appointment and was checked out, they felt that everything is normal but because of the firmness I have to have another ultrasound on the 21st. Although I have a slight achish pain very low down in my groin I am hoping that this is just a normal part of healing. will see what the ultrasound says, keeping my fingers crossed
    • Posted

I had bilateral hydrocle surgery around the same time as you. I also had general anesthesia. This was my first procedure. My hydroceles developed as a result of some varicocele surgery in July. Hydroceles are a known potential complicatiom. A few months after the hydrocele devolped, the urologist tried to aspirate (or drain the fluid using a needle, syringe). He told me that the chance for success was low, but that it was also low risk. The fluid was back the same day. 

I am 55 but very fit and active. I have a good deal of discomfort, similar to what you describe but not much pain. However, my scrotum is as large (maybe even larger) than before the surgery.  The size is the main source of my discomfort.  My doctor says that it is likely that I am still recovering and that it will take at least a month or two to evaluate.  I am really hoping that I will not need a second surgery. I read that the success rate for hydrocele surgery was very high so keeping my fingers crossed. It's hard not to feel that I have the same condition I had before the surgery, given the size and feel. I can feel lots of fluid in the scrotum and part of the discomfort is carrying the weight of the scrotum.  I was also told that my testicle size was on the large side to begin with, but I definitely feel the difference in my scrotum size from the time prior to my varicocele procedure. 

• Posted

If you are like me, you know deep down that it is more than likely back, mine since the initial size has gone down which is about 10 weeks now, no sighn of it getting bigger but I cannot rule out any problem as it is still hard to the touch, ultrasound in 2 weeks will tell me more, like you I am keeping my fingers crossed. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Hey brother,sorry for the late reply...mine was the same and i think a little bigger...but it also used to cause pain so much that my right leg starts paining severely with that...by the way,I never liked carrying a water bag in my pants...lol...And nothing to worry about surgery if you find a good VETERAN DOC.its the MAIN POINT.
    • Posted

Hi Al,

we seem to have the exact same problems. I am on day 7 after the operation now and I have a hard formation above the testical. Also I have pain (pulling) while I am standing, walking or sitting. 

I would like to know how your case developed after day 7: Especially the hard mass? Did it go away on its own? How long did it take? Is there anything I can do to improve?

Thank you for your response. Highly appreciated!

• Posted

Hi guys- so i had my inguinal hernia operated on last week. After 5 days i notice a large hard lump formng quite close to my testicle - not much pain and hard to touch. Feels like it is a tube of some kind going up to my groin. I have read about build up of fluids that get absorbed natrually but this does not feel like fluid....anyone else incounter this problem?
    • Posted

Sorry buddy no idea about it...mine was hydrocelectomy.
  • Posted

Had my hydro surgery eight days ago. So glad I finally had it done. I was going to wait until the fall but now it is over and the boys ( or at least one of them) is back in town. ICE is your best friend and I have been cooling them consistently since the operation.

Hardly any pain and downstairs looks pretty much normal. I was mostly scared about going to the bathroom post surgery but that was not a problem at all.  Whoever is on the fence about getting the hydro surgery.....just do it!  It sounds and looks worse that it is. First you won't remember a thing. You get great pain medicine for the first two days and then you are on Advil.  So glad it is done and over with!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.