Had steroid injection this morning for the agony in my back

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi been bad with this so long cannot remember wat life was like before ,

Cannot sit for long ,lay down , stand , everything feels so tight in legs and low back ,had surgery last year nothing happened if anything it went worse..

This morning had my first steroid injection ,and was told it can take up to 10 days to work ,

Then he looked at me and said your going to have to live with this if it doesn't work as I've looked at Ur scan , I said to him , I can't leave the house the pain so bad can't sit for long have to constantly move , he said I can't imagine wat the pains like but you need to learn to live with it and try and get out !!!

How ?? I said I'm in agony ,

I'm praying this works , can any one tell me how they live with it ,I can't move or sleep ,go out

Mimm xxx

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am so sorry to hear about your account of this malady.. Wow! Would you mind telling us what kind of surgery you had? I'm hoping the steroid injection gives you some relief. Was that like an epidural or just a shot in the back. What exactly is wrong with your back? 

You might want to consider pain management therapy at this point. I hope you make the turn with this pain. I know my back is constantly in pain and I've put off surgery for years, just to avoid what you're going through.

Hang in there.. The body really does try to heal itself. I'm hoping most of your inflammation just disappears over time. Are you taking any meds?

Keep us posted.

Glenn

• Posted

Hi Glenn

I just had a steroid injection in the lower back ,

I started with sciatica 2 years ago ,then

late last year I had a decompression first couple of days was able to sleep and sit was great ,them suddenly woke up with pain and that's it ,and gradually house bound ,cant sit for long or lay down to sleep , can't stand ..

I sleep like 10 to 20 minutes here and there , hardly any sleep ..my Dr today said looking at my scan he can't see were the problem is as nothing is showing up so sadly this is nerve pain and there's nothing that can be done ..if the steroid injection works them I can have it again. If not I just need medication to help and live with it ..

The tightness around the hips and lower back are the muscles just being so tight as my scan shows there's nothing wrong with hips ..I was taking gabapentin high dose but it did nothing so I'm on codiene and morphine when I can't cope ,im also on oral steroids, but I'm going to go back to drs to get something else if this doesn't work ..I actually very rarely take the morphine as it makes me feel sick so I take the codiene and paracetamol together oh and diazipam..

What do u take ,how do u cope ? Are u able to walk and get out ?

Mimm xx

• Posted

Hey there, Mimm - I'm still unclear what surgery you had or what vertebrate(s) are involved in your issue. Is this an L-5/S-1 issue? You seem to have a lot of muscle spasm and inflammation going. Like you, Gabapentin or Neurontin was not for me. There's very few meds I can tolerate. I''m basically winging it with a good chiropractor, bio freeze, alleve or carispodol (muscle relaxant) and xanax at bedtime. I also suffer from fibromyalgia. My neurosurgeon contends that the only procedure that will fix my back is called a foramenotomy. You don't mention any numbness in the leg or foot which is odd. You're situation is mostly pain. Have you tried a physical therapy or chiropractic care? 

Yes, I'm able to get out and move around and take it day by day. Some days the pain is remarkable and other days it will give me a break. I'm not suffering to the degree you are. All the tightness around the hips is certainly muscle spasm and you have a high degree of spasm all over your back. Have you thougth about a 2nd opinion? Not sure how old you are but this is a terrible thing to go through. A life dictated by pain. Those pain meds are nothing more than masks that make you feel like a zombie. I've been there and done that. Hot baths with epsom salts help me out as well. 

Somewhere out there, there's someone that can help you. It's just a matter of finding the right therapist or chiropractor. If you're not longer a candidate for any surgery you may need to help the body heal by building your core and getting a program to deal aggressively with this. 

I feel bad you're going through this. Nobody should live in that kind of pain in this day and age of modern meds.. 

• Posted

Hi Glenn

Decompression of L 5 due to stenosis ,and yes it is alot of muscle spasms causing the tightness in my lower back the Dr injected in the sacreollic area as that is were the pain is direct from then the pain goes into bottom and across low back ,

I have seen a chiropractor over last few months but hasn't really helped but I will call to make new appointment for next week ,fingers crossed this helps ,it's a living nightmare ..

Mimm xx

• Posted

Hang in there! You're not alone... I know myself and 3 of my friends are all dealing with this nightmare. I think once you are able to get out and walk and get moving, you'll feel a lot better. In the meantime, find the little things that help and capitalize on them. There is nothing worst they say than sciatic pain other than labor pains a woman has when delivering a baby. I hope you find what works best for you and you get out of this vicious cycle. Good Luck!

• Posted

So sorry to hear this...   I know someone who had the injection and it made it all better. BUT then my husband has had 2 injections which haven't helped at all.   His main complaint is while driving his leg hurts.  He has been to several doctors,  MRI's, X-ray's therapy, chiro..  I think next he'll try surgery but I have warned him to be careful because sometimes it doesn't fix it.    I hope you get better soon-- keep moving around and doing stretches.   Can you at least take some meds at night to help you sleep?

• Posted

Hi Kelly ,

Oh how awful that he's had it twice and not worked , I've also read it's hit and miss with people some just need the one injection and cured ,I hope he's successful in getting help for it even if it is surgery now , the pain is too bad s,good luck. .

I do keep moving and stretches , as for sleep it's the position as I'm sat just for a short time if I manage to get to bed I can't lie on my back and I can only lie on each side for about 10 minutes tops, take the diazipam at night to help ,im hoping I'm one of the lucky ones and it helps ,

thank you for replying hope your husband doesn't wait to long

Mimm xxx

• Posted

You don't have to live with this, hang in there or whatever...  Find the root cause of the problem and fix it.  At this point, you need to see a neurosurgeon.  Have him do a CT/Myelogram with contrast.  This is the "gold standard" test for the spine and gives the surgeon a complete map of your spine.  Waaaay more conclusive than an MRI.  Have this done, identify the cause and fix it.  Done.  I've had four spine surgeries (two fusions) and every one was a complete success.  Get it fixed once and for all!!!

• Posted

Hi Chico

I have wrote down what you have said so I can mention it to my Dr ,

I believe that I don't have to live like me this ,even if that Dr said today that I might have too ,there must be a reason for it you just don't get it over night for nothing ,I will try everything I can ,thank you for advice ..

Mimm xxx

• Posted

Sometimes ya just gotta go to the top spine doc you can find.  If one gives up on you, find another.  Mine has ALWAYS found a solution to my problems.  The last one was bilateral foraminal stenosis at L2/L3.  Symptoms: sciatica-like pain down BOTH legs, complete leg weakness, could barely walk, lower back pain from bending over all the time.

Did the MRI, confirmed the diagnosis with the CT/Myelogram, had his pain associate try a shot at the exact projected operating location (helped a bit but it confirmed the right spot).  Then he did a Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion (LLIF).  Woke up, ran down the hall, climbed two flights of stairs.  One night stay, no rehab, no brace.  Instant cure; miracle op.  Now I have a mini car jack in my spine that he inserted and cranked open to relieve all the pressure on the nerves.  Gotta see the guy who knows the tech...

• Posted

Well said. I feel that way, that you shouldn't have to "live with it". That's all very well of the person to say this and I feel it was not their right to say this to him.

The physiotherapist who was the 'gatekeeper' to my MRI apologized after I got the results as she had tried to dissuade me to have one, saying that all they would do is offer injections. 

I am happy to read what you have written as the combination of a CT/myelogram with contrast is a new one on me, but I am due to have a CT scan as a review of my surgery 2 years on. I am glad to hear that there are other ways to view the spine, as having had a TLIF, I can't now have an MRI, as I would cook and it is great to know that there are ways of viewing how my spine is after surgery. I know too that I will one day probably have to have more surgery, but I feel confident in what can and will be done to help me. Sometimes there are professionals who either do not know what they are talking about and can frighten patients or those who do know what they are talking about but also act as some kind of 'gatekeeper', preventing those in need alternative treatment to help them.

Your comment is very positive and helpful.

• Posted

Wow! Yeah, I had the TLIF and my back looks like the lower portion. I had my surgery at the Whittington and I was frightened, but I had to have the surgery. I couldn't live like that! It was a success too and like you, I was up and walking that very next morning. They don't like to leave you without walking immediately to ensure that you can. There has to be a reason that can be found and hopefully Mimm14 can find the answers with a CT scan. Also, it is apparently not legal (if this is the right word) to leave a person with a terrible level of pain for too long, so they must find a solution!

• Posted

Yes, I am going to have an ALIF Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion, I can't wait. the pain is killing me too.

Surgery is on Sep 17, I have a lot of faith in my neurologist.

Thank you for your comments

• Posted

Hello Mimm xxx

I know how are you feeling trust me, besides of also have depression for the life style that this pain is giving you.

I tried everything. Now my last option is going for surgery, ALIF anterior lumbar interbody fusion.

it has a 85% success at this point anything that helps me I'll take it.

I am nervous but I don't have more choices.

regards,

• Posted

Hi Dianaprincess

Yes it's so depressing , especially when Ur made to feel like you need to make more of an effort to get out !! Who wants to stay in 24 hrs aday !!

If this doesn't work and they did offer a solution and It was surgery ,the pain I'm in right now I would just do it if there are no other options ,I never heard of that surgery before but like you said you are getting to a place of no choice , I'm wishing you all the success with this surgery lovely and hope you are not waiting too long , keep me updated or if you just want to say how bad of a day it's been ,I always check on here , hopefully we can all get rid of this nightmare ..

Mimm xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.