Had steroid injection this morning for the agony in my back

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi been bad with this so long cannot remember wat life was like before ,

Cannot sit for long ,lay down , stand , everything feels so tight in legs and low back ,had surgery last year nothing happened if anything it went worse..

This morning had my first steroid injection ,and was told it can take up to 10 days to work ,

Then he looked at me and said your going to have to live with this if it doesn't work as I've looked at Ur scan , I said to him , I can't leave the house the pain so bad can't sit for long have to constantly move , he said I can't imagine wat the pains like but you need to learn to live with it and try and get out !!!

How ?? I said I'm in agony ,

I'm praying this works , can any one tell me how they live with it ,I can't move or sleep ,go out

Mimm xxx

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi mimm,

Here is my 2 cents worth:-

Similar to you, I had decompression surgery at L4-L5 due to spinal canal stenosis but mine went one step further so I've been fused too. Lets not go there.

Similar to you I was walking freely for 3 weeks before I started to notice pain. Initially nerve pain in feet. Over the last year its crept up my leg to calf and behind knee. Some very minor lumbar spinal tension. Feet so sore I can barely walk. I have tried EVERYTHING.

My neurosurgeon said that the sciatic nerve was very squeezed and white due to ongoing compression when he released it and probably the spinal canal was squashed too. I also didn't have muscle tension to begin with but its increased over time. Neurosurgeon says its could be part of the nerves healing. They have been severely squashed and are very slow to recover that it can take up to 1_2 years for neuronal regeneration. In this year I've been battling to get my fitness back. Previously I did a cardio workout 5-6 times per week for 30 years (I'm 60 now) . My GP reckons the biodynamics of walking has changed post operatively so it makes sense to start at basics and build again. Finally, I've discovered the absolute best therapy is guided relaxation. I find it virtually impossible alone. I'm working with an Emmett therapist and a kinesiologist. They are good but I'm going fo try Hellaworks which is about integrated structural realignment. They look at your whole body and tell you what's out of synch.

I'm still on Pregabalin 75 mg per day but that helps me cope with pain. Sorry for long post but I see some similar issues so tries to cover all.

• Posted

Hi Maggie

I don't care how long your post is I'm so grateful for the reply ,

It sounds really interesting the Hellaworks ,I would be greatfull if u update me on that , as my posture is out now as trying to position myself so to get straight would be perfect, also I'm trying the relaxation but on my own listening through head fones it's tough to stick with as the pain kicks in but I'm sticking with it to try it ,

I was very fit and into exercise everyday before and after work ,walked everywhere as I live by mountains and walked up them most days with the dog ..

now I keep my curtains shut as the mountain is behind where I live and it depresses me more ..

I'm going to try everything I can to get my life back ,thank you for replying good luck ,

Mimm xxx

• Posted

I really feel for the pain you are in. I had an operation after three steroid injections which did help me. Have you tried acupuncture for this at all? I know that acupuncture must have kept mine at bay for several years. Also, turmeric is said to be good and I bought a medical grade massage bed by Cyclossage and this also helped me tremendously when I could barely walk. It has a thermal technology and this really helped with the pain. At worst, I took Diclofenac suppositories and this also helped with the pain. I really hope that you can find something to help you to be able to live with it. I truly understand the pain you are going through and honestly, I would be in a wheelchair if it weren't for the things I had for it. Best of luck. I really hope the injections work for you. They really helped me with pain.

• Posted

Hi Carla

I have an appointment with my own DR next week so I'm going to ask about those suppositories ,when I went to hospital last week during night for relief they gave me one and it helped take edge off but the nurse said in the UK they don't like prescribing them unless Ur in hospital as there's been investigated about heart connection??? But omg Ur right they did work and I'm still going to ask ..

I'm also arranging some accupuncture as I'm going to try anything ,including CBD oil drops so will keep all updated if anything works ,

Thanks mimmxxx

• Posted

Hi Again, like @maggie301017 I had surgery. Mine was TLIF (Transformal Lumbar Interbody Fusion) at two levels, where I am affected at 3; L3, L4, and L5. 

I have heard great things about getting realigned by others who have physical problems such as ours and this comes from someone who is having osteopathy and also had acupuncture. I studied counseling and also mindfulness and awareness with meditation and so these things are with me and also Yoga and Thai Chi are also terrific, although physically, swimming is all that I can really get on with these days. I do work now, but I am aware that I will probably have to have more surgery now that I have started. I hope that you can get some pointers to help. Meditation can be very good. I know that I also found that over time I became slightly desensitized to some pain, although this is not necessarily a good thing, some pain became slightly bearable over time.

• Posted

That's really interesting. I think I'm getting a bit desensitized too. I have just started walking around the house and garden barefoot to help with this. Yes meditation has helped me too.

• Posted

Hi Mimm, i read your post and feel so very sad. I sat down in December 2017 and the muscles in my beck  became tight i did some yoga stretches  and an hour later was in sever pain. I was in pain for 3 and a half weeks and slowly started to get better but, my back pain never went. i started physio in January 2018 and still have physio to date. I developed sciatic in both legs in May and have been in agony ever since. My right leg is the worst with awful pain from buttock to the side of my foot, my left leg it is mainly the thigh and buttock. I have finally been referred to hospital to see an orthopedic surgeon and hope to get a scan. I am on naproxen , gabapentin and co codamol but the pain never goes, the meds just take the edge off. I still work  and sometimes do not know how i do it. Sitting is bad and laying down is bad. i never sleep well as wake with pain during the night. I hope i do not suffer for years as this is effecting all aspects of my life. x
    • Posted

Hi Amanda

It's horrible that one day your enjoying the best of life then next day thrown into hell !!

I want my life back so bad ,

Like you I dread going to bed the night is spent going from side to side that awful pain then to come to try and sit ,I've noticed my posture changing as I'm sitting strange positions ,

It has changed my life , my relationship ended and basically house bound , i lost my job , my personality has changed I use to be so happy and positive I no longer recognise my self ,friends have gone , so bi try to distract myself with stuff and read every thing about how to help it , come on here and read to see if anyone has any ideas, sometimes the exercises send me into worse pain ever do u can't win ..

I hope your not suffering too long and manage to get help ,your scan should show the problem and fingers crossed fix it for you ,

I think I have just fell into that place of seeing really uncompationate Drs who have been no help basically .

Mimm xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.