had the most draining day

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all

Had my absence management meeting today at work as I've been off for 3 months after a bad relapse following excessive workload and long hours without a break. 

The meeting was over 2 hours long and basically management have not exactly considered my condition. My union rep is fighting it but I'm worried if I fight too hard they will just make life hard when I return full time. I came out completely flawed and sat in a ball at home in the dark for several hours trying to recoup. Not sure why I'm telling you all this I suppose just wanted to link up with someone that gets what it's like.

Paz 

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The letter was from Occupational Health from the Liverpool CFS clinic.I don't see a consultant as I have been officially diagnosed. There are no services in my area as I live in Cheshire hence why I was referred to Liverpool. 

Mind you OH in Liverpool said they had to send a generic letter as they hadn't met me. I was off work - I could have met them any day but they couldn't be bothered to arrange that.

Paz

• Posted

Could you see them now? I'm not sure if that's an option open to you. It just sounds such an awful situation and I truly hope you can get some extra support.

B

• Posted

Goodness Mazpaz I sympathise. I got the push as a teacher for having cfs in 2007. I thought the 2010 act had improved things for others since me by including cfs in the disability classification. It seems not. My OH was very supportive to me as an individual, he was actually the first to diagnose me but couldn't help save my job as he couldn't say how long it would take me to get better. My Union were useless quite frankly. Just the recollection of those meetings with the Head, HR and Union when I felt so ill are enough to send me weeping to my bed right now! I was too ill to fight, I could barely get out of bed in those days. HR were simply horrid and couldn't care less was what was wrong with me. As far as they were concerned I couldn't do my job (and I admit I couldn't) so that was it. It sounds to me as if you have already been amazing by lasting as long as you have with the condition so give yourself credit for that. What upsets me even now is the fact that I left under a cloud as it were, as a 'bad' worker when I had once been a blooming good teacher and senior management member. I was treated as if I was at fault for being less capable than previously rather than given any sympathy for my failing abilities not only in my job but to have a life. I always said that if I had had something terminal they wouldn't have dared speak to me that way which was basically get better or get out! Instead it just FELT terminal to me. When I took the payoff the union got for me the relief of not having to meet with them anymore, to not have to try and justify myself and to not have to keep attempting to carry out my work was absolutely overwhelming, despite the financial concerns which replaced them. I repeat that I had hoped the 2010 act would validate sufferers who followed me. I can't believe there is this get out clause you speak of! I can't practically help you I'm afraid, I'm too far away from it now and things have changed but I am SO with you! X
    • Posted

Hi Chrissy

Many thanks for your support. I am trying to fight and spent all yesterday on the phone but ended up going in circles. Basically my Union is the only one who can fight. The equality and human rights organisation has suggested that their veiled threat - if I am not at full capacity in 12 weeks they will move onto stage 2 of Absence Management - is discriminatory. But the only way I can prove it is through a tribunal. I'm trying to get my Union caseworker to link up with an employment legal advisor, but heard nothing back since my first email 3 days ago. I hate not being able to do anything. I wouldn't find it so hard if I wasn't a good teacher...but I am. I'm glad you've got away. The system is miserable and toxic. Politicians have a lot to answer for! 

Paz

• Posted

A day on the phone fighting would absolutely exhaust me even now. I've seen your posts on other threads and can't believe how long you've been fighting this! You are amazing. I wish you so much luck, do keep me posted. I still miss children and my job.
    • Posted

Hi Paz.  you have my full sympathies,  as i too have been  in a similar poisition, but as a Midwife. i,  was exhausted trying to get representation  but found that the unions that i'd payed into, less than useless in my hour of need.  Like you as a Teacher, I was a totally a committed Midwife, but it felt that my dedication was more a hindrance and counted for noting. I had to resign in  the end without any compensation.  in retrospect, i would have fought harder and admire how you're fighting now for your rights. in retrospect, i realise how much society doesn't care and how the Unions couldn't care  less for hard working committed professionals.

good luck with your battle. 

C

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.