had tkr 2011 left knee and everything good now, now have problem with right one

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am 45 years old have had left knee tkr, had xray 3 weeks ago on right knee to be told that I have the start of degenerative changes this is what happened to the left knee and because no one could make their mind up at what to do I had to have a replacement now my doctor has told me there is no need for me to see a consultant as it's only minor I told her I wanted to see one as I know my body and the pain is mad it keeps locking and giving way but she has refused to let me see someone can they do this she said I would have to pay private to see one, I just don't want to go through another tkr at my age knowing the only last upto 20 years any advice would be a great help

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My sister has been refused a knee replacement right from the outset, she`s 50 and been told too young....she has OA, fluid in the knee, she is in pain, and when it locks (nearly always) she is stuck, and housebound...I think it depends on the hospital/area/budget etc......my sister has seen a Rheumatologist in the last 18months , but we are thinking of paying to see an Ortho peadic doctor....I have heard that having one knee done....sometimes triggers off problems with the other....get it looked at, to put your mind at rest....good luck!
    • Posted

The doctor kept telling me I was too young I tried steroid injections till last year and they were not doing any good anymore so I asked to be referred to the hospital had to fill in an assessment form as the doctor surgery has to fund the operation saw consultant in December knee was bone on bone had the op 5 weeks ago so keep pushing I am 53 
    • Posted

tell her to get a 2nd opinion?? one cons told me flatly no at 55 I would have to wait 10 years despite being like ur sister!!! The cons that has just done mine at 56 said everyone deserves a quality of life and didnt hesitate!!!!!
    • Posted

Hi linda

I am suffering the same as your sister.  My doctor thought it was a meniscus tear of cartledge but MRI revealed arthritis due to wear and tear.  

Surgeon said I was too young for TKR, (56)said there was nothing he could do and recommended lots of physio and pain killers. He also said my other knee would go the same in 2-5yrs - what joy! Very frustrated as he was one of the top surgeons. 

• Posted

My sister was told the same about miniscus tear, and all sorts of excuses....she has been told she has fluid at the back of her knee....they won`t draw that off either...she has lost two jobs now....living alone is very hard for her, but no-one seeems to want to know!  I won`t give up pushing for her, because all different ages seem to have a knee replacement.....Fustrated is a very polite way of putting it!!  Thank you for all replies..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.