had tkr 2011 left knee and everything good now, now have problem with right one

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am 45 years old have had left knee tkr, had xray 3 weeks ago on right knee to be told that I have the start of degenerative changes this is what happened to the left knee and because no one could make their mind up at what to do I had to have a replacement now my doctor has told me there is no need for me to see a consultant as it's only minor I told her I wanted to see one as I know my body and the pain is mad it keeps locking and giving way but she has refused to let me see someone can they do this she said I would have to pay private to see one, I just don't want to go through another tkr at my age knowing the only last upto 20 years any advice would be a great help

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Try asking if she will.send you for physio. I was referred to the consultant by that route. Good Luck.
    • Posted

Tried that one when having a discussion with her but a good idea thanks
  • Posted

HOW ABOUT THE INJECTIONS? THEY COULD GIVE YOU RELIEF FOR UP TO A YEAR APPARENTLY . . Whoops, sorry about the capitals. . .Doctors can certainly be a pain sometimes . . You bviously want to avoid the tkr for as long as possible, and the injections could be a help??
    • Posted

I think I'm going to change my doctor and when i have a medical I will explain what's going on I don't want to have an op I just would like a consultants opinion not a radiographer who tells the doctor what the problem is my sister has got lung cancer and a radiographer told her she had a chest infection but i will roll with the pain and see what happens
    • Posted

Yes, a good move. It's not right to tell you to pay for private consultations. Hope you get some decent service!  So sorry about your sister.  It's a terrible battle for her and for all your family. 
  • Posted

I am 56 and just over a year ago a stupid consultant told me I was WAY too young for a TNR soni insisted on seeing someone else who told me we all deserve a pain free life and has just replaced mine 8 weeks ago. Then 4 weeks ago I made an em appt with my GP cos I was in horrific pain and he told me pain was a state of mind and it would ease so after I came home and cried buckets and rang back and insisted on seeing someone else who told me there was no reason to be rollin in pain and changed my meds so I guess what im saying is stick out and insist on seeing someone else????
    • Posted

incidentally I work for the NHS and if our patients are not happy with their cons/GP we do our best to change them x
    • Posted

I remember that Andrea!  Your GP is a  . . .OK, I wont use bad language on here!  I'm glad you got it sorted out.  I wonder what yourGP will do one day when he is suffering REAL pain . . .take the tablets I'll bet!
    • Posted

Can a doctor refuse to send you to a consultant but if I wanted I could pay for it I thought I did that already paying my NI
  • Posted

Sounds like you live in the UK, and my guess is that with your medical plans, that's the situation. Is it not possible to visit a different doctor who could refer you? I hope you are able to get some answers. At 50 I had a bilateral knee replacement. I dread when I need them re-done.
  • Posted

If you are in the UK and therefore NHS you can ask to see another doctor in the same practice. Get a second opinion. 2 years ago my GP seemed to be blocking a referral to an orthopaedic consultant and when I asked if this was because it would involve a cost to their practice he admitted tome it would. The mere fact that he was aware I knew it was money and not medical care that influenced his decision, seemed to change his tune considerably. Good luck!
  • Posted

John

please see my posts on synvsc injections they work !

best wishes

Jude

• Posted

However; they won't work for everyone. The condition my knee was in there was no option. They wouldn't waste the money trying.
  • Posted

John, in my Dr's 'practice' I have seen a total of 5 different Dr's since my op 8 weeks ago...  your Dr's 'practice' must have other Dr's you can see.. or are you named on one particular Dr's list..  I found out that I am included on a Dr's listiing and I have never seen him yet!  I think there are 10 Dr's in the 'practice' all told.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.