had tkr 8 weeks now

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi iv had TKR for 8 weeks i first went to physio last week my knee bend was 35 degrees i knw thats not great after doing exercise physio gave me im at 45 degrees a week later, my problem is the exercise the physio tries to do to me is so painful i cant let him do it and so if i cant let him carry on this week he more or less said no point me going back,i do understand feel im wasting his time problem is i know i really need to get 90 bend in knee can anyone tell me can i acheive this doing exercise myself,its a shame as everything else brilliant also im still using one walking stick by now should i be using any.just found this wonderful forum and would be grateful for any advice please.vicky.

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Victoria, I'm just reading your post, and all the great responses! Especially Alli, I felt exactly as she said:

I've had my weeks of crying and wishing I'd never had it done but now everything seems to be getting better. My knee still swells and has heat but I can't turn the clock back so I'm trying to make the most of my bionic knee.

I'm 13 weeks out now. I'm finally to 101 degrees of bend. I started out low at 45 degrees of bend at my two weeks from surgery so I feel your frustration. As all have said taking the pain meds before physio was key. It doesn't completely make it pain free, but certainly helps you get thru it!

How are you getting on now, at this week?

I found purchasing a Therapy strap on Amazon for 8.99 was great for me. They have them at PT and I wanted one to slip over my foot or ankle as I do heel slides or foot pulls to my butt. I found a great used recumbent bike for home. I could not pedal a bike till 7 weeks out. Hope all the advice here gives you hope. One Truly has to accept for themself, it's YOUR LEG JOURNEY. It's done. You have to be pro active and make it happen. Keep doing on your own stretching, moving, figure what you can do. Slow is ok.

Cheers to your healing! XX. JULIA

• Posted

Hi Julia im doing ok my bend now 50 so slowly getting there i can see small changes when im walking so as long as im not going back the way im happy,although i did slip in kitchen few night's ago nearly done the splits was so painfull lost my confidence for a bit but these things happen hopefully not again lol.my physio said once you get back to normal new knee is amazing as before i got it i struggled im on my feet at work 7 hours a day so was hard,you seem to be doing good il be 9 weeks on monday and i see your 13 weeks so by 13 id be happy with 90 bendbiggrin good luck with your healing and il see how your doing on this forum il keep my progress posted,have a nice weekend Vicky.xx

• Posted

Something I suggested to the hospital that they included in the info sheets was to be careful with crutches and sticks on wet floors (bathroom or kitchen!) because they don't half slip!!!!

• Posted

Hi VICTORIA, I agree, have had TKR in both knees and pt can be excuriating, but one just has to push through it. I close my eyes, grit my teeth, go to my happy plac=, tell myself NO PAIN NO GAIN

My pt also said that eberytime it really hurts understand that pain is leaving your body for good. That really helped. Stay strong, you can do it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.