Haemorroidectomy and Anal Skin Tag Removal Recovery

Posted , 38 users are following.

Hi,

I’m now Day 5 post Hemorroidectomy and Anal Skin Tag removal. I’ve read a lot of threads on here from others who went through it and have found some useful and reassuring information. They’re all a few months (or years!) old now and I wondered if there was anyone out there going through it now or more recently that would be willing to share their experience?

I think I’ve been quite lucky in that my issue was mainly a large Skin Tag from post birth haemorroids but I did have a couple of internal haemorroids that were done at the same time. 

It would be nice to know that some time soon, I’ll be able to poo without feeling like a freight train is splitting me open! 

Thanks,

Lolly x

0 likes, 170 replies

170 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi lolly, I had a halo done in July this year and I’m doing good now. Just got to take time to heal, it took me a good 6+ weeks, even then I had the odd pain. All ok now though. Movicol will help you poop, I take it daily.  
    • Posted

Thanks, I’m sensing that time is the only healer in this case! Am just eating fruit and soup, drinking loads of water. I can’t take the movicol, it gives me explosive diarrhoea within and hour or two of eating and my food comes out undigestested!! So painful. I rang the hospital and they said not to take it. So far I’m having 2 BMs a day and they’re painful but soft and I can just let it drop if I concentrate really hard on relaxing. The first couple of times I bled and cried but now if I keep doing labour breathing like when I had my baby, then I can get through it, just can’t move for an hour or two after!

Glad there’s a light at the end of the tunnel eventually! Hopefully I’ll be back to normal by Christmas which was 6 weeks yesterday! 

• Posted

Yes it just takes time, by 6 weeks I think you’ll notice a difference. I was surprised how long it took to heal, even at 5 and a half weeks I felt rough. Maybe you aren’t having enough ruffage if you are bleeding, I never bled when I went to the loo. I rested a lot after my op, just watched tv etc. 
    • Posted

I only bled for the first one, nothing else since.

Helpfully, I have a uni assignment due, so I’m using the bed rest to research and write it! 

I’m nervous about returning to work though, I have a physical job that involves a lot of kneeling and squatting. I’ve been signed off two weeks but will see how I’m doing next week and maybe get an extension from the GP. 

• Posted

Yes I’d try and get more time off, lifting is very bad, you don’t want to go through this and get the problem returning, which could happen if you lift something. 
  • Posted

Hi lolly 

I'm abt 10 weeks post op from skin tag and x2 internals removed. All thanks to my two pregnancies.  My second was 3 weeks old when I had to have this op.    Not much fun 

The pain does get better but don't be alarmed if u regress a little here and there too

It's all part of this crappy  op recovery 

Keep updating on your progress  xx

• Posted

And two weeks isn't enough time off. Please try and get more time off   Two weeks isn't enough

It really takes a long while to recover so you might as well be kind to your body xx

• Posted

**Didn't mean to say two weeks isn't enough twice **

• Posted

Thank you. And poor you! With a 3 week old baby, that must’ve been a really tough recovery!! My daughter is 3 yrs now, I had to have some other gynae surgery first, so this is the last thing in getting back to normal following a traumatic birth!

I had suspected two weeks wouldn’t be enough. When I had my gynae surgery, they only signed me off for one week and I was off for ten weeks! Thankfully I had a lovely GP who really looked after me. 

I’ll see how I’m doing next week and get down to the GP to ask for another two weeks.

My concern is that my job is healthcare and patient-facing, so I need to be functioning at 100% and able to hoist immobile people, sit on the floor, squat down, lift equipment etc. I’m definitely not taking any chances. My body has been through enough! 

• Edited

6 weeks for me now..

Never again

Still painful having bm and after pain..

I now have as the surgeon says Skin Tags WTF is that. I had this surgery to get rid of internal n external roids and now i have skin tags and still have external roids and still bleeding inside..

This did not work for me.

A lot of pain suffering not to mention loss of work ...

Not impressed. But very p****d.

• Posted

I had my surgery exactly one week ago today so you were just behind me. The first five days were terrible mentally and physically. I was constantly uncomfortable. They did give me Percocet but I couldn't take it because it made me nauseous  no I took ibuprofen. Around a five things got better and the surgery site seem to improve. Now I'm just trying to get my energy back. I still am  uncomfortable but it's tolerable for around the house. I have a bowel movement once a day which is painful and the only time I see blood. I follow up with rinsing with a shower head to ease the discomfort and then I take a sitz bath for 15 minutes followed by applying Tucks. Early on I managed my pain with ice packs.  That was pretty much the only time I could get a little relief. I'm drinking plenty of water and I take a FiberCon once a day since stool softeners were too much for my system. Try googling a low residual diet to help with your bowels. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I’m having 3-4 BMs a day at the moment and using baby wipes which are soothing. I’ve had a bath daily with a few drops of tea tree oil. I’m just terrified to leave the house and dreading tomorrow as I have my 3 yr old to care for all day , which isn’t much fun when you just want to watch crap on TV and die...oh well!!

Hope you’re feeling better soon, keep me updates on your progress. 

• Posted

3-4 BM’s a day?!!!! Ouch! I would die! So sorry! I have found that finding the right diet to keep my stools soft but not runny hasn’t been easy. My 3rd day I took 2 stool softener sand it was horrible! No more softeners for me! 
    • Posted

Yeah, it’s tricky getting the right balance. It’s lessened now, only one today so far and was a bit less like razor blades, phew!

I had a horrific reaction to the movicol they gave me, it cleared everything through at speed within an hour or two. So I spoke to the hospital and they said not to take it.

I’ve found that pears, grapes and melon work well. I have weetabix for breakfast, soup for lunch and then some veg and grains for dinner. Everything has been soft so far, so I’m doing alright. 

• Posted

I am also on day 5 from removal of 2 large external and 3 internal. Found today a lot easier pretty physically wiped out.  BM today very (every 2 hours) regular followed by about 30 mins of pain  and need to lie down. Have finished antibiotics so will know if it was that, GA or pain/recovery wiping me out.

I blame a lot of (extreme) BM pain before today on fact I arrived at hospital after hours of nil by mouth (12 has gone by till the op) and was already constipated. No enema and codeine meant my first BMs (on day 3,4 and 5) were very very painful. Seem to have emptied out the horrible stuff and given my backside a workout. Sitting in the bath was a huge help. Will never erase certain visuals!

• Posted

Ouch that sounds like a difficult experience! 

I found the first few days not too bad but wasn’t having BMs because I hadn’t eaten yet. The worst days seemed to be days 3-5 so far, when you’re having regular BMs. I also had a lot of nausea and stomach cramps, I think from the drugs. I’ve finished all the antibiotics and pain killers too. On waking, things do feel less tender today but I’m yet to have a BM, so it could change!

Wishing you a speedy recovery too. How long are you taking off work?

• Posted

I spoke too soon

Today's BM pure agony! Maybe a stitch came out or something.  Having childcare cancelled last minute does not help... liquid diet is v appealing 

• Posted

Oh no! Poor thing!

I have sole charge of my 3 yr old today and already can’t face another episode of Care Bears!

Haven’t had a BM yet today but I already feel more tender where the stitches are and can’t wait for them to go, they feel sharp and spiky - I had that with stitches in that area previously and once they came out, it was a huge corner turned. 

Hopefully it means it’s a step forwards, once the pain settles down again. Have a warm bath, it really helps. 

• Posted

Was going to go back tomorrow and have been part time working from home since yesterday.  Can't see myself too far from home for long though so will Add a few days.   How about you?

• Posted

I’ve been signed off for two weeks. Tomorrow marks one week, so I’m halfway. Bit worried as I have a patient-facing physical job in healthcare so I need to be 100% at work. Planning to see how I’m doing mid next week and will go to GP for extension if I need to. 
    • Posted

Yes take it as it comes. Lifting my son up

down stairs is quite testing.... have you tried putting Milled linseed in everything you eat? It seems to have been key to my issues. Although staying liquid for a while. Had  bath and that's helped. 

• Posted

I haven’t tried Lindseeds but may give it a go. I’m finding that a pear, some melon, a handful of grapes and a satsuma everyday is doing the trick nicely. I didn’t get on with the movicol so haven’t taken any more. I’m vegetarian anyway so my meals are always full of veggies. 
    • Posted

I went out today for the first time, did a few errands and a slow wander round the supermarket. Have had this heavy ache all afternoon and wondering if that was too much walking, feel like I need to stay laying down now. Have you had this feeling? Or been out much?
    • Posted

My job is walking and picking auto parts maybe this is why im having so much pain ..just back to work after 6 weeks of being off.. Today not going in as im having too much pain again..

Recovery is very very slow for me it seems..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.