Hair changes???

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi has anyone else experienced changes in there hair due to thyroid. Mine was always in good condition? Now it becomes so dry and breaks easily. No amount of conditioner seems to help. Any advice or tips?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer,

Yes I noticed my hair was really brittle and broken off one day while brushing it (I mean really bad, like I could reall ynotice on one side particularly that it was a lot shorter) and had a hair appointment that weekend and my hair dresser was shocked at how bad my hair had become since last time. I could not work out why this would happen as I was doing nothing different with my hair. Shortly after this I had a doctors appointment about other issues and was diagnosed with hypothryoid and it came up that hair issues could be a symptom and all made sense.

I have started on a probiotic and also a natural Swiss supplement called hair, nails and skin - only been a month but I think my hair is seeming to get a bit stronger. Will keep you updated though!

• Posted

if by any chance you're taking Biotin make sure you stop taking it days before ANY tests not just Thyroid tests. It gives false results for over 20 tests especially ANY hormonal tests. Many labs use Biotin in their testing.

• Posted

My hair is also dry brittle and is continuously falling out you can see my scalp coming through. Assuming this is due to being undermedicated as my levels are currently low.

Before being diagnosed I had soft thick beautiful hair.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply. I am still undiagnosed. Other symptoms are cold intolerance

cold hands and feet

joint pain

flu like symptoms

over all unwell in general

nause

loss of libido

most recently all the fingers on my right hand go very red and extremely painful

• Posted

Unfortunately no supplements or hair shampoo etc will make any difference unless you sort out the hypothyroidism with treatment and get a diagnosis. I would also recommend getting other hormone levels checked such as oestrogen testosterone and progesterone as they can all wreak havok on hair.

• Posted

Hi Jennifer I used to have a full thick head of afro hair. First my eyebrows fell out at the edges, then my hair thinned. I cut it all off to start again and struggled. I found taking a supplement such as perfectly. You could also take biotin. I also started using some hair products by Monat. The all in one shampoo and conditioner have begun thickening my hair. Also the shampoo with biotin or caffeine root stimulating stuff. I hope this helps.

M

• Posted

Hi there. I have tried so many different shampoos and conditioners. Nothing helps. I guess if it's an internal problem then they won't do much goods anyway. realky affects my self esteem.

• Posted

yes-I would recommend buying some liquid cod liver oil supplement (lemon flavored!) and take a teaspoon a day! It works WONDERS!!!! after a month or so you will notice-your hair is softer. Also cod liver oil has tons of vitamin D and vitamin A-which you need if you are hypothyroid. I have tried the cod liver pills-but I swear they don't work as well as the liquid. I buy the flavored (it isn't too bad LOL) then drink water right after taking it nightly.

• Posted

OK I will give that a try. I would just love to wake up and feel normal one day. without knowing i'm going to feel unwell or which part of my body will be sore.

• Posted

You didn't mention what type of hair you have. I have a rather long list of items that you may or may not have tried:

Apple cider/white vinegar

Home-made fermented rice (organic jasmine/basmati/or other, soaked in vinegar for a week or longer. I use for hair and skin, but do a patch test, first)

Yogurt mask (I use activia and organic greek, sometimes I have used Norwegian/Icelandic)

Kefir mask

Honey mask (I alternate using acacia, buckwheat, hawaiian lehua/hawaiian white kiawe, raw-unfiltered, manuka: very small amount as it is expensive, take internally also, if you can: also, patch test. )

Goat milk soap, shampoo/shampoo bar (I alternate different brands)

Shampoos:

Theorie green tea shampoo (my preference)

Beer shampoo/shampoo bar (my preferences are Duffy or Orzene; you can use with honey)

Head n Shoulders (I use Ocean Fresh or Eucalyptus)

Monoi shampoo (Carol's Daughter or an Pacific Island)

Ayurvedic shampoo (Khadi's sandalwood and aloe are my favorites)

Circle of friends (sold for kids, but it makes my hair soft)

Himalayan anti-breakage shampoo

Dhathri Dheedhi shampoo (herbal or chemparathi thaal)

Mink oil shampoo

Teas:

Stinging nettles tea, kombucha tea, hops tea (ask your physician if you can consume)

Vitamins:

C, B-complex, omega 3 fatty acids, black currant oil(GLA) silica, stinging nettles, saw palmetto, zinc: check for zinc, magnesium, and perhaps selenium, (may be difficult to test for deficiency of selenium; glutathione peroxidase may be available) hemp/chia seeds ( in moderation, because too much can be inflammatory)

Oils:

Hemp oil, argan oil, monoi/tiare oil, coconut oil (also shampoos for these oils: I like Carol's Daughter monoi shampoo) marula oil, mink oil, murumuru oil, myrrh oil, sandalwood oil, lavender oil, rose oil, rosemary oil, sage oil, clary sage oil (patch test, and may need to dilute with a carrier oil.

Finally, unfiltered shower water is unhealthy for hair.

• Posted

Hi sorry. I have thick hair that has a wave through it. It's mainly my scalp and roots that are the worst. It's like it can't retain any moisture or loses moisture very quickly. I have a fringe cut in which is the most damaged part. Goes so dry and is full of breakage. just looks awful. I have tried apple cider vinegar and also honey mask. That didn't help.

• Posted

Aside from the other options that I mentioned, (topical & internal oils) you may need to consult with an endochrinologist, dermatologist/trichologist.

What is your diet and fluid intake like? Also, do you take vitamin/herbal supplements? Are you on prescription medication?

How often do you wash your hair, and have you an effective water filter when you wash your hair?

• Posted

Jennifer,

I just had a thought that popped in my mind about your dry hair and scalp. I am wondering if steaming your hair would benefit you?

• Posted

I an seeing an endocrinologist soon. with other symptoms it makes me think it's all hormonal . I wash it every 2/3 days not taking any vitamins or on any medication at the moment.

• Posted

I bought a heated cap bit that didn't help. Did you mean something different?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.