Hair loss and gallbladder problems?

Posted , 18 users are following.

Has anyone else experienced hair loss because of gallbladder problems? I have battled hair loss for 5 years, which has become extreme in the last 12 months, exactly when I started to suffer digestive issues on a daily basis and gain weight. All of my symptoms are hallmarks of gallbladder issues: pain in the right upper quadrant of my abdomen, clay coloured and fatty stools, lots of gas and bloating. Ultrasound came back negative for gallstones. However, I'm scheduled for a HIDA scan soon. My hair is dry, lifeless and falling out in clumps. My TSH, T3, and T4 have been consistently within normal range for 18 months. Same thing as far as sex hormones are concerned. Both liver and pancreatic enzymes are within normal range too. The only thing I can attribute this hair loss to is my digestive issues which all point to gallbladder dyskinesia. Thanks guys for your help!

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

no but my doctors tell me it maybe from the surgery itself and since it was a big change to my system it may be a year for my hair loss to regulate. after a stressful event like surgery the hair loss can follow, ive had my hormones tested and my iron is a bit better. there is a supplement called Viviscal my dermatologist recommended i think it works it just gave me some reflux.

• Posted

Thanks Jenn. Hopefully our hair grows back to its former glory soon!

• Edited

absolutely my hair started falling out first then around 8 months later I started having gallbladder issues dr did not think any of my symptoms were related UNTIL they removed my gallbladder within 3 weeks my bald spots all had hair coming back after having alopecia for 8 months plus it was a huge blessing my dr was amazed and now know other signs and symptoms to look for. now my new hair is roughly 6 inches and still growing and finally have color it came back with no pigment at first.i had a total of 3 places ! hope this helps image

• Posted

I started losing my hair in November of last year it started out by itching , stinging, then burning. Then this year in February I was diagnosed with gallstones and alopecia. I was told by my internal doctor that my gallbladder is not fully functioning. I asked the dermatologist if the gallbladder problems had anything to do with my hair loss and she said no. I noticed that every time I ate something spicy or did not agree with me, my scalp started hurting by burning and stinging for hours until the food was fully digested. I started just drinking fluids and now my head don't hurt. I have several bold spots and I think it's related to my gallbladder not working. I'm scheduled to have gallbladder removal by laparoscopic September 16, 2020. Please let this be my miracle to my alopecia.

• Posted

Very interested in your progress...would you share with me? Sharing your image was hard I know, it but helped me so so much....that's how mine looks too! I am just 7-8 weeks out of GB removal and am scared to death my hair is gone forever.....Jacqueline

• Posted

Katybug, hope this finds you well. How did you surgery go? I had mine 7-8 weeks ago. Our stories are extremely close in facts. Nov 2019, my last haircut with my regular person. Broke down and finally had to go in a few weeks back...she looked at my hair and said, OMG, what happened? I believe you and I suffered/suffer the same fate. My GB sent stones all through my body...imbedded in my liver and pancreas are the only ones that had to be removed by surgery. I have ask and ask my doctors if the GB issues caused my hair to fall out...SAME ANSWER as you, NO. I don't believe these doctors know ANYTHING!!! We have to be our own doctors at times. I did not have the direct scalp issues like yours, but lots and lots of hair loss. After the doctor removed the GB and the stent (to keep more stones from traveling), they all said I was fine! Hope you doing well, Jacqueline

• Posted

have you noticed any peach fuss coming in mine started back about a month after surgery of gall bladder removal. it took awhile to finally grow out and to get color back it came back in white then i had the problem of one side of my hair not growing at all i finally bit the bullet after trimming a total of approximately 18 inches off during 3 cuts i went and had my hair all cut it was do or die i was either gonna get my hair to grow or be stuck with the new length i am happy to say it is all growing now!

• Posted

girl i truly hope it is gonna fix your hair problem believe me i know what you are going through. i will tell you my DOCTORS was so surprised i was right and my hair started coming back after gallbladder was removed. now they use that information to help others. keep me updated let me know if you start noticing peach fuss. dont freak out when it comes back white its normal over time it will thicken and come back your normal color. hope surgery went well

• Posted

I have had hair loss for a while but since just before all this started, it started coming up in shedloads. I'm praying it will grow back.

• Posted

Hi...so sorry to hear about your gallbladder problems. One year ago I started to notice extreme weight gain, extremely dry lifeless hair, hair loss, extremely dry skin (I previously had very good skin) , dry crusty skin around corners of my mouth ,some yellowish skin on my eyelids , loose/greasy stools and lots of bloating. Regardless of how much excercise and careful eating the weight continued to pile on. Then after eating some greasy food at a party I wound up in immense pain in my upper right side. I was then sent for an ultrasound which revealed I have gallstones. I saw a surgeon who said he wouldn't remove my gb even though I suffer. I asked my family doctor to be referred to a different surgeon as I am suffering in pain and discomfort and the physical symptoms are very depressing. I'm hoping to get surgery soon. From everything I have been reading gallstones cause malabsorbtion of nutrients which explains the skin and hair issues. I feel your pain as it is very frustrating. I hope this helps shed light on this. Hope u are better soon

• Posted

my wife had major pain, doc said gallbladder though ultrasound didnt show stones. After removal my wifes eye brows fell out and hair became brittle. she was eventually diagnosed with CAH. I disagree with the diagnosis, we have two kids and CAH is usually onset as a child and leaves you sterile. Doc says adult onset CAH.

• Posted

Hi Carlem! I know this thread is old, but did you ever find out what was causing your hair loss? I have been losing hair pretty intensely since I was around 18 years old. I am now 48 and the last 10 years its been severe. I have had bloodwork over the years and over and over only to be told I am within the normal range. i had a HIDA scan a couple of weeks ago fir the second time in my life and while it said my gallbladder is functioning within the normal range, because of digestive issues and severe nausea more times than not, I am having it removed on the 4th. Mind you my digestive issues are all over the map, but I am seriously thinking while my gallbladder is not good regardless what the test indicate, it is more of a liver issue...

• Posted

I cant even believe you have been suffering so long. I'm 31 now and have been suffering with hair loss, ruq pain, and a whoooole mix of digestive issues for roughly 4 years and I can deal with the pain but the hair loss has been detrimental to me as it was something I was very proud of my entire life. now after going thru all the loops....1st i was told it was IBS. then Stress....then hormones. I've had recurring kidney stones since is was 15 and the diarrhea i thought was normal since ive always had digestive issues theyve only gotten worse over the last 3 years and then the last few months have been intense. so many doctors visits....ER visits.... after my last kidney stone my awesome urologist (who has done everything in his power to help me figure this out) set me up with a gen surgeon. on my 1st appt I didnt meet the doc I met his attending and when i went over my symptoms or complaints he snickered when i mentioned hairloss. I got livid and asked why he snickered?! he proceed to explain that it cant be gallbladder related hairloss....i proceeded to tell him I have done every test...blood work up..scan..xray..ultra..MRI..CT. and that I never said it was my gallbladder I simply stated I have serious digestive issues that I do in fact believe are causing my hair loss. well he passed the info to the doc and told me wed do a HIDA long story short my HIDA was normal 46% tbe and doc stated he couldnt do surgery I was about to start crying I felt broke ....when he asked me a simple question "how did you feel after the HIDA?" I answered honestly and told him I felt pain and nausea during and I could feel spasms in that area. him and the residents all looked at each other and signed in relief and said its my GB......i was supposed to have it taken out last Tuesday but my doc caught the Covid....now rescheduled for Thursday and simply terrified about this but excited to see if I can have a normal life again...

• Posted

I have just been reading about your experiences. I too have suffered hair loss for last 10 years or so. I put on tons of weight and no amount of diet and exercise shifted it.. Ive also experienced the types of digestive issues that you highlighted. The colic and pain I felt after I had eaten any meal was the worst. I vomited and had serious bowel issues. I finally had my gallbladder removed two weeks ago. It took seven years and several Accident and Emergency visits before doctors were convinced that it needed to go. On my last visit to A and E, I literally begged for someone to do something and refused to leave the hospital until they did. I am usually very quiet and compliant! Because of the pain, my blood pressure had reached 220/100 and the agony was unbearable. It was only after the Cholecystectomy that my surgeon admitted it was very infected. This thing and been poisoning my body and destroying my liver for goodness knows how long.

I cant tell you how incredible I feel now only two weeks on. For first few days I had a bit of post operative soreness etc but compared with what I had been going through, this was an easy thing to put up with. Pain now has completely gone and for the first time in ages I feel energetic and physically well. I am going back to work on Monday and cant wait. Many health professionals try to persuade people with gallbladder disease to prolong surgery by eating less fat etc. I have read many articles about difficulties having no gallbladder can cause. My response is that nothing could be worse than what I was going through. In my case, having my gallbladder removed has absolutely saved my life. So far I havent experienced any side effects and I am eating normally. I believe that if something is making you ill it needs to be fixed. If my hair starts to grow thicker, and I shift some weight that will be a bonus. But nothing would make me feel better than I do today. I wish you much luck with this. Be persistent and get this thing sorted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.