Hair loss. Help!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Is anyone here suffer from hair loss? I don't know what to do.

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi  I suffer from hair loss and have been diagnosed with SS for 22 years now, i am 53, i could pull hair out, i started to take vitamins for my hair, i live in new zealand and it is called Hair skin and nails, and i take a about 2 teaspoons a day it had done alot to improve my hair, and skin  as you see my picture that is a 2016 picture of me,I also only use salon hair and conditioner much better for your hair, and i do not use hair dryer on my hair, unless i am going to out to an event.but a good hair cut if your hair is long can help too. I also use other products in my hair to make it appear thicker, it is a hard one you could always buy a fake ponytail and wear your hair like that too, or just buy some clip in hair to make your hair seem more fuller, Its a terrible thing for a women to have hair loss hope our hints help you chrissy 
  • Posted

I am losing alot of hair, almost afraid to wash it..as it comes out in clumps..I don't know how i am not bald yet!!!

• Posted

Do you have hair loss also from your eyebrows? do you have itching before the hair falls out?

• Posted

Kim and Lia - I don't want to annoy you by stating the obvious, but have you both had blood tests for thyroid function? Sjogren's frequently attacks the thyroid. This was true in my case. I lost practically all my eyebrows (which never grew back) and a lot of hair before I was finally put on levo-thyroxine (synthetic thyroid hormone). This stopped the hair loss but very little of the hair I'd already lost grew back.

• Posted

Hi Lily, My thyroid levels are a little off, but i have very high thyroglob antibody levels.. Haven't seen doc since these were drawn, so I am not sure what the plan will be. My eyebrows are fine thoughsmile

• Posted

I did, I have SS. I started taking omega-3 (900 mg) 3 capsules a day and Ginkgo Biloba for capilar circulation and help my foggy brain sometimes. It helped my hair stop falling and is longer and strong. Along with vegetables, Jello, and fruit. Shampoos with keratin will help too.
    • Posted

I have less hair these days: I think I will try your suggestions.

Anything that might help!

• Posted

Awesome! I hope it helps. I take only 1 capsule of 500mg of Gingko Biloba.
    • Posted

Thank you for your specific suggestions I will try them. My hair loss has increased significantly.
    • Posted

Joyce, are you still following through with the thyroid investigations? That's the usual culprit for hair loss.

• Posted

I don't think I have thyroid issues but I will recheck. And several years ago blood tests did not confirm Sjogren diagnosis although I have many symptoms. I just turned 76 and I think docs attribute my symptoms to age. But the hair loss is becoming frightening. Thank you for your response.

• Posted

Joyce, these boards are full of people whose blood and lip biopsy results don't suggest Sjogren's, but who clearly have it. I've never had a lip biopsy, but I know that my inflammation markers come and go. They can be high for a few months then go back to completely normal for a couple of years (with the exception of a constantly raised CRP). In my case, it clearly depends on when bloods are done.

However, thyroid insufficiency should show up consistently on blood results, so I think you should push your GP a bit on this one.

Unfortunately, it is normal to start losing hair as we get older, and also for the remaining hair to become finer and of poorer quality. I know about this one as I'm 72 myself! However, age-related hair loss is usually more of a slow, ongoing process, rather than dramatic. Loss of eyebrows specifically is often a sign of thyroid insufficiency but it isn't universal. We're all different. The fact that you haven't lost your eyebrows in no way means you can't have an underactive thyroid.

I suspect you're in the UK, where I know some doctors are scandalously negligent about routine testing for thyroid activity. (I was born British, worked as a nurse in the NHS for 10 years, then shipped out 40 years ago.) I remember when one of my mother's friends, who was in her late 70s, told me about her experiences. She'd been going to her GP for about a year complaining of feeling exhausted, which was totally out of character for her. The (female) doctor kept telling her she was depressed and trying to prescribe antidepressants. She actually asked this poor woman: "What have you got to look forward to?" It took her hairdresser to raise the alarm because she was losing too much hair. She told her to go back to the doctor and insist on a blood test for thyroid hormone levels. Sure enough, they were very low and she was eventually put on thyroxine.

I'm not saying you definitely have an underactive thyroid, but you should be checked for this every year. I don't know why British doctors don't all do this, as ours do. The test itself isn't very expensive and thyroxine (synthetic thyroid hormone) costs just pennies!

• Posted

Well my eyebrows disappeared three years ago and are never coming back. I wear long bangs and it is no big loss. It does amuse my Grandaughter. lol.

My hair fell out in clumps so I had it shaved and started over. My lifesaver has been 5000 of Biotin each day. The hair on my head grew back and seems to be staying although I shed frequently and that makes me worry. The upside is that I don't have to shave my legs as often. eek.

Shorter haircuts are advised for thinning hair also. I am on Synthroid but have been for years and never had this problem. Good luck and try the Biotin.

• Posted

Thank you.

Do you have problems with your thyroid gland?

• Posted

Iam getting ready to start using caster oil. May swear by it. Worth a shotsmile

• Posted

I'll let you "go first", no pun intended cheesygrin. My fear is diarhea. I have issues with electrolytes that was it is.My Collie takes Cod Liver oil and that smells terrible. He does have a shiny coat.

Seriously let me know how you feel. I do take vitamins and magnesium and vitamin E. I think that has helped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.