Hair loss with Methotraxate

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

Hope everyone is doing good. Just wondering if anyone has experienced hair loss with methotraxate? I have been on 25mg per week for the last 4 years recently reduced to 15mg a week along with planquiel and enbrel injection once per week. Is there anything i can do to help or should i ask to change from methotraxate to a different drug. Im 31 and my hair has gone so thin.

Thanks everyone 😃

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Mine started to fall out in clumps after a week! Are you on enough folic acid do you think? Some people need more. My mtx was for something else - so when the fatigue got extreme I said no more. But I don't have RA.

• Posted

hi eileen i only take 5mg of folic acid two days a week. i wonder do i need more. i need to book an appointment soon as i was supposed to be called at christmas. the fatigue is the worst isnt it 😦

• Posted

Hi Clare

I have been injecting 25 g mtx for 16 years I have always taken 30 mg of folic weekly not within 48 hours of taking Mtx so I inject Thursday night take the folic Sunday I go through periods of hair thining when I notice I immediately increase to 40 mg weekly for a few weeks

Along with that I use a product called grow me you can buy shampoo conditioner and leave in conditioner

I'm not recommending it but this has worked for me

Hope this info helps

• Posted

I have a different a/i disorder - and with mtx I felt worse than I ever felt with the illness and no treatment at all!!! I think I went up to 5mg folic acid almost every day I wasn't taking the mtx - some people need much more than others.

• Posted

Hi Jay. Thanks for your message. I have never heard of that product i will look it up. Thats so much more folic acid then what im taking. i am really going to push for my folic acid to be increase. im sure it wont do any harm!!! i just cant understand why i was put on such a low dose from the start. they must have had their reasons i guess. thanks again

• Posted

hi eileen sorry to hear it made you feel worse. did you find something that worked for you? yes im sure theyll have no problem increasing mine.

• Posted

I'm on prednisone - only thing that really works but many rheumies are terrified of using it and try to get us to lower doses by adding mtx or something else, i.e. adding another layer of side effects in the hope of achieving a lower dose, which actually is relatively rare. I do OK - providing I don't have to fight about it!! Or deal with too much external stress (like currently the wondering will I still have medical cover in March 30th!!!)

• Posted

Hi Clare,

I am on Methotrexate 20 mgs and haven't experienced any hair loss.

• Posted

hi jojo you are one of the lucky ones i guess. i never had thick thick hair so its just so noticeable now when any bit goes.

• Posted

I am on 20mg of methotrexate and about 4 months after starting my hair went thin and was falling out 12 months later it has now settled down and thickening up. I take folic acid 6 days per week think this helps. Check with your rheumatology nurse

• Posted

hi sez. i only take 5mg twice a week of folic acid. i think this is more then likely the problem. were you always on folic acid 6 days a week? i have always been told to just to take it twice a week i have never questioned it. thanks for your message

• Posted

Started once weekly but was increased to 6 days when the nausea kicked in this then settled and the hair thinning started but now seems to have settled for the time being but still not pain free and fed up with the tiredness

• Posted

ok thats good to know. ill say it to my doc and get my doseage put up. it could help me. i think the only time im pain free is when im on steroids. i have constant pain in my hands and feet. it could be a lot worse i guess. i feel like all i say is "im tired" lol.

• Posted

Do you take oral or inject

If you take oral ask to switch to injection easy to do they come to you in a ready pen now it by passes you digestive system no nausea (or much less) plus you absorb more dose when you take an oral dose you only actually get 75% _80% of the dose with injection you get more

Worth trying

• Posted

i take the tablets i inject enbrel once a week. i wonder would i be allowed to do both injections? i often wondered how much you injest by taking the tablets orally.

• Posted

I was injecting both but Enbrel did not suit me at all suffered chest infections kidney infections Etc

I now inject MTX weekly and Golimumab monthly been great for 18

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.