Hair salon

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello, I have a question for the ladies - how soon after your THR were you able to go to the hair salon? I'm concerned about sitting in the chairs where you lie back to have your hair washed.

Thank you,

Betty 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Bettyhill

I would imagine you'll be fine. Most salon seats are height adjustable and leaning back to have hair washed will be fine. Leaning forward would be a problem.

It will be good for you to go and get pampered. I am going next week hopefully.

Sandra x

• Posted

Sorry predictive text decided you were called Bettyhill for some reason 🙁

• Posted

Thanks Sandra. Hope you get to go next week ~ when was your THR? Oh, and I don't mind being called Bettyhill. I'm sure I've been called worse, ha, ha

• Posted

I am 8 weeks post op and feeling really good. Getting round to doing 'normal ' things now....without pain. I love it.

Sandra x

• Posted

Just saw your reply to others. I went to hairdressers just before my op too. You'll be fine. It was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. If you remember to be kind to yourself and not treat it as a race to be off crutches etc you will recover quicker overall.

Good luck for 11th. It is amazing this side and we'll be waiting to hear how it went.

Sandra x

• Posted

I would say that so long as you can sit back in a lounger you can have your hair done, you could ask them to not put you so far down in chair. Can you pull yourself up from a half supine position
  • Posted

Eight weeks for me, mostly because my hair dresser does it out of her house and her set up is in the basement.  I had no problems going up or down the stairs and sitting for 2 hours didn't bother me either.  I've had both hips replaced and the was true for both situations.

• Posted

I went at 2 weeks, the chairs where you sit to have your hair cut were well high enough, I suspect most are. I stood, and leant over the bowl to have my hair washed as that chair was very low and sloped back so I would have broken the 90 degree rule.

Had a pedicure as well. Made me feel so much better 

• Posted

Thanks Alexandria, Deb and Maggie!

I find your answers encouraging. I guess if I would have thought it through, I don't know why it would be a problem as it is no different than sitting in a lounger, like Alexandria said. I have not had my surgery yet (my date is October 11th) so when I go in for my last hair appointment before "the big day", I was wondering how soon I would be able to book another appointment afterwards.

I guess I'm fearful of the unknown. Just don't know what to expect!

Thank you for your responses! Betty

• Posted

I had the anterior approach and I went to get my hair cut at four weeks post surgery. No problems and I felt so much better! We women do like our hair to look nice!
    • Posted

Wonderful! I'm having the anterior approach as well, and every four weeks is usually when I get my hair cut, so it should work out fine!

Thanks Anne!

• Posted

Why is this just for ladies? I'm a tough guy, but I do go to guys only hair salon and get cut and washed. In fact the day before surgery I went and got cut. No I'm starting week six and today just got ok to drive. So I'm headed there. I think the chairs that lean back will be ok. I suggest you tell the stylist?? That you may need a hand to pull out of chair. That's all I needed when I started recliners a few weeks ago. And I'm behind by about three weeks due to leg swelling on day 8 post op. I had posterior. Rthr keep in mind even if chair is low just keep operated leg stuck out as you sit down. But don't be afraid to ask for that hand pulling you out of chair . I suggest new color new length. Overhaul it! New hip = new you= new hair!!

• Posted

You are right Chuck, I should not have left out you lovely men! smile  What was I thinking?!

How did your appointment go today and how did it feel to drive again? Did you have any problems in the salon chair?

I am going a week before my surgery for "the works", cut, color, etc., because I was not sure how soon I would be able to go back.Terrible to be so vain sad

Good luck to you and thanks for your reply!

• Posted

I went to the hair salon about a week after my first THR. It was just  down the road from where I live. The salon I went to had chairs with leg raisers on.  I also had a quick facial there while I was at it. They lowered the bench so I could lie down.  Just explain to them before and I am sure they will help you.

• Posted

A week? Well, that is encouraging! And a facial as well! It seems as though I'm worrying too much about the small stuff. I tend to get myself worked up over things and need to stop doing that! Reading everyone's responses is encouraging and I thank all of you for that!

• Posted

Hi Betty

To be honest you will be surprised at how much normal stuff you can physically do very quickly. I was looking forward to being looked after, meals cooked, cleaning etc but it was short lived as within a week I was feeling guilty as I could do most of it. Just tiredness so needed to do a little and then rest. I was absolutely amazed at every turn on this journey that it was a million miles better than I was expecting. I can remember wondering how it would actually feel. Well I can tell you it feels amazing.

Sandra x

• Posted

Oh, thank you Sandra for your encouraging words! I had to laugh at you saying how you were looking forward to being looked after, meals cooked, cleaning, etc., but was short lived!  I guess that's good news and bad news. The "bad" meaning I think we all want to be looked after and pampered once in awhile, taking a holiday from our every day lives, ha, ha, but the GOOD news is how great you feel after having the surgery done! That's what its all about! smile

Thanks Sandra and take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.