Hallucinations? Feeling things?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Ok I have a feeling it's only me with this problem, been on propranolol slow release 80mg for 3 weeks and just started to experience waking up in the night and seeing a figure of a child, then last night I woke up and felt a mouse running under my duvet, there was nothing there sad this only happens when my brain has just woke up , anyone else experienced anything like this? Medication was working great until this happened

2 likes, 25 replies

Report / Delete

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I take propranolol 80 mg twice a day and recently have had hallucinations in the middle of the night. Don't know if it is the propranolol or my sleeping pill. But when I wake up in the night I also see things that I know are not there. When I fall back asleep and wake again it is stiill there.. WEIRD OR WHAT. I am thinking now it is the propranolol as it is still happenening and I lowered the dose of my sleeping pill.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi there, just came across your question and had to reply! They are night terrors, kind of like nightmares but your brain keeps them going for a few minutes when u wake up...it's 100% the propranolol and it will go away!!! I was on 80mg propranolol for migraines and started to scream through the night with them but it goes away, it's just something it does to the brain, very strange! It's one of the biggest side effects listed...nightmares. I've been off them for a year and just went back on them today and terrified as I know I'll have night terrors...normally it's a spider running across the pillow but I did have butterflies once lol, sometimes a witch in the corner though ewwwww!!! Xx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

How long do I have to be on the propranolol 100mg twice a day before thee hallucinations stop. They are really freaking me out.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi donella, they should calm down very soon. I restarted my propranolol last week and on the second night opened my eyes and screamed the house down cos I thought the shadows in the room were coming towards me. Usually I would get them once in a wee while....you should not be getting them lots. I wonder if it's worth mentioning to the gp? They may need to taper your dose. I mentioned night terrors to my gp but he didn't have a clue! I still get night terrors occasionally without the propranolol as well, so it's just one of those things. I notice if I have a glass of wine or am overtired it makes it much much worse! Xx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I will be on this dose for quite a while until it does not work anymore. As that is what happened with the other medication (beta-blockers) I was on.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I also started smelling things that weren't really there a few weeks ago, doesn't happen very often but when it does I just laugh as I know it's just a side effect of the drug !!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

STAY AWAY FROM BETTA BLOCKERS.  I FAIL TO UNDERSTAND WHY DOCTORS DONT RECOGNIZED THAT MEDICATION WITH BETTA BLOCKER CAUSE HALICINATIONS. WOULD HAVE HORROR PARTIES ON NIGHT TIME.  WHEN THE BETTA BLOCKERS WERE DISCONTINUE, A FEW WEEKS LATER, THE HORROR ENDED.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I was on half inderel 80-160 but stopped without realising after deaths in family 5 of them on space 6 wks but can notrecall hallucinations on them but i have experienced hallucinations & still do from time to time, ghinking things are at side of me or passing me also in night going to sleep as if my eyes are still awake in dark & see shadow things .

Xx

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up