Hand Foot and Mouth Adult......HURTS!

Posted , 28 users are following.

WELL I AM 29 AND HAD CHICKENPOX A FEW YEARS AGO AND THIS IS WORSE!

SO much for all the 'MILD' stuff you see on every health website... :shock:

I caught it from my daughter who is 14 months and was in a pretty bad way.

Started with Fever, Feeling Sick, Sore Throat, Aches in all my joints especially my back and the backs of my knees.

Feet and hands feel swollen..

And face and neck.....

Day 2: Spots on hands, and in mouth my mouth feels like it is burning inside.

Feel totally crap

Considering when I had chicken pox the doctor said it was the worst case she had ever seen and gave me anti virals this is worse! I think the NHS need to rephrase there wording on there website. Can't believe my little girl has had to go through this.

Best wishes to all of you suffering.

6 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi... I'm 40. it started Thursday with some chills and fever. Friday morning it continued what felt much like a common cold with a sore throat. I noticed a itchy spot on my thumb but didn't think it was related. In the evening my hands where covered in itchy red spots. I couldn't sleep all night. I first thought it's hives/urticaria and went to the chemist and bought antihistamine tablets, but they had no effect, so I went to the doctor Sa morning. He told me it's HFM disease. By that time the itching was really bad. I have a few spots on my feet, but it's not too bad. I don't have anything in my mouth, but in my throat. Some types of food are more painful than others to swallow. It's like blades going down my throat. My hands are the worst. It's Saturday night now. Hands went from ichy to very painful, swollen and stiff. They have little bumps all over, more on the backside than in the palm. I'm rotating ibuprofen and paracetamol. I think it helps, but not much, it's still pretty painful. Running cold water over them numbs them for a moment. I'm glad I have found this thread. It's easier for me to know I need to be prepared for a longer period. It's not a great time for this in my life.

• Posted

I'll tell you. my heart goes out to you. I had this stupid virus 1 year ago and though not life threatening it is the most miserable virus I have ever had. it was 2 1/2 weeks of hell. my face was so swollen my kids didn't recognize me in the pictures I sent them. I was able to get a prescription for cortizone but I'm nor sure that helped much. Pacing, reading this blog and multiple showers a day (no soap) were the only things that kept my sanity. 3 months later I began to loose my finger nails....all 10...1 by 2. the disease that just keeps on giving. hang in there.

• Posted

i hope you are starting to feel better.

once it begins to feel dry vasaline really helped, especially on my face. my nose peeled 3 times. I just kept globbing it on. it might help to know there is no scarring after all this. peace

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.