Handy tips after a laparotomy cyst removal

Posted , 48 users are following.

Having had a laparotomy a few weeks ago I have been asked lots of questions on this forum regarding my recovery. I thought it may help anyone who has just had the operation to remove cysts (including a laparoscopy) or facing the operation in the near future to have a few ideas to help them. Everyone's experience is different, but there does seem to be similar problems after the operation, so hope this helps ladies smile -

1. You will feel tired, bloated and in pain after the operation. I felt very nauseas for a few days and unable to eat. This is normal and is the effect of the anaesthetic used during the operation combined with strong painkillers. It will pass after a few days, try to sip water frequently to flush out the toxins.

2. The nursing staff are very helpful and concerned with your wellbeing. If you don't feel ready to go home, say so, you know your body better than anyone. I stayed in for 7 days in the end as I was in a lot of pain and had severe swelling. Don't be afraid to ask!

3 The nursing staff will remove the dressings after 3 days and if like me you have ster-strips underneath these will come off on day 5 or 6. When I removed mine the wound bled a little, but it was nothing serious and the nurse put a temporary bandage on for 2 days until it stopped. You will be shocked at the size of the wound. Mine reached from my pubic bone to above my belly button. It does start to look better after a few weeks and once healed, I will be using lots of bio oil to help it fade.

4. You will have trouble having a bowel movement. Constipation is normal following a major operation, a combination of painkillers and lack of movement. Drink plenty of fluids combined with a healthy diet (lots of fruit & vegetables). Try to move around as much as possible. Go for short walks once you feel stronger at least once a day. If like me you still haven't been after several days you could try LAXIDO and or LACTULOSE, both effective at clearing any blockage. It worked for me smile

5. Take the painkillers they give you, they will help. Try to take them at the start of the pain, not when it has you in its grip (not so effective). Only stop them when you feel you can cope without them, don't try and be brave.

6. If you have had your ovaries removed you will suddenly go into the menopause. I am having terrible night sweats now, which keep waking me up sad I bought a summer quilt 4.5 tog and am using a fan, to keep cool, it helps. I am trying to cope without HRT due to a family history of female cancer and will be trying natural herbal supplements instead. Hope they help smile

7. Lets be honest it will hurt and I am only starting to feel better after 3 weeks. I expect to be off work for at least another month, as my job is quite physical, and my muscles/wound are far from healed, but every day I feel stronger and I am off the painkillers now. I go for a short walk every day and potter around the house. My wound is healing nicely (its not pretty) but at least my alien is gone!

Good luck everyone X

11 likes, 80 replies

80 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Getting ready to go thru this surgery and want to thank you for your post!!  This is SO helpful.  I know that everyone's experience and body is different but this helped a lot!
  • Posted

I had my pre op for this surgery last Friday I've not been given a date yet but I am well and truly petrified I don't want to be in a weekend away from my kids (single mum) my parents are going to be helping out! But I really am scared! My surgeon is lovely but arghh I'm at panic stations ! Although all of this is very helpful xx
    • Posted

Had my surgery a week ago today. Will be honest the first few days were pretty painful,first day by far the worst. I was in the hospital for 2 full days.. 2nd day wasn't as bad but they got me up and moving as much as possible. Drink as much as you can that 1st day to help get the anesthesia effects out of your system as that seemed to help my foggy head. Good luck to you. You will be sore that is for sure but if you do a little more each day it seems to be manageable.
  • Posted

Thanks for the good luck smile got my date for the 20th eekkk!! I'm looking forward to it because I will be rid of pain well minus the pain from the cysts, I'm just not looking forward to being in the other pain xx thank you all for the honesty my surgeon said a week and I will be up and about ready to play tennis rolleyes I hope you recover quickly Hun xxx
    • Posted

They say I won't be coming home til Monday earliest xxx
  • Posted

how long you should wait till you start driving a car after a laparotomy cyst removal? 
    • Posted

I'm not sure to be honest xx you'd have to ask the advice from hospital xx
    • Posted

I was told I couldn't drive for 2 weeks after my surgery. But not 100% sure if that is cause of pain meds or what. Haven't taken in over a week so would think it would be okay to drive

• Posted

The dr found a dermoid cyst on both my ovaries. I'm hoping he can save them both as I really want to have children! Does anyone know about fertility after this procedure?
    • Posted

They told me as long as they don't take the ovary then you are still fertile
  • Posted

I'm due my surgery Friday but I've came on my period today?? Will they still do the op?? I can't judge when I come on I'm so irregular this is my first period in 7 weeks ?? Xx
  • Posted

I'm due a laparotomy this week to remove a large cyst along with my right ovary and tube. My friend said the best advice is to invest in some really large knickers that come above your belly button so they don't irritate the scar!
    • Posted

If I could post a pic of my be I would lol xx put it this way I won't need to wear a bra in hospital either 😂😂😂😂
  • Posted

Hi everyone, I'm now 1 week post op so thought I'd give you some advice from my experience so far!

Laxatives - you're going to need these! Apparently your bowels don't like it when they get handled during surgery as it causes them to 'go to sleep'. I didn't have a bowel movement for 3 days post op which doesn't seem like long but it was the most painful experience! I was unable to pass gas as well. Laxatives will get things moving and after gyno surgery you really don't want to be straining yourself so the looser things are, the better!

Buscopan - following on from the above, I'm also still suffering from excruciating bowel spasm but buscopan seems to be helping with this. Also try peppermint water/tea.

Big pants - great advice from a friend. I've been wearing high waisted pants above my belly button so nothing is sitting across the incision.

Nighties or big shirts - for the first few days in hospital I wore night shirts which were loose so not to irritate the wound. Button up ones are better as I found lifting my arms up the first few days was difficult.

Dry shampoo - more a cosmetic reason than anything but I have very long hair which at the moment is just too much of an effort to wash!

If I think of anything else I'll add to the list! Good luck for anyone reading! xx

• Posted

I'm not even a week post op and I'm in agony been drinking lactulose and Laxido to no avail sad I also got diagnosed with a water infection thanks to the catheter sad xx I honestly thought I would be stronger but I am a wuss!

I've dropped the co codamol as I couldn't cope with the feeling of being p*ssed and the nausea sad so I'm stupidly sore xx make sure you get help if you can't cope unfortunately everyone is busy or been a let down xx

• Posted

HI Charlotte,

im supposed to get my right ovary and tube removed also, and could you expound on what you went through? I'm 63 and tired of surgeries, and after what I read, am not looking foward to it at all. Laporoscopic... How long before you were fully recovered and having your ovary gone, has it affected you hormonally, mood, etc...what worked if the laxatives didn't? How much help will I need?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.