Handy tips after a laparotomy cyst removal

Posted , 48 users are following.

Having had a laparotomy a few weeks ago I have been asked lots of questions on this forum regarding my recovery. I thought it may help anyone who has just had the operation to remove cysts (including a laparoscopy) or facing the operation in the near future to have a few ideas to help them. Everyone's experience is different, but there does seem to be similar problems after the operation, so hope this helps ladies smile -

1. You will feel tired, bloated and in pain after the operation. I felt very nauseas for a few days and unable to eat. This is normal and is the effect of the anaesthetic used during the operation combined with strong painkillers. It will pass after a few days, try to sip water frequently to flush out the toxins.

2. The nursing staff are very helpful and concerned with your wellbeing. If you don't feel ready to go home, say so, you know your body better than anyone. I stayed in for 7 days in the end as I was in a lot of pain and had severe swelling. Don't be afraid to ask!

3 The nursing staff will remove the dressings after 3 days and if like me you have ster-strips underneath these will come off on day 5 or 6. When I removed mine the wound bled a little, but it was nothing serious and the nurse put a temporary bandage on for 2 days until it stopped. You will be shocked at the size of the wound. Mine reached from my pubic bone to above my belly button. It does start to look better after a few weeks and once healed, I will be using lots of bio oil to help it fade.

4. You will have trouble having a bowel movement. Constipation is normal following a major operation, a combination of painkillers and lack of movement. Drink plenty of fluids combined with a healthy diet (lots of fruit & vegetables). Try to move around as much as possible. Go for short walks once you feel stronger at least once a day. If like me you still haven't been after several days you could try LAXIDO and or LACTULOSE, both effective at clearing any blockage. It worked for me smile

5. Take the painkillers they give you, they will help. Try to take them at the start of the pain, not when it has you in its grip (not so effective). Only stop them when you feel you can cope without them, don't try and be brave.

6. If you have had your ovaries removed you will suddenly go into the menopause. I am having terrible night sweats now, which keep waking me up sad I bought a summer quilt 4.5 tog and am using a fan, to keep cool, it helps. I am trying to cope without HRT due to a family history of female cancer and will be trying natural herbal supplements instead. Hope they help smile

7. Lets be honest it will hurt and I am only starting to feel better after 3 weeks. I expect to be off work for at least another month, as my job is quite physical, and my muscles/wound are far from healed, but every day I feel stronger and I am off the painkillers now. I go for a short walk every day and potter around the house. My wound is healing nicely (its not pretty) but at least my alien is gone!

Good luck everyone X

11 likes, 80 replies

80 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi thank you for posting this, I'm having an 8cm complex cyst or dermoid cyst removed along with my left ovary,which I'm a little confused why the doctor who interpreted the ultrasound says I have a complex cyst and my gynecologist says it's a dermoid cyst is this the same thing? I have so many questions and I feel as though the doctor can't give me a straight answer. For example I had a tumor marker test and it was normal, however I asked the gynecologist how reliable this test is and she responded she was not able to tell me what this ovarian mass was but her opinion was that she didn't think it was cancerous that it's a dermoid and those are known to be benign that she was more concerned about this cyst causing an ovarian torsion . I go to see the surgeon who will be performing the removal and he says he will be removing it like a c-section because of the size and if it is cancerous he does not want to risk the contents of the cyst spreading... I'm so stressed and I have 3 little girls who need me . I'm so scared. I'm having this surgery in 2 weeks and so stessed how I will take care of my babiessad not to mention this cyst that could possibly be cancer ....since the surgeon is sending it to pathology right after.
    • Posted

Officially two weeks today babe smile I've had a large dermoid removed from inside my right ovary and a slightly smaller one from my left ovary xx I'm not gonna lie the first week is killer but everyone is different xx I have been doing everything bar school runs and hoovering xx you just have to do it at your pace xx and rest as often as possible xx my surgeon/consultant told me mine were complex dermoids xx basically contain rubbish like bone hair oil muscle etc xxx
    • Posted

Aw glad to hear your doing good , Thanks for the heads up. And thank you for the advice I guess my nerves are getting the best of me.
    • Posted

Hi Lourdes,

How did things end up going for you? I have been scouring the internet for information and one of my biggest concerns is my two young children and how I'll care for them post-op. How did things go for you with your girls? I have a very active 2 year old and a 7 month old who co-sleeps and breast feeds. I'm nervous about how I can meet those needs after surgery. Any tips?

Thanks in advance,

Jen

• Posted

Sorry, forgot to say that I have a 7cm dermoid in my right ovary. Will possibly remove ovary as well and procedure is meant to be done laparoscopically
    • Posted

Hi jen

Wondering how you really doing? I'm scheduled for 3/29 laparoscopically bu am worried they will have to open me up. I don't know what type of cyst mine is but wanted to see how your surgery went. I too have 7 and 3 year old and worried this will turn into a full blown hospital stay. Mine is slightly larger at 10cm. Hope you're doing well.

Jessica

• Posted

Hi Jessica,

I'm sorry but I have nothing to report. My surgery was rescheduled from March 22 to April 14 due to a respiratory infection. There's a risk of the breathing tube moving it to my lungs and causing pneumonia.

I hope that your procedure goes well and that someone can help you w your kiddos post-op.

Best wishes,

Jen

• Posted

Well since I wrote last night things took a turn. Woke up with severe lower abdominal pain and was throwing up. Now in the ER to determine if they will remove it today. Don't think I can withstand the pain til my scheduled surgery date. One of my cysts must have leaked. Will post back after to let you know what route of surgery they went with.

Fee better. Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Wow! I'm so sorry you've been going through all of that. I hope that the doctors there will quickly ease your discomfort. I'm sending lots of positive energy to you. Please let me know how things go for you as time and energy allow.

You can do this!

Jen

• Posted

Hi Jessica,

Just wanted to check in and see how you're doing. Sending well-wishes

Jen

• Posted

Hi Jenn.

I wound up getting it removed later that night after going to the ER. Removed it laproscopically, one incision in belly button and two on either side, just above hips. Mine was a 10cm ovary with at least one 7cm cyst. There were other cysts too so they took the whole ovary. The incision where they actually removed it hurt the most. The other two incisions healed fairly quickly. The bloating days after the surgery was pretty bad and it took me 4 days before I moved my bowels. Took about two weeks before I felt close to my normal self, walking at a normal pace and able to sleep on my stomach again . Did you get yours done last week? Hope your on the mend and feeling better.

• Posted

Omg I'm so glad I found this forum. I am 4 days post OP after removal of a bowling ball size ovarian cyst. Thank God it was not cancer but because of size and looks my surgeon converted my laproscopic removal to open. I was not expecting to wake up in so much pain and have to stay in the hospital for 3 days. I know things will get better but right now my pain is hard to handle. I think I went home a bit to soon as I had only passed gas once on day 3 and little to no bowel sounds. They are still asleep I think. I will be trying some of the ideas I have seen that worked for others.
  • Posted

Hi Jenny, 

Thanks a lot for the tips. I am due for a laparatomy in a weeks time to remove cysts from both ovaries. I am wondering if you or anyone here had a discussion with the dr on worst case scenarios of the possibility of losing both ovaries and the option to freeze eggs should it happen. I am not married yet but would like to have children someday so I thought i should at least be prepared to face the worst case consequences. I haven't asked my dr about it yet so would like to know if anyone else here has had the option to freeze your eggs. thanks. 

• Posted

Hello Jenny, did I hope everything went well for you. Please can anyone help? I had a 10cm dermoid cyst removed by laparotomy 2 days ago. They were able to preserve my ovary. On the discharge summary it says 'other and unspecified ovarian cysts' but on the discharge summary they gave me last week when they discharged me without surgery it said 'ovarian dermoid cyst'. What does the first one mean? I'm worried it may be cancerous. Will get biopsy result in 2 weeks.  They were going to remove the supportive dressing but told me it will fall off in 3-4 days because I asked if they can leave it as I was worried I wouldn't have enough support. Underneath there is a waterproof dressing. I'm worried about taking it off x
  • Posted

this forum has been so helpful.

I'm 19 and getting my procedure in a few weeks.

one of my questions I haven't seen answered is;

are you able to get up to use the restroom the day of surgery and a few days later?

really are you able to get up at all? I just feel like with a big incision like such, moving up and down can not be comfortable at all.

I feel like really all you can do is just lay in bed.

I'm upset about the scarring, I recently lost 30 pounds and started to show off my midriff more sad

I just feel so young to have such a major operation but it will be worth it once the pain is gone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.