Handy tips after a laparotomy cyst removal

Posted , 48 users are following.

Having had a laparotomy a few weeks ago I have been asked lots of questions on this forum regarding my recovery. I thought it may help anyone who has just had the operation to remove cysts (including a laparoscopy) or facing the operation in the near future to have a few ideas to help them. Everyone's experience is different, but there does seem to be similar problems after the operation, so hope this helps ladies smile -

1. You will feel tired, bloated and in pain after the operation. I felt very nauseas for a few days and unable to eat. This is normal and is the effect of the anaesthetic used during the operation combined with strong painkillers. It will pass after a few days, try to sip water frequently to flush out the toxins.

2. The nursing staff are very helpful and concerned with your wellbeing. If you don't feel ready to go home, say so, you know your body better than anyone. I stayed in for 7 days in the end as I was in a lot of pain and had severe swelling. Don't be afraid to ask!

3 The nursing staff will remove the dressings after 3 days and if like me you have ster-strips underneath these will come off on day 5 or 6. When I removed mine the wound bled a little, but it was nothing serious and the nurse put a temporary bandage on for 2 days until it stopped. You will be shocked at the size of the wound. Mine reached from my pubic bone to above my belly button. It does start to look better after a few weeks and once healed, I will be using lots of bio oil to help it fade.

4. You will have trouble having a bowel movement. Constipation is normal following a major operation, a combination of painkillers and lack of movement. Drink plenty of fluids combined with a healthy diet (lots of fruit & vegetables). Try to move around as much as possible. Go for short walks once you feel stronger at least once a day. If like me you still haven't been after several days you could try LAXIDO and or LACTULOSE, both effective at clearing any blockage. It worked for me smile

5. Take the painkillers they give you, they will help. Try to take them at the start of the pain, not when it has you in its grip (not so effective). Only stop them when you feel you can cope without them, don't try and be brave.

6. If you have had your ovaries removed you will suddenly go into the menopause. I am having terrible night sweats now, which keep waking me up sad I bought a summer quilt 4.5 tog and am using a fan, to keep cool, it helps. I am trying to cope without HRT due to a family history of female cancer and will be trying natural herbal supplements instead. Hope they help smile

7. Lets be honest it will hurt and I am only starting to feel better after 3 weeks. I expect to be off work for at least another month, as my job is quite physical, and my muscles/wound are far from healed, but every day I feel stronger and I am off the painkillers now. I go for a short walk every day and potter around the house. My wound is healing nicely (its not pretty) but at least my alien is gone!

Good luck everyone X

11 likes, 80 replies

80 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had surgery on Monday (it's now 4 days later). I usually have a bowel movement twice a day (have a largely raw vegan diet) and was constipated for 2-3 days before and after surgery as wasn't having my usual diet. I took senna the day post op cos I was afraid of straining. I eat a lot of raw brocolli and carrots etc. That really works, No straining and feels comfortable to go to the loo. I was walking around a few hours after surgery. There's pain. I'm used to being very active, running around etc. Have to remind myself that I will need to give myself a few weeks to heal my body but I believe if you eat the right things the body can heal faster. Gentle walking, no lifting etc, although cos I live alone have to do some things which I know I probably shouldn't. Regarding scarring, there are many creams which you can eventually use to fade scars. There's also cocoa butter and bio oil which maybe help. Scars are ok. You are beautiful the way you are. Scars show that you have been through pain and trauma and have lived so it's all good xx
  • Posted

Just thought i'd add to this thread after finally going through laparatomy last week. I was admitted for 6 days as i was having diarrhoea. By the grace of God, the surgery went well and the cysts are now out of my system. One of it was pretty big at 7cm. I am now back home, eating as normal but stomach and lower abdomen is still quite swelled up. I wonder though what else i should not be doing besides not carrying heavy stuff and driving. How do you sleep? Is it okay to sleep sideways? Is it normal to have some sharp pain on and off at the surgical area? These are just some questions thats been playing on my mind and hope anyone here who shares similar experience can share your thoughts. Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

Hope your symptoms are better by now!

I had surgery about 2 months ago to remove two dermoids about 10cm each. My surgery had complications and I ended up going into septic shock about 5 days after and had to have a second surgery to remove a blood clot that had formed from a blood vessel not being closed properly and blood leaking into my abdomen. I still am getting swelling and sharp pain. I returned to work 2 weeks ago and think that may have been too soon!

• Posted

Hi Bryana,

Im sorry to hear about your situation. I returned to work after a months rest, 6 weeks to be exact but the first few days was tough indeed as i felt tired easily. Are you in any pain now? Its also important to ask the dr if everything is clear inside. Try not to exert urself too much as well nd always discuss with ur dr especially having had complications. I had a dermoid on one side and endometriosis on the other and am currently on medication to delay recurrence.

Take care.

• Posted

Oh that's not good having both ??

My job is quite full on and with my gyno 's approval I returned to work 5 weeks after the second surgery which I think was way too soon. I work on my feet all day and I think it was just too much too soon and has delayed the recovery. It has been getting better slowly, but the last couple days the swelling has been way worse than the last few weeks. I did ask to get a follow up ultrasound done just for reassurance more than anything but was told it wasn't necessary. I hope it eases up soon or I will have to go back to the dr. Thanks 😊

• Posted

Hi! I'm one week post op now. Had a 15cmx15cm cyst removed that had twisted 3 times...I am also 20 weeks pregnant at the moment. Surgery went well and surgeon was able to save my ovary and tubes. Also avoided harming baby ?? I was discharged on day 3. I am still in quite a bit of pain and still feel very tired.

I advise taking lactulose as soon as possible after surgery...due to my pregnancy I was already on it a week prior to (unexpected) surgery. It was day 6 after surgery before I eventually went and I was terrified but it was actually pain free.

I still get the odd sharp pains around the scar but I think this is all part of the healing process.

I was wondering if anyone knew how long after surgery it is before you can have a bath? Not just a shower.

• Posted

Dear Jayne

Glad to know your surgery went well and must have been a stressful experience for you being pregnant at the same time! I am 3 weeks post laparatomy to remove cysts found on both my ovaries and was only allowed to take a shower after my bandage and stitches were out last Friday. I would think that the dr who treated you would advise when it is fine to take a bath as depends on the kind of stitches and bandage you have i guess. I was told that even if it is waterproof it doesn't guarantee that water won't absorb through so its best to sponge yourself for now smile all the best!

• Posted

Hi!

This is my first post. I had a laparotomy 10 days ago and really felt like I should share my experience!

I had a 24 x 17 x 8cm solid cysts in my stomach which was bleeding into a 7cm dermoid cyst in my right ovary. . I'm also 7 weeks pregnant!!

After they tried numerous catheters to drain the litre of stomach fluid they were adamant was in my bladder 😒 An MRI scan showed this massive cyst and off I went for laparotomy. The op went really well - both ovaries still there and baby fine!

I struggled to move for the pain for a few days and couldn't take much pain relief due to the pregnancy. I was quite nauseous and when they took out my catheter after three days I had an awful UTI (probably from all the catheters they had tried!) I went home on day 6 and have been having terrible night sweats. My worst experience though was fecal impaction from a few days constipation that kept me up all night on day 9 and nearly had me back in A&E for an enema.

Laparotomy is not pretty - but hopefully on the mend now.

• Posted

Thank you for this! I'm 14 and getting a cyst on my left ovary and quite possibly an ovary. I'm super nervous about it! I was going to get a laparoscopy at first, but the surgeon decided a laparotomy would be more benefitual. I'm going to be out of school for five days, but after that I;m going back with an excuse for gym. Do you have any tips for getting through the day in between classes? 

• Posted

Laparotomy is better long term as they take the cyst out so it can't fill back up! Don't be nervous it's never nice having surgery but you will be fine!! I had mine done two weeks ago and I can only just walk - about 100m then the pain is too bad and I have to stop (before op I was quite a serious runner so pretty fit!). I couldn't move at all for 3 days apart from to move up and down my hospital bed. You will also be really tired - I've just got up to looking after my son for two hours then having an hours nap then repeating like that all day. I was told 6-12 weeks recovery time and the hospital gave me 4 weeks inial sick note when I was discharged. Are you sure you can only have 5 days???

• Posted

5 days off will not be enough dear and do inform your teacher or principal about your situation. I am sure your teacher will understand and maybe you can write a letter and tell that it is a personal issue that you will not wish for anyone to know if are afraid about the news spreading around. you will need time to heal. take care.
  • Posted

hey i had two dermoid cyst removed feom

both ovaries five months ago, i am still gettin pains in my lower abdomen/groin are which the doctor put down to muscular pain. its now been a while since that and the pain is more constant, i have tried light exercise but that also hasnt helped, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and could perhaps give me a heads up to what it could be. i am extremely worries as i have no children yet and want nothing more than to have them. thanks for reading xx

• Posted

hi there

I had my left ovary removed on Monday 12/12 due to a large cyst plus I was diagnosed with endometriosis during surgery.

I have been in bed since monday and light walking around the house. I finally went out today Saturday 12/18 to the store and walked longer. I noticed pain, is that normal? or I pushed it?

any suggestions will help

thank you!

• Posted

Good evening .

I had a right dermoid ovarian cyst and ovary with tube removal last Friday ...7 days ago (ex lap).

I also had a myomectomy during which several fibroids were removed . I did not expecr the post surgical pain .

Needless to say, i thank goodness for the painkillers. I spent three days in the hospital (no complications so far ...fingers crossed).

I do still have pain from both the incisions and the surgery itself. I am concerned about how long the recovery time is...and about becoming intimate again (new relationship).

It is a difficult task taking it easy ( I live alone ) and have to do lifting, cleaning etc .

For the most part all has been going okay. I just hope that my recovery time isn't too long smile

• Posted

How much you paid for the surgery? And do you know how much it will be a laparoscopy if i didn't paid taxes yet and i don't have health insurance? I just came in UK and found that i have an ovarian cyst (7,5 cm) and need surgery. I'm not allowed to make effort so i couldn't find a job to pay taxes sad . And do you know for how many months i have to pay my insurance, to cover the surgery or half of it??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.