Happy Re-birthday Hip Replacement

Posted , 13 users are following.

This site is a great resource for those of us who have had hip replacements, as it allows us to share both advice and our experiences, good and bad. Inevitably, it will tend to feature more of the latter than the former, as people are far more likely to discuss problems than post when things have gone well. The potential problem with this is that this site is also accessed by those contemplating having a THR, so the risk is that they form rather a negative impression of the procedure. I therefore wanted to write a post about my experiences to possibly redress the balance.

By May 2019 my life had become a misery. I first noticed a problem with my hip about 5 years previously, with a slight clicking sensation and increasingly restricted movement. An X-ray revealed wear on the joint, but as I was only 52 at the time, the Doctor suggested taking no action until things got worse. Unfortunately, over time the problem progressed in to pain when doing sport, then pain when walking, to eventually constant pain which was affecting my work and sleep. Over this period I had to give up golf, then skiing, then walking any distance. I eventually even got to the point where cycling, a non-weight bearing activity, became agony.

At 57 I was just not prepared to give up on an active life so I decided to go for a Total Hip Replacement. I spent quite a bit of time discussing the options with the surgeon, eventually opting for a plastic cup, with slightly wider dimensions than normal for more stability when doing sport. I also opted for sedation with an epidural rather than a general anaesthetic. Come the big day I checked in to the hospital, changed in to a very unflattering gown, and walked in to the pre-op room where they gave me a jab. Next thing I remember was coming around in recovery, looking at some other patients who had taken the general route, and given how ashen they were, thinking how pleased I was for opting for sedation!

I was wheeled back to my room where I could call my wife to say I was out of the op. The epidural meant I could not feel the lower part of my body, but other than that I felt fine. Over the next 6 hours the epidural wore off, and there was some discomfort from the surgery, but given it had involved some heavy duty carpentry to my femur, this was not a great surprise. That said, other than one dose of morphine when the epidural had totally worn off, the only other pain relief I had during the whole exercise was paracetamol. Indeed the most noticeable thing from the pain perspective was that the constant ache I had suffered in my hip for the previous year was magically disappeared!

As to progress, the day after the op I was up and about, first with a walker but then with crutches. Next day I was getting up and down stairs on the crutches, with the physios starting me off on an regime of 6 exercises in reps. Next day I was home but carrying on the physio regime, probably doing more reps than suggested, but stopping the moment it became uncomfortable. The one thing I avoided was any form of stretching or bending that put excessive strain on the new joint. Within 4 weeks I was back driving an automatic, and back on a bike within 6. I am now back to cycling 30 – 40 miles in a session and am playing golf again. The high point however was in March when I had the best week of skiing that I have enjoyed in years.

I do not want to sound glib or dismissive of people’s concerns, as there are risks with any op and there can never be any guarantees, but THRs have a very high success rate. A 2019 review by Bristol University of research from over 25 years, which included more than 500,000 patients, showed of all hip replacements analysed, 89% were found to last 15 years; 70% lasted 20 years; and 58% lasted 25 years. The technologies and techniques have got better in that time, so the projected lifespans of the joints is now even longer.

In truth, having the THR has given me back my life, hence the title of my post. My only regret was waiting 5 years to bite the bullet and get it done!

Cheers,

Bob

3 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Bob

very good post I dont even bother any more saying about how well things went for me or my running as there was just too much negativity . You should look at the NJR 2019 report also it gives so many facts about variations and combinations of THR prostetics and the outcomes and revisions since 2003 .People just read google and think its verbatim.

• Edited

Thank you for your positive report. I had my first THR aged 54, and my second last October, aged 68. The most noticeable thing is that when you wake up, you realise that awful, continuous, dull ache has gone. Amazing! My 15 year old hip is doing well, and I swim and cycle nearly every day, so it will be interesting to see how it is when I'm 90! If I do need another THR in the future, I won't be frightened as I know exactly what to expect now. My main concern would be to make sure no-one gives me Tramadol, as I had terrible side effects to that on both occasions. Paracetamol is really all I needed, and only for a few days. I hope those reading this who are waiting for a THR will be reassured. It will change you life for the better.

• Edited

I know exactly what you mean about the loss of the ache. You do become a little desensitised to it over time, but it is still a blessed relief to find it gone.

I will probably need to get the other leg done at some point as it is also at the 'clicky' stage. Having the op has no fears now, especially when the new hip on the left leg is better than the old one on the right.

My only disappointment so far was that the new joint does not set off the scanner at airports so I do not get to tell the border staff what a brave little soldier I've been having the op!!!

• Edited

I also had a good experience with thr . My discomfort started about 5 years previous to my surgery as well. The pain gradually progressed to the point where I could not find any relief save for a short span of time after taking Naproxin. Even then the pain did not go away completely. For a year I had cortizone injections directly into the joint every 3 months. Eventually this did not help. After several xrays over a couple of years I was finally requisitioned for hip replacement surgery. The criteria for that is there has to be bone on bone. So no matter how much pain I was in the xray had to show that. (This is in Canada).

This surgery took away that horrible pain and I'm so glad I had it! I am 63 had the surgery last May at 62yrs. My problem is osteo arthritis. I am now active, back to work, and loving life again.

• Edited

Sounds like we went through a similar evolution. Getting to bone on bone was certainly no fun, especially while skiing as it meant I could only turn right without pain. Descending the mountain in ever increasing circles proved oddly impractical so I had to give it up. I honestly though I was waving goodbye to skiing on the last trip before the Op, but after the success of this year I cannot wait to get back (the opportunities for skiing in Canada are probably a bit better than the South cost of UK!)

• Edited

So beneficial to hear of positive results. I am working on rescheduling my THR due to cancellation in April. I have been thinking of this for about 5 or 6 years and am very much done with researching, etc. I am ready to do it! Thank you for sharing your experience!

• Posted

I'm sure you will be thrilled with the outcome.

The worst bit for me of the whole affair was not understanding what one dose of morphine can do to the digestive system. Without wishing to be too graphic I had not realised that I would need the services of Dyno Rod simply for taking some pain meds, and that was even after taking the stuff prescribed to avoid the 'road blocks'.

Anyway, best of luck when the big day comes around and keep doing the exercises.

• Edited

Yes I've heard about the cautions regarding the pain pills and what they do to your digestive system, just need more pills to counteract the effects of the other ones! Also, it is so so great to hear the replies to your posting of people who had wonderful results. Thanks for the uplift!

• Edited

It is great to see some more positive stories . When I went for my referral through BUPA my surgeon was great he asked me what level of exercise I wanted to go back to after the op and I advised running again . He didn't bat an eyelid and said no problem just make sure all muscles back to fitness before pushing too hard. I've run 1150 km since Aug last year with a few half marathons under my belt too . I know my limitations and keep to running 3 days a week as arthritis really causes me.problems if I dont get a bit of rest rest in between. My big toe is a bugger at the minute with it lol.

• Edited

Thanks for the feedback. I think the point you make about getting back to fitness is critical. The surgeon can only do half the work, the rest is up to the patient doing enough but not doing too much. Racking up a few half marathons is pretty impressive though.

On the arthritis front, I have had gout for 30 years, usually in the big toe. I would love to say it was too much good living, wine, women and song but no such luck, just fate. Having the THR pales into insignificance compared to the all consuming horror of a gout attack, where a fly simply landing on the affected joint can make you hit the ceiling. Then again I might just be a wuss!

• Edited

Congratulations Bob, to add more positivity, my total hip replacement lasted for just over twenty years of heavy building and hill farming. Basically within weeks I returned to work and did not ease up and look back. The reason for my revision after twenty years was that due to my level of activity I had worn through the poly cup. I'm now 78 old have had a revision of a total ankle replacement two years ago and have just returned from a very nice fast five mile dog walk! Cheers, Richard

• Edited

Hi Richard, As you say, getting 20 years of heavy duty use it of the joint is a pretty good return. while the basic design of the stem has not changed the materials have, especially some of the plastic sockets so longevity will only get even better. Keep up the dog walking.

• Edited

I probably have you all beat...I had no years of pain before making the decision to have THR...it was made for me. I thought the pain I had for 3 weeks was bursitis...but it got worse so finally went to ER. Shocked to find I had been walking around on a fractured hip...with no cause, except osteoporosis. Surgery was a piece of cake, and since surgeon opted to cement my "ball recepticle" I had no movement restrictions after surgery.

To finish my story I walked in for my 2week checkup....walking perfectly, with no pain. Surgeon said best revovery he'd ever seen....plus he'd never had a patient walk around on a fracture...(so I guess I was one for the record books.) This all happened only 4 months ago.

• Edited

Joy lol

I can beat that off crutches day 2 ,walking stick day 10 ,riding bike day 12 ,5k run week 4 and 10k run week 7 and the rest history .. lets have more good news stories

• Edited

It would be hyperbole to say these ops are miracles but they come pretty close. The mechanics involved are fairly gruesome and logic would suggest a patient would be laid up for weeks. Despite this most people seem to be up on their pins and bearing weight by the next day, with a high degree of mobility within a week. Add the loss off the previous pain and the whole thing becomes pretty impressive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.