Happy Re-birthday Hip Replacement

Posted , 13 users are following.

This site is a great resource for those of us who have had hip replacements, as it allows us to share both advice and our experiences, good and bad. Inevitably, it will tend to feature more of the latter than the former, as people are far more likely to discuss problems than post when things have gone well. The potential problem with this is that this site is also accessed by those contemplating having a THR, so the risk is that they form rather a negative impression of the procedure. I therefore wanted to write a post about my experiences to possibly redress the balance.

By May 2019 my life had become a misery. I first noticed a problem with my hip about 5 years previously, with a slight clicking sensation and increasingly restricted movement. An X-ray revealed wear on the joint, but as I was only 52 at the time, the Doctor suggested taking no action until things got worse. Unfortunately, over time the problem progressed in to pain when doing sport, then pain when walking, to eventually constant pain which was affecting my work and sleep. Over this period I had to give up golf, then skiing, then walking any distance. I eventually even got to the point where cycling, a non-weight bearing activity, became agony.

At 57 I was just not prepared to give up on an active life so I decided to go for a Total Hip Replacement. I spent quite a bit of time discussing the options with the surgeon, eventually opting for a plastic cup, with slightly wider dimensions than normal for more stability when doing sport. I also opted for sedation with an epidural rather than a general anaesthetic. Come the big day I checked in to the hospital, changed in to a very unflattering gown, and walked in to the pre-op room where they gave me a jab. Next thing I remember was coming around in recovery, looking at some other patients who had taken the general route, and given how ashen they were, thinking how pleased I was for opting for sedation!

I was wheeled back to my room where I could call my wife to say I was out of the op. The epidural meant I could not feel the lower part of my body, but other than that I felt fine. Over the next 6 hours the epidural wore off, and there was some discomfort from the surgery, but given it had involved some heavy duty carpentry to my femur, this was not a great surprise. That said, other than one dose of morphine when the epidural had totally worn off, the only other pain relief I had during the whole exercise was paracetamol. Indeed the most noticeable thing from the pain perspective was that the constant ache I had suffered in my hip for the previous year was magically disappeared!

As to progress, the day after the op I was up and about, first with a walker but then with crutches. Next day I was getting up and down stairs on the crutches, with the physios starting me off on an regime of 6 exercises in reps. Next day I was home but carrying on the physio regime, probably doing more reps than suggested, but stopping the moment it became uncomfortable. The one thing I avoided was any form of stretching or bending that put excessive strain on the new joint. Within 4 weeks I was back driving an automatic, and back on a bike within 6. I am now back to cycling 30 – 40 miles in a session and am playing golf again. The high point however was in March when I had the best week of skiing that I have enjoyed in years.

I do not want to sound glib or dismissive of people’s concerns, as there are risks with any op and there can never be any guarantees, but THRs have a very high success rate. A 2019 review by Bristol University of research from over 25 years, which included more than 500,000 patients, showed of all hip replacements analysed, 89% were found to last 15 years; 70% lasted 20 years; and 58% lasted 25 years. The technologies and techniques have got better in that time, so the projected lifespans of the joints is now even longer.

In truth, having the THR has given me back my life, hence the title of my post. My only regret was waiting 5 years to bite the bullet and get it done!

Cheers,

Bob

3 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hi Bob,

It's good to hear your positive news, because you're right, reading about lots of problems could put people off having a hip replacement.

I was lucky, the whole experience was massively better than I was expecting. I remember shuffling along to the bathroom about 5 hours post op, and the wonderful realisation that the horrible bone on bone pain had gone.

Great that you were enjoying yourself back on your skis. I think I told you that we missed out this year because the ski resorts were suddenly closed the week before we were due to go. Really annoyed that I didn't book to go earlier in the season! But back in the Autumn, who knew that a nasty pandemic was on the way and life was about to change....

Take care everyone, Judith

• Posted

Hi Judith, we got lucky. We were in France but flew in and out of Italy so got back on the weekend before they locked down. Skiing has been a passion for 30 years so the thought of giving it up was dreadful. However after the last trip I feel I have another 30 ahead of me 😃 I'm sure you'll be back on the snow next year, until then, keep bending zee knees!

• Posted

Hi Bob,

I'm really pleased that you just managed your trip! And yes, I 'm definitely planning to be back skiing again next year! (fingers crossed..)

• Edited

Thanks for this, Bob. I was supposed to be getting my THR next week but its been cancelled due to COIVD (I live near to you in the UK). I was born with DDH and was devastated to find out I needed my first hip replaced in my 30s. All I seem to read about is failures, pain and complications, so your post means a lot as Im slowly inching towards my first surgery. Im still on the list and I will have to face it eventually, so this post means a lot...

• Edited

Hi, I've met a few people since the op who've had it done and the reaction is universally positive. My only advice for what it's worth is to do the prescribed exercises as a minimum, and if it feels ok, do a little more. The day of the op is of course a little weird, but once you've got through that you will be so pleased you took the plunge.

• Edited

Hi! That is a great success story. I shared the same fear sentiment when I was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at the age of 25. Yes what a scary thought to have to undergo that sort of surgery at such a young age, knowing that eventually you would have to get it done again and possibly again. This was back in 1995. That hip lasted me 21 years, but I have to admit I pampered it like a new born baby. I did do exercise, walking...never running and aerobics. I traveled, wore high heels, I had never felt better! All was well until it began to give me pain that wouldn't go away. I am now on my 2nd revision since then, one in 2016 and one a few months ago to correct a bone loss issue that occurs when you've had that metal in you for as long as I have. The first hip is always the best so enjoy...my motto is use it but don't abuse it and it will take care of you for years to come!

• Edited

sorry to jump on Bob's thread but id love to speak to you! Im so worried about revisions down the line and the concern they wont be so good!

• Edited

Well to put your mind at ease I had to have a hip revision after twenty years due to my level of activity and two years on it is perfect so as it was only the cup and ball not the stem I'm hoping for many years more of trouble free use but don't run on it as a regular thing as my surgeon strongly advised against it.

Cheers, Richard

• Edited

Hi Thea, revisions do seem to be more problematic as there appear to be more variables that impact the outcomes. I hope your most recent one proves more successful than the previous one.

• Posted

Sure, although not all experiences are the same...I'm more than happy to share mine with you. I've learned alot on this journey thus far. The good, the bad...the ugly!

Ask away!

• Edited

Hi Dorset-Bob,

There are positive hip op's on here. I had my second anniversary 11th April, since my op I have had no pain not even a post op ache. Over the years since my slip in 2009 my leg had lost at least 2 inches maybe more in length therefore, I did look a sad sight when walking but was too scared to have an operation, I still did aerobics, Pilates and walked as I am a firm believer in exercise is more beneficial for pain than medication, I just took paracetamol occasionally. It is nice to have level legs again and walk without a stick, just missing the gym at the moment.

I hope you continue to enjoy your new found, pain free life and hopefully, your hip will last a long, long time.

• Edited

Hi Jen, You've reminded of one thing i meant to mention which is the limb. The pain I experienced in the few years running up to the op meant I had developed a pronounced limp as i favoured my good leg. When i stopped using the crutches after the op my wife noticed i was still limping even though I had no pain. My legs were the same length so i soon realised it was simply that i had previously got so used to the limp that it was now how i walked normally. It did take me a couple more weeks of reminding myself to walk straight before i got rid of the limp.

• Edited

Thank you for your positive post. Personally, I can't wait to have my operation !

• Posted

Have you any idea when we will be able to have ops, everything seems to have closed for the duration?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.