hard lump after incision and drainage... help!

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi everyone, 

I had an abcess that was treated with an drainage operation and word catheter. Unfortunately it was unsuccessful and the abcess grew bigger so they sliced me on the outside, did the drainage and used a packing gauze that was taken out the next day. Its been a week since and the pain is gone. All that's left is a lump that I feel under my skin and when I walk and sit. Has anyone experienced this? Is it just a part of the healing? How long before it goes down? Any help would be great.

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

I had a boil/cyst lanced in the ER around 2 years ago. I still have a small lump where it was. No drainage or anything like that. Sometimes hurts to the touch but as long as I leave it alobe it is never a problem. It is right on my butt. Worry it might come back one day with the same pain as original but has not yet. I'm guessing scar tissue.

• Posted

old post but for anyone experiencing a lump 1-3 weeks after there surgery i may have the answer. I am currently healing from surgery 3 weeks ago and i went back to emergency last week as i felt an abscess coming back - i was sure this was bad news as it look like it was a cyst like lump!

Fortunately, the surgeon advised it was was just a granulation which is apart of the healing process. i would still get an opinion if you have one but try not to stress yourself out.

im praying mine heals up fully in the next week 😃

• Posted

Hello same thing here had an abscess drained and packed, the packing came out a day later like 4 inches of ribbon. But still feels like there is something inside?? Scar tissue or more packing? I cant get in to see my doctor for another 2 days.

• Posted

Hi I know this is an old post but I'm having the same issue right now. I had a bartholin cyst drained 7 days ago and I'm still feeling slight discomfort in the area and swelling, however it's not as painful as when I had the abscess. The abscess was very encapsulated so they had to use a lot if pressure with the scalpel in order to break through.

The Doctor who drained it said I could have discomfort for several weeks so I assume that it is all part of the healing process. Although if it gets more painful I will see the GP again.

• Posted

Old post again but looking for help also - had marsupialisation 3 weeks ago and still have a large, hard lump that does not seem to be going down! I went back to the hospital last week and was told it was swelling and a part of healing, but the swelling has not gone down at all.. i am taking antibiotics and ibuprofen, doing both hot compresses for drainage and ice for swelling.... has anyone experienced this? Would appreciate any advice on how to reduce swelling!!!

• Posted

i just had surgery to get my abscess removed i got it cut out of my groin..it got packed and banadged the first time the nurse changed it..it was deep the second day it got packed again the third day i went back to the doctors the incision had healed up they said theres nothing to pack and i have a hard lump so i got an ultrasound there saying ive healed to quick and i have 1-2ml of fluid underneath where it healed over has anyone else had this problem and if so what will they do now as im really scared im gonna have to be cut open again...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.