Hard swelling under incision after submandibular gland removal

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi everyone,

4 days ago I had my right submandibular gland removed due to an infection in it and subsequent swelling that would not go down. After the surgery, I was in extreme pain for about 36 hours, somewhat at the incision site but mainly in my throat, which I think was due to the breathing tube insertion/removal. I had no swelling when I left the hospital (same day) but when I woke up the next morning (after barely sleeping due to pain and anxiety) I had soft swelling all around the incision. Now, 4 days later I have less pain (still some in my throat), a bit of numbness around the incision and hard swelling around the incision. I am seeing my surgeon within the next week for a follow up but wondered has anyone else experienced this after this or similar surgery? I am on antibiotics and have no signs of infection and I did not have a drain put in post surgery to deal with any potential fluid.

0 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi all, 10 days ago had my left submandibular gland removed. Surgery went well, I woke up with all related nerves in action hmd. I left hospital 2 days after with antibiotics and pain killers. I was getting better day after day. Incision healing well (all hard arround the area). On day 8, I had sharp pain along my jaw and on my left cheek, pain in place till date with no swelling. I cannot even touch the area with my hand. Is this normal?
    • Posted

Hi Marouane,

I want to say it is normal to have pain start up again a few days/weeks after this surgery, I certainly did. My doctor said it's the nerves coming back to life. In fact, 3.5 months post surgery, I still have pain around my incision. It's not extreme, just dull. And from time to time I'll get a shooting pain. My doctor says this is normal. I also still have numbness around the area.

However, if the pain is unbearable I'd ring the doctor and ask. Is there redness, heat and/or do you have a fever? These were questions my doctor asked me every time I called them with a question/concern to make sure the incision site was not infected. How are you feeling otherwise?

• Posted

Hi and thanks for your reply. My doctor came and checked my incision yesterday. He said pain in the jaw was from the Masseter Muscle that had restricted movement after surgery for 7 days. He prescribed anti-inflamatories and pain killers. We will se how it will progress.

Incision is hard and swelling is still in place. I was asked to apply a cream at night and sun protection if I am out.

• Posted

I want to thank everyone for sharing you experiences with this op. I had my op 8 days ago and I am experiencing some of the same issues. Swelling, a hard lump at the incision site, and the most vivid and awesome bruising I have ever had. Still purple 8 days on.still need to sleep sitting up, as lying down I wake up with more pain and swelling. I also have issues with the range of motion in turning my head only about 110° by the end of the day.

I was very lucky to have only a numb ear for about 2 days.

Thankyou all for the reassurance you have given me, by posting you experiences.

• Posted

Hi Netdun, I had my gland removed 2 weeks ago. I am still suffering from swelling along the incision and limitation when trying to look up. And of course pain under my jaw. I am tsking some anti-inflamatories and paon killers. Almost no numbness except arround the incision area. You will be able to turn your head on the sides by the end of the second week.
    • Posted

Thankyou Marouane. I also have the limited verticle movement. Need to use a straw or drink bottle, as i find it difficult to drink from a cup or glass. I need a another week off work as the limited head movement is a safety hazard. Im hoping that by then my technicolour bruising will be almost gone. smile I found it difficult to eat for a couple of days, just getting my mouth open wide enough to put anything in, when that was not the issue anymore, it was the bruising making it self felt under the tounge. It was possible, but tender and took more time than usual. I have tenderness under the tongue when I yawn, which I am doing a lot of. At least now I dont need to hold the swelling when traveling in the car. The road vibrations caused it to ache. I do notice improvements day by day. Also noticed how sensitve the skin is around the swelling and bruising, cannot stand any clothing near it. Guess its the nerves 'coming back to life'. I look forward to full head movement again and getting back to work. Like the say, you miss it when its gone.

• Posted

Hi Netdum, all this sounds exactly like my 10 days status. But had also some pain on my face as I suppose the Masseter muscle was hurt from mouth opening limitation during the first week. I was able to drive 2 days ago and able to leave home alone. Pain is still in place with verticale head movement limitation (not needed for driving 😉. I get tired very quickly when I leave home and am not complaining about that. The area is still very sensitive and cannot stand any clothing to touch too. I am putting sun crean protection everytime I leave home. Wish a quick recovery for all of us and update me on any new issue. I am a week ahead so I might have the answer 😊.

• Posted

Hello Everyone!  Well I am so happy for this forum I have been following along as I had my surgery 6 weeks ago.  Left Submandibular Gland was removed and still healing of course.  I still have swelling and numbness at the incision site.  My surgery was a crazy one.  I had been getting constant infections because I had a 3 stones in the gland and 1 was 9mm in size so when he went to do the surgery it took over 2 hours because of major scar tissue.  I ended up with 2 seromas under the incision after the surgery that had to be drained so that delayed my healing process of course.  The hard lump under the incision that everyone is talking about does go away takes time I still have some left but every day gets better.  I was using cold gel packs to help with swelling and taking Tylenol.  Now I have a middle ear infection in the left ear don't think it is related but felt the pressure it needed to pop and same day swelling felt less in neck it was strange.  So ya more flippin antibiotics.  Regarding your comments with the head movement they told me in the hospital to move my head right away slow movements to help prevent major scar tissue so maybe that is why I really didn't have issues in that area.  I did have lose feeling to my teeth and sense of taste for 5 weeks that was not fun.  The bruising under the tongue was extremely painfully and didn't get better until closer to 6 weeks.  I rinsed my mouth a lot with warm salt water and even just when drinking water swish it around in my mouth that helps. The pangs of pain can be unbearable at times it is like random jolts still getting them in the jaw but I know that is nerves and muscles healing. 

I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel at least and this is a long process but definitely will be better.  lol

• Posted

Hello mates, 3 weeks after surgery update:

- Sensitivity and mild pain arround incision area

- Head movement improving but still some limitation

- Swollen lump under incision but getting better

Question for veterans: When can a person go for a run?

Thanks and hope a quick recovery to all

• Posted

Glad I found this site. I had my submandibular gland removed on July 11th. I’m having similar issues as you ladies are. Glad to hear it’s normal. I started out with lots of swelling and fluid under the skin. My surgeon sent me home the day after surgery even though I didn’t feel comfortable going home. My gland was removed because it kept plugging off. My upper gland the partoid gland on the same side does the same thing. Every time I have surgery I get dehydrated and it causes my parotid gland to swell the day after surgery. I’ve been dealing with my parotid gland swollen added extra pain for a week. I landed back in emerg for three days two days after surgery. I was dehydrated, and unable to keep anything down for days.  My swelling is now gone down quite a bit but I seem to have more pain now than I did a week ago.  I also have a hard lump under the incision that hurts quite a bit with sharp pains once in awhile. I am thinking maybe it hurts more now because some of the numbness has gone away. After surgery my tongue and lips were both numb for several days. My tongue is still numb and I find it very hard to eat.  Every time I eat the roof of my mouth gets sore. I think this is because I have a hard time eating and chewing my food with my tongue numb. Just wondering if any of you have dealt with a numb tongue too, and did it go away? Hope you are both feeling better now 
    • Posted

Hey Norma,

I was lucky, I had numbness in my left ear for a day or two.

Though at the 4 week mark, I still have minescule external bruising, and still have internal bruising along the jawline and under the tongue. It is still tender when swollowing, or yawning. 🙂 The swelling and scaring is SLOWLY subsiding. After 3 and a half weeks off work, I hope to go back to driving my bus next week, as I now have almost full head and neck rotation. YAY!!!

I still sleep sitting up, as it still swells and is more tender if lay down all night. The incision site is still tender and the skin is numb, with the surrounding area 'burning', with nerve regeneration.

Slowly but surely, it does get better.

• Posted

Glad to hear you are slowly improving. Nice to hear a general tome line on how long I can expect things to last. I had my stitches out today. The Dr said things look good. My swelling has gone way down the past few days. I did look like I had a tennis ball under my chin. Now I just have swelling along the incision which is hard and numb. Still lots of pain in my jaw and mouth and also numb tongue. The dr said that will come back with time 
  • Posted

Hello all,

I have a swollen gland under my left jaw and I'm freaked out now because the scan findings are as read below, can anyone tell me what this means?

"palpable abnormality marker overlies the left submandibular gland (this is the one located under the jaw). Bilateral submandibular glands are grossly symmetric. No definite surrounding adenpopathy"

Please offer any info you can.

Anxiously waiting,

Mel

• Posted

Hey mouth sounds like both glands are swollen due to an infection or maybe a stone or for whatever other reason. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi, I’ve just had my surgery two weeks ago. I’m curious if anyone else has had issues with the inside of their mouth sore since surgery?  The inside of my mouth feels raw like I have a bunch of tiny cuts even though I don’t. It’s irritated under my tongue and all the way up my jaw line on the side I had surgery. I also keep getting canker sores 
    • Posted

No, sorry Norma, just had some bruising, and tenderness. Could it be the nerves protesting?
    • Posted

I don’t think it’s nerves. I actually have some small sores in my mouth like canker sores. Especially under my tongue. I tried to call my surgeons office to ask if this is normal but they are on vacation for two weeks. I’ve called and l left a message with my family dr hoping he can prescribe me a mouth wash that may help. I’m getting really frustrated trying to eat anything. 
    • Posted

I know its old fashioned but maybe try rinsing with salty water, and try a suitable topical gel, like bonjela, used for teething babies/todlers, to soothe the areas.

I had trouble opening my mouth wide enough to eat a spoonful of cereal, for a couple of weeks, or even eating 'solid' food, because of bruising.

I wish you the best in obtaining a quick and satisfying solution.

• Posted

Thanks for the tip. I have tried rinsing with salt water. I’ve also been using orajel for my sire gums. My Dr also called in a prescription for a mouth wash. Hoping that will help. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.