Hard swelling under incision after submandibular gland removal

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi everyone,

4 days ago I had my right submandibular gland removed due to an infection in it and subsequent swelling that would not go down. After the surgery, I was in extreme pain for about 36 hours, somewhat at the incision site but mainly in my throat, which I think was due to the breathing tube insertion/removal. I had no swelling when I left the hospital (same day) but when I woke up the next morning (after barely sleeping due to pain and anxiety) I had soft swelling all around the incision. Now, 4 days later I have less pain (still some in my throat), a bit of numbness around the incision and hard swelling around the incision. I am seeing my surgeon within the next week for a follow up but wondered has anyone else experienced this after this or similar surgery? I am on antibiotics and have no signs of infection and I did not have a drain put in post surgery to deal with any potential fluid.

0 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Similar yes.... 2 days before Thanksgiving they removed my submandibular gland due to an calcium deposit obstructing the flow of saliva. 1st time I have ever been put to sleep & it's been a lil journey. Next day post op I had the drain removed & for first 3 days everything was fine, not even any pain at the incision. Nothing at all, nevertheless it was treacherous soon thereafter. The surgery was performed on a Tuesday n by Friday I noticed a slight swelling jus under my jawline (Top of the neck near face) but pain level was still a 0... Then by Sunday everything changed dramatically & I was in excruciating pain for 10 consecutive days.. Sunday, 5 days later I had a ct scan w contrast & they noticed a lil sac with about 2cc's of liquid, maybe it was infection maybe not nevertheless they give me antibiotics & a methylprednisolone dose pack. 2 wks later I was still concerned due to the hard knot clearly visible to everyone at the incision site... The following Friday I started seeing a dramatic difference with the way everything looked. As of today the swelling has subsided but it still feels slightly tight inside my throat but for the most part I think I'm on the mend. It is far from a simple procedure it's quite difficult to say the least but the suture is not even visible... This was my experience & I hope you have a fast recovery.

• Posted

Similar yes.... 2 days before Thanksgiving they removed my submandibular gland due to an calcium deposit obstructing the flow of saliva. 1st time I have ever been put to sleep & it's been a lil journey. Next day post op I had the drain removed & for first 3 days everything was fine, not even any pain at the incision. Nothing at all, nevertheless it was treacherous soon thereafter. The surgery was performed on a Tuesday n by Friday I noticed a slight swelling jus under my jawline (Top of the neck near face) but pain level was still a 0... Then by Sunday everything changed dramatically & I was in excruciating pain for 10 consecutive days.. Sunday, 5 days later I had a ct scan w contrast & they noticed a lil sac with about 2cc's of liquid, maybe it was infection maybe not nevertheless they give me antibiotics & a methylprednisolone dose pack. 2 wks later I was still concerned due to the hard knot clearly visible to everyone at the incision site... The following Friday I started seeing a dramatic difference with the way everything looked. As of today the swelling has subsided but it still feels slightly tight inside my throat but for the most part I think I'm on the mend. It is far from a simple procedure it's quite difficult to say the least but the suture is not even visible... This was my experience & I hope you have a fast recovery.

• Posted

I'm really glad to find this discussion because all the official health provider information out there regarding submandibular gland removal surgery makes recovery sound so easy and fast. I am about 3 weeks post surgery, and still living on Japanese-style steamed eggs, and similar stuff that I can basically swallow without chewing. Moving my tongue is the number one thing that hurts, and i did not realize how much we need to use our tongue even when we chew food until this surgery! No numbness of the tongue though. The other two things that hurt are chewing and swallowing. And my lower jaw hurts a lot too, it feels like a dull strong pain at the base of my gums. The tiredness post surgery has improved a lot, but it's just crazy that I can't eat anywhere close to normal, and the doctors said I would be able to. Did anyone have quite the same pain that I'm describing?

Also, my smile is super lopsided, and it hurts a lot when i try to force it or practice, and even then it looks super weird, almost like a fake smile. But this I expected.

• Posted

Hi there.

I realise this was posted 16 months ago and I really hope you are now doing well? I have just come across your post and it's the only one I can find that has similar if not the same symptoms as me after this surgery. I had my left submandibular gand removed due to a benign tumor 5 days ago and I am in a lot of pain with my ear/throat/jaw/gum especialy when swallowing. Did this get better for you? or did you find that you actually have problems with these symptoms? I can totally relate with the part where health care professionals make out this is a typical procedure where it won't take much time for you to recover. I understand you may not be going through this anymore but I really would appreciate it if you can reply and give a little advice/reassurance. Thank you 😃x

• Posted

Hi All,

Newest addition to the group here - was great reading through all of your experiences - thank you so much for sharing.

5 days post surgery - no drain put in, in my case for w.e reason, swelling slowly decreasing but dull pain along jaw line and incision and sometimes under my tongue.

The part that is killing me is the pressure/pain that seems to worsen when I eat and depending on what it is it will be immediate or gradually get worse - the pain subsides an hour or so later...

Did anyone else experience pain/pressure when eating at the surgical site?

Thank you!

Naeem

• Posted

how long did the hard swelling last? i have the hard swelling and am concerned if my ranula returned

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.