Hard to breathe feel like a lump in my throat...choking sensations ..scared to sleep,get worse towar

Posted , 19 users are following.

All month feeling awfull...constantly thinking about my breathing...cant understand is it phisical or just mental stuff...some days are better some  are just a nightmare. Dunno what to do..gp saying i have got anxiety but sometimes i feel like i have got some awfull illnes...keeps waking me up at night...and when it does make me that way i get panic attacks cause im very scared...does anyone else have that...? Please help

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It's all in ya head trust me if you have had all test done and ya Dr's say it's anxiety it will be don't worry your not alone with this its the stress that's doing this to you your working your brain to much and that's were stress plays a part playing with your mind all theses feelings you are feeling it's the way your body deals with stress it's mental our brains are unique things powerful 
  • Posted

That's exactly how my troubles first showed themselves. I thought I had something in my throat, couldn't swallow etc.  I jumped out of bed and sent myself into my first full blown panic attack. I don't remember much after that as I was in a state for about 3 months ( needlessly). Finally I got help. I'm fine now and you will be too. It just takes time to learn about your anxiety and what your body and mind are doing. You will always be an anxious person, that problem won't change, but it need not ruin your life. In fact I've said to many people on here that one day you might cherish your sensitivity and grow to accept it. 

The funny thing is, I did have a bit of a sore throat and if I ever get one now it reminds me of it. But I got my head around it by realising that if there was actually something wrong with my windpipe or breathing then I would die during my sleep... but I never do! Which assures me that it's all in my head and my reaction to fear and worry is the real problem here.  

You should go on citalopram and look into CBT therapy. Take time to face up to your anxiety and relax. You have an identical story to many people. You are not going crazy and you don't have some weird throat illness. You will be fine. 

• Posted

Thank you guys for your replies. Means a lot to me. Im trying to deal with this as much as i can but i have to admit that's a hard work. I do boxing for a while already and it kinda helps to clear my head,but as soon as evening comes all my work with myself vapours away. Cause i find it hard to breathe and get scary sensations again. Hate it. sad
  • Posted

I get sleepless a lot and worry too much sometimes but its all anxiety related usually although it takes me a while to recover and get decent nights sleep.

Richard

• Posted

Hi Alex! I just wanted to just give you my experience with the lump in my throat that I get every now and then. I was diagnosed with Acid Reflux disease (GERD) when I was 17 years old. Before I found out I was always having the feeling of a lump lodged in my throat, and i even felt like I couldn't swallow my food or I would choke. My thought would be to try and use an over the counter heart burn medicine for 2 weeks such as nexium or omeprazole. Just to see if the symptoms die down. It definitely helped me! (Stay away from acidic and fatty foods too) smile
  • Posted

If your doctor has eliminated asthma or other physical ailment, then you maybe having panic attacks. My son's panic attacks start with inability to breathe and then whatever happens next he does not remember. He is on Abilify, a prescription drug, but besides that he also takes non-prescription supplements: 1000mg of Inositol for panics, Krill oil and Holy Basil. Hope his experience helps.
  • Posted

Yes I have this 😃 wrote so many post regarding breathing and lump in throat and choking sensation it's crazy I even went to hospital to be told it was anxiety x
  • Posted

Ifeel the same, like a lump in my throat, it's been with me for like 10 days and it's been killing me. When im at school or out with my friends i feel alright, but as i get back home i sometimes feel like throwing up, before when i used to like to stay alone in my room playing video games, but now i feel scared to stay alone and try to hang out with my family. Somtimes when im on my Ps4 i forget about it but as soon as i close it the feeling kind of returns and im too scared to sleep alone, i also feel dizzy on some ocassions. It usually comes at night at about 7-8pm and stays with me till i sleep. When i get it i also feel really nervous and uncomfortable... can you please help me?
    • Posted

hey, i get the exaclty same thing, during the day it is fine, / acceptable.. get worse during evening, some nights breathing feels heavy....

when im on my xbox one i forget about it and when i play basketball its fine, but when im alone at home, or when work is slow i get the lump in throat feeling.. maybe its anxiety maybe is gerd.... i will try some anti acids too see.... 

• Posted

hi

may i know what step u did to cure this kind off illness

iveen suffering same situation for almost 3weeks... 

thanks

• Posted

hi

thanks

• Posted

hi

thanks

• Posted

I sort of know what this means. I have same issues, not sure it's anxiety it's just a bit different. it begs for an explanation in physiology and science. nobody has looked into this yet
  • Posted

I know how you feel, when you get a scary feeling, you constantly think about it and you convince yourself there is something wrong. I have been down that road many times. Doctors become less helpful it seems when you have been diagnosed with anxiety, they just shrug it off as that all the time. For the last week I was having trouble sleeping and when I had heart rate fluctuations, I was scared of sleeping for the fear of not waking up. If doctors have checked you out and I mean really checked you, you should be alright. I don't know what your situation is but if you have any hobbies try doing them to keep your mind of it, the more you over think about it the worse you will make yourself. It's one of the worst feelings in the world but sometimes it is just over thinking. For peace of mind you could try getting a different doctors opinion. Hope you find peace of mind soon.
  • Posted

Hey I am going through the same thing right now, hard to swallow feels like a lump in my throat and always feel like I have to take deep breaths and not getting any air through. I know what it is and still can't stop it. I lost my job from it yesterday because I can't function correctly. This is a terrible disease anxiety is no joke. I was drafted in baseball back in 2013 for the Minnesota twins and ran off the field the field spring training game I pitched. I just want to feel like a normal human being without having to take medication. I'm scared of the way it will make me feel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.