Hardware removal

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have an appt the 17th of this month to discuss hardware removal. It’s almost been a year since my Left ankle bimalleolar ORIF and it’s giving me fits intermittently. I have small ankles and am of average build. I would like some shared experiences to be given for thoughts and education. I think I’ll have a lot of relief with it out and I wondered how it actually felt post removal. Thanks for all you have to offer here, it’s been so helpful in this process.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I wanna know what it feels like to u my hardware feels like my legs is coming apart
  • Posted

I wanna know what it feels like to u my hardware feels like my legs is coming apart
    • Posted

I have these aches where the plate is on the outer aspect of my ankle. It’s like I can feel my tissue/muscle, whatever moving across it and it’s pain inducing. Consistent aching. I sometimes get burning sensations, which I would not expect to go away, as it’s likely nerve pain. The aching, however, I believe would be reduced with removal, being that less foreign matter would cause less sensation. It’s really either just getting to me near my appt or the Kenalog injection I got a couple months or so ago has worn off and this is what it feels like without it. I have high hopes for at least a small improvement. I will keep posted though. How does your ankle feel?
  • Posted

Hi.

I have 2 plates with screws and 2 long screws inner ankle bone. It's been 3 years. I also have pain but my metalwork can't be removed due to the condition of my bones. I've heard they don't usually remove the metal without it's causing problems. I've read where some are better off when the metal is removed.  Are you certain it's the metal causing your pain. I should discuss this with your surgeon or doctor first. Good luck. 🙂

• Posted

I am fairly certain it is mostly the root of my discomfort. My appt the 17th is to discuss my concerns and wish for removal. I have never heard of anyone saying they don’t notice the hardware later in life, and most with considerable displeasure regarding it. I have no other issues with my bones, am of good health, and have confidence in better comfort were it to be removed. He did say initially if it gave me problems we could discuss it so here I am, almost a year later and wanting it back out. I will keep posted. I see no good reason for it to stay but that is also why I am bouncing it off here-for other opinions, so please, they are all welcome. I’m sorry you still have pain. It is so daunting!
    • Posted

Yes, please report back when you get the metal out and let me know how you go on. 🙂

• Posted

Well I finally had my hardware removed! I had it out Friday the 8th and it’s the 11th now. I can tell it’s going to be more comfortable as soon as the healing from removal has succeeded! It’s honestly not too bad. I’ve been off it for 2 days to keep the swelling down but I’m going back to work next week. I plan on trying a bicycle ride tomorrow too. I feel I made a good decision. It will have been a year since I injured it the end of June so I am am happy with the progression.
  • Posted

I should also mention that 3 or so months ago I had bilateral Achilles tendinitis from jogging. That was a different type of pain than I have at the moment. I had the steroid injection, which was AWESOME, but I can’t have them all the time.
  • Posted

I wonder how you feel after 1 year of the operation, do you walk normally as before the surgery? I am 3 weeks post the surgery and I have hard time thinking of negative consequences 
    • Posted

I walk normal. If I am fatigued, as I’m on my feet a lot, I notice it and I make a conscious effort to keep my gate in check so that I don’t have any compensation issues. You don’t have to think of negative consequences. I feel the same way as you! I handle them as the come and stay positive/realistic about it. I’m 38yrs old, fairly active, and 145lbs. If that helps at all for reference. 
    • Posted

I'm 36, 160Ibs, thank you for sharing positive insight, 

1) when you started to feel you're working normally? how long after the ORIF?

2) when did you start weight bearing? my doctor is asking me to start from week 4, but im concerned! 

3) my doc says he's going to remove the 2 screws in week 7. I'm concerned as well.. what do u think?

• Posted

1st ?)-I was walking mostly normal after the entire 2 months. The discomfort felt like I was starting all over everyday. I walked 2 miles everyday after about a week of getting the go to so I could break it in and did PT regularly. Super uncomfortable and super swelling. I had a cryo aircast contraptionin used for icing everyday afterwards. After the walks I was done for the rest of the day with foot up on couch.

2nd ?)- I was weight non bearing for 2 weeks after sx and then 4 weeks after splint removal with a walking boot on, if I remember correctly. I was off work for 2 months. Weight B’ing may not necessarily mean walking, per day.

3)- if he wants to remove the screws he must think it’s ok for them to come out. I don’t know about your break but less metal the better in my opinion!

• Posted

Plus, walking feels wrong at first, WRONG WRONG WRONG! Patience is key.
    • Posted

I can vouch for that!! I have been in shoes for 3 weeks now with full weight bearing(surgery Jan 2nd). I still am not walking what Id call normally, nor is it very fast. You have to concentrate on walking correctly with the surgical side, and when you get tired you really have to concentrate. At the end of my shift my leg is swollen and flat out hurts. By next morning it is fine. 
    • Posted

Do you still walk with your crutches? If not how long did it take you to walk without it? my surgery was jan12. i still have my crutches although i started taking small steps without it since last thursday. thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.