Harmed or suffered adverse effects from mirtazapine? I need your stories

Posted , 41 users are following.

I am present and have been for the past 6 years suffering with adverse effects from mirtazapine. My story is a long, awful, heartbreaking story which has left me and my family devastated. I have been destroyed by this drug.

I am looking for people who have suffered adverse reactions, problems, severe withdrawals or any other issues related to this drug. I don't want to hear anybody banging on about how this drug saved their life because I have read too many bad stories which outweigh and if the good - believe me, I have done enough research into how these drugs work and what they do. I now suffer from brain damage because of this drug and am interested to hear from others who have had bad experiences in order to do something about it.

5 likes, 80 replies

80 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sarah

It’s been 3 years since you posted this. I’m praying you’re better by now. 

How are you doing?

• Posted

Hi Jo.r

Did you ever  hear anything back from Sarah about whether her symptoms improved or not .

It’s a tragic story .

• Posted

Hi all, don’t know what to do. I lost my hearing suddenly and was left with tinnitus. Kind of threw me into depression asnInhave a history of depression in the past. Failed with Lexapro, Celexa 20 kind of did the trick but still had morning anxiety.  Alll the while taking Ativan x3 to get me through. Now I start 15 mgs Mirtazapine and up to 30 mgs. Take in divided doses like at 6 and 9 to avoid the restless leg syndrome.  Carry on ok for 8 weeks down to .5 Ativan x3.  Going out and functioning. Then out of the blue I am hit with the worst anxiety.. can’t explain. ( Btw) seeing a great therapist every week. Feel like I am loosing my mind.. am I doing this to myself?!? So my med doc wants me to increase and I don’t want to considering what I have read and the restless leg syndrome that I already have So she has said I can decrease just a half dose to see if the 30 is causing the anxiety! I really want to add another AD TO the mix and lower the Mirtazapine. Now I feel as though I should go off completely. Could it be causing this anxiety after 8 weeks? Don’t know what med to take next SSRI’s didn’t do too well. Desipramine was the best for me but when I lost my hearing we couldn’t find the best dose that would work for me.  Thinknit May have pooped out. Sorry for the long story. I am feeling so hopeless now 
    • Posted

hi Carole i know its been a while. hope you're well. pls tell me the tinnitus went away eventually. i have the same and its driving me mad

• Posted

Hi. Sarah..i been off. And on remeron for yeara..i know wat youre dealing with...i have insomnia n bad sad effects when stopping..but the 1st 5 years were helpful but the last 5 it seems to exascebate my depresión and make me worse...i wonder if its causing brain damage long term bc the fda protects these pharma companies for profit..can u tell me mmore how the damage is to your brain..bryan

• Posted

I def have severe wds and j getback on it..i think its worseninv my bi polar but ny psyc made a live or die situation as i became a Publisher and was overwhelmed tothe point ofno sleepworrying.....and my Ocd is offthe charts..if i sleep too long..i have to cry and get a breakthrough...like it seems to bandaid my whole enotions or sum..but i want off of it
  • Posted

If you would like to join a FB mirtazapine withdrawal support group, please private message me.
  • Posted

Hi Sarah

Your post above was 3 years ago. Many are wondering how you're doing now, 3 years later. I hope you're doing better.

MR

• Posted

hi, sorry 2hear how yr struggling, tho im totally relieved to know others know horrors im living2!!!!! im also taking these tablets for sleeping, tho i have many more pills also so am finding it hard2 work out why my wold has turned upside down recently!! plus my boyfriend has same meds but rather than listen & help him, his Dr just keeps upping his dose! so we have both been spiralling...tbh my boyfriend is out of control, lost the plot afew times, as a result he chucked me out, destroyed all my belongings & police are now involved....im suspended from work & just cant seem2 get back on track! so thank you for Sharing this, i feel hopeful at last!!!!

• Posted

hi, sorry 2hear how yr struggling, tho im totally relieved to know others know horrors im living2!!!!! im also taking these tablets for sleeping, tho i have many more pills also so am finding it hard2 work out why my wold has turned upside down recently!! plus my boyfriend has same meds but rather than listen & help him, his Dr just keeps upping his dose! so we have both been spiralling...tbh my boyfriend is out of control, lost the plot afew times, as a result he chucked me out, destroyed all my belongings & police are now involved....im suspended from work & just cant seem2 get back on track! so thank you for Sharing this, i feel hopeful at last!!!!

• Posted

Have been on mirtazapine for a year and a bit now. Last December I began have terrible terrible side effects. Which caused me a to panic about going to sleep which caused my insomnia to get worse. This drug was meant to help me not make things worse. Then I made the terrible decision to taper myself off which sent me into a worse state. I am only now starting to recover from this I have now been prescribed effexor xr which seems to be making a difference. I guess I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with effexor. Do not ever want to go back to feeling that way.

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

my 29 year old son who just got his masters degree in social work nine months ago, had a stable job of 4 years working with troubled teens and was very happy and successful and beginning a new and very happy relationship and telling me "this may be the one mom", started taking mirtazapine and on May 7, 2021, he shot and killed himself. His dad and me believe it happened in his sleep caused by a mirtazapine induced night terror. His friend found him a few days later on mothers day. Our son never would have killed himself and he left behind a 13 year old brother that meant everything to him.

• Edited

Hi, I registered to make this post.

It's not simple to write this now because of concentration problems...

I took remeron for 6 months, after 8 years, i'm still brain damaged by this bullsh*t.

When i stopped taking it, it begun slowly waking up daily like loosing my soul, the deepest corners of my soul, till everything i was, was replaced with an void and it is unchanged. In the past i worked as programmer and only was depressed, after this drug I'm disabled, the 8 years passed like a block hole without any ups nor downs, everyday is a repeat of the day before..

I cannot feel love, cannot feel anything, not able to express emotion of anger, my emotions doesnt exist, im a empty shell of the persom i was before. My mind is blank 24 / 7, like i was removed from this planet as a human.

This drug somehow numbs out / destroy your frontal lobe, the part where your soul is.

• Posted

hey sarah i have suffered in-measurably with this drug. i was on it for only 10 weeks. 30mg. at first it destroyed how i was breathing. i hage been off it for 3 months now and breathings okay but what it has done to my brain is not okay. its left me on a constant state of dissaciotion and made my de-personalization disorder so much worse since the withdrawal time is over i now have to live with the effects its had on my brain. its really messed up my perception of reality and outer body experiences. they should warn people but just feeding them tablets like this. i am having to live with what this drug has dome to me. im only 27 and i have been incredibly messed up by tablets. i dont take any anti depressants or anti phycotics anymore and you know what.bim more myself than i hage ever been.btablets are good for some people but they destroyed my life and trying to regain it now with the brain damage its caused me is near on impossible

• Posted

hi - just wondering if you ever started to feel better as time went on? my bf is going through something similar

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.