Harmed or suffered adverse effects from mirtazapine? I need your stories

Posted , 41 users are following.

I am present and have been for the past 6 years suffering with adverse effects from mirtazapine. My story is a long, awful, heartbreaking story which has left me and my family devastated. I have been destroyed by this drug.

I am looking for people who have suffered adverse reactions, problems, severe withdrawals or any other issues related to this drug. I don't want to hear anybody banging on about how this drug saved their life because I have read too many bad stories which outweigh and if the good - believe me, I have done enough research into how these drugs work and what they do. I now suffer from brain damage because of this drug and am interested to hear from others who have had bad experiences in order to do something about it.

5 likes, 80 replies

80 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have adverse reactions to supplement now too - this is withdrawal for you. Can't even take things that are supposed to help!!!

Why give a drug that lowers dopamine? Sick

• Posted

Sarah, how long have you been off the mirtazapine..?

Thanks

• Posted

Sorry no - I have been off 3 months now. It pooped-out in January and been hell ever since.
    • Posted

I agree it's the most horrendous WD ever! Did you get in touch with CITA? I'm hearing they have very good information about mirt withdrawal.

take care sweetie....give it time, you will get better

❤️

• Posted

Hello ... I've noticed you had written 3yrs ago. But how did you come off Mirtazapine. Doctor start my chart a month ago. Basically 45. Down 30 down 15 then 15 every other day. For a week then every 3rd day then down to nothing. But by doing this I've also been taking floxutine 10mg and when I drop down to nothing I started taking 20mg floxutine. But this morning I've woken to withdraw symptoms and feeling like I've got butterflies/shakes all at the same time. (It's a bit like a fright feeling or you've done some wrong feeling). Did you have any withdrawal from it.

• Posted

It's not my intention to scare anyone and I'm sorry if I have. I've just seen so many destroyed by these so called wonder drugs and it breaks my heart. Its just raising awareness of the possible tragic outcomes...and I have seen many. 

I cannot function as a normal human being what-so-ever and I'm ANGRY!!! My life taken away! 

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I'm angry too but don't let the mirtazapine take your whole life away. It's bad right now, but no one knows the future. Live this out day by day and try and think as positive as you can. Don't let this drug beat you! Don't lose the battle.

many have had a very rough time coming off but they are getting back to who they once were. It takes time and patience and the will to beat it.

This too shall pass...

hugs

• Posted

Thank you so much. I know I'm one of the more severe cases and not everyone will suffer to this extent. I pray I will heal and make it through this horrific journey - for my husband and children. They need me. 

Thanks again. Good luck to those who chose to free themselves for mirtazapine. Just remember - do it so slow. Can't stress that enough.

• Posted

Oh and I have read this and so believe it:

Antidepressants do not correct chemical imbalance...they create them. 

So true. Chemical imbalance is a load of bull!

• Posted

I am stuck for over two years on 7.5 and my life is hell.  How can i get off it as im feeling more anxious all the time and psych says ro increase it!!,
  • Posted

Hello.  I am new to this board.  I live in the USA.  My mother has been on this drug, Miritzipan, for several years, she is now 87.  I can't say why she is on it or for how many years she has been taking it but she is taking it and is also on other antidepressiants.  Over the past 3-4 years she has developed  oral Tardive Dyskansia (TD).  Her tongue jets out like a snake, then it rolls around the lips or rolls around the inside of her cheecks.  Her head does not move. Its the lower jaw, lips and mouth that roll and jett out.  Sometimes it is so bad, I can hear people wispering adn pointing at her when this is happeneing.  I will tell my mother to be aware of what is going on with her mouth and tongue and then she says ... "Oh , my mouth is dry and takes a mint."

My mothers story is a long one, whose isn't right? So those details I will skip but I wanted to repsond to this post because I believe the drug, Miritizipan (Mirtazapinme) has caused TD.

Just my 2 cents .......   

• Posted

I was only on mirtazepine for 10 weeks. I expected start up adverse symptoms (similar to those I experienced starting citalopram 3 times in the past) so thought I was prepared.

The first week was like being on some miracle wonder drug. The the anxiety started getting worse, then worse, then catastrophic.

I couldn't sleep more than two hours a night. My arms and torso felt like they were on fire. Rolling full on panic attacks for much of each day.

Ended up in a&e at 3 in the morning because I thought "this is it, in doing myself in".

Then under the care of crisis team mental health nurses. I remember sitting in my own house unable to speak properly to two of them, slurring, stuttering, forgetting words.

Needless to say they took me straight off mirtazepine, have me a bunch of valium and zopiclone to basically knock me out, (they left me some to last me 2 days, then more the next visit two days later and so on as I was such a suicide risk.

Now on trazodone which does the trick though I had to withdraw properly from the mirtazepine before the anxiety dropped.

Still trying to work through what the hell happened 6 moths later.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.