Has any one recovered vitamin D deficiency back to normal ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi to all of you ! We being in the same boat of deficiency ,with all the torturous symptoms . Im sorry all of you are going through this ordeal and i pray for recovery ! My question is .... Has anyone of you recovered yet ? I havent

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Edited

My vit D was 25 just on the deficiency level. I have been taking supplements for a while and I am now at over 70 so vit D supplements do work.

• Posted

Hi , thats great !!! Did you have symptoms ? What were they ? If yes are they all gone now ?

• Posted

Oh and how long did it take ?

• Edited

It took at least three months if not longer, but things got better in the end. My reading went up to 70. I am continuing taking the supplements though.

• Posted

It all depends on how it is managed. Ordinary OTC supplements are rarely enough if you have a severe deficiency - often they don't cover the daily requirement let alone be enough to fill up the empty bucket of vit D stores in the body.

One lady I know had the 10 week very high dose course that is the usual approach (something like 60,000 IU per week for 8-10 weeks) and at the end the vit D test was fine and she was well. A few months later the symptoms reappeared and a vit D test showed she was again very deficient. A second course brought the levels back up again. In the end, she required a relatively high daily dose, 2,000 IU, and still requires a high dose course at times to maintain it.

It is not a good idea to take lots of vit d without getting the blood level checked - but if you aren't improving and the blood level remains low you need more. If it is the symptoms that are persisting then you require other causes of such symptoms to be investigated.

• Edited

Thank you guys ! I am shiwing some improvementv. My leveks were 19 ,i have been on 10,000 ius daily fir 3 months .

• Posted

Hi , yes , im feeling a little better each day , how are you ?

• Posted

I started feeling terrible again. I replied to Gina in Taro's post about my struggles lately if you want to read it. I have increased my dose to 9k/day and hope this will get me up to 70-80 and hopefully maintain my level there for a while until I start to feel better and then slowly reduce it. I was feeling better up until a week ago and then it went down hill again. Seems like the mornings have been the worst so far and pain eases at night. When I first started taking VD 50k/week my pain would increase for about 3-4 days after that but the other days I felt like I would notice improvements. I hope this pain is a good sign that my body is metabolizing it correctly and remineralizing my bones. I've heard the pain can get worse before it gets better so I hope this is true. Glad you are feeling better!

• Posted

Oh im so sorry to hear your levels have went down but im sure in a matter of days they will rise , i havent had mine rechecked yet but due to this month ... Youre right , there is pain during healing , its just like when you get a fever to fight an infection . Your body aches trying to mend ... My best to you , i will ask again in a few days

• Posted

Is everyone sure this is vit D deficiency? You get similar symptoms with polymyalgia rheumatica and some forms of inflammaotry arthritis - which being autoimmune disorders may well be accompanied by low vit D.

• Posted

Hi eileen h , , what were your vitamin D levels ? Are you well ? Have you recovered ?

• Posted

All my labs have been normal. ESR, CK, CRP, ANA, RA factor, MANY antibodies, connective tissues diseases, BMP, CMP, kidney and liver function, electrolyte panels in blood AND urine, MRI's, Xrays, ultrasounds, you name it. Those inflammatory markers have been tested well over twice in the last 8 months because I have been been tested for many antibodies and they are always normal. I have even been tested for HLA-27 gene. All comes back normal or negative. The only thing I have to go by is the Vitamin D. I don't have any joint pain only a spot in my upper right back that hurts when I stretch and it feels like a deep bone pain and I thought it was likely I may have injured this area myself while massaging several times a day with a deep tissue device for months but that's just wishful thinking. My shoulders do get sore but lately after increasing my dose of VD to 9k per day it seems to be getting a little better. I just had lots of soreness all over my upper back and shoulders and when it gets really bad it will go into my neck too. Hoping it is just the VD and I just need some time for my body to heal. I have read that just because your level is within normal range after being deficient doesn't mean your body will bounce back right away. It just means your numbers are now within range to resume normal metabolic processes appropriately which means LOTS of healing time assuming a person has been deficient long enough to cause impairment to ones body. Thank you for replying! I really appreciate your insight.

• Posted

In PMR, for example, the ESR and CRP are the only commonly used markers but in 1 in 5 patients they remain in normal range. That doesn't necessarily mean they aren't raised for the patient - if you have a particularly low ESR in low single figures, it may be raised to 18 which is high for YOU but still "within normal range" according to the lab report.

It's just a thought - and you are quite right, having a "normal" vit D doesn;t mean you should already feel OK. It takes time.

• Posted

I have done ESR tests 3 times this year which all have been under 3. The only reason I am not too convinced about PMR is because the only symptom I can relate to is shoulder issues, however it comes and goes. I don't have pain from the waist down or in my wrists or elbows but I know it just affects everyone differently so I won't leave that option out. I may bring it up to my new doctor in January to see what else we can test for if I am not better by then. It's frustrating not having answers as some days I struggle with accepting it is just VD.

• Posted

Can't remember - lowish. My husband has had vanishingly low levels - but none of the typically expected symptoms. Our daughter too - but no-one takes it seriously and she won't listen to mum 😉 She has asthma

• Posted

Same here , I was experiencing muscle ache and bone ache, taking 50k a week I feel the pain increase the first 2 o 3 day , and then I feel better. For example , I took one pill on Saturday, by Monday I will feel the aches again , Tuesday the same , but on Wednesday are so much better or gone. its pretty weird.

Also i did not have any pain for 2 weeks and after the pill I took on Saturday are back. I think its just part of the process. my level was 7 , pretty low.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.