Has anybody else gained weight with Ebv ?

Posted , 10 users are following.

trying to figure out if my weight gain is due to ebv or the hormone patch dr put me on ? i am so uncomfortable with the extra weight .. i was 110lbs and i barely have any appetite but gained like 20lbs.

when symptoms first started thought it was all hormones but now reealize its ebv. has anybody else put on weight ????

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Edited

No I've lost weight, might be the only positive I can take out of this virus as I was slightly over the BMI for being overweight. I'm now in the normal range and people do comment that it looks like I've lost weight. Mainly in my face and stomach. I've been weighing myself alot since I've been ill and I lost a lot of weight at the beginning and it has levelled off now. My doctor told me this happened as my immune system used my excess weight to fight off the virus.

• Posted

Hey Dodge,

Glad to hear that the weight loss has tailed off, it's definitely worth monitoring your weight during this virus, and it's far more common I think for weight loss than weight gain, viruses can cause that for sure. Vitamins and things can help balance it and just trying to keep a healthy diet although I know it's easier said than done.

Hope you're doing okay this week and remember just take things slowly still.

Craig

• Edited

what if I was normal weight why would it use my weight fo fight the virus if if isnt excess?

• Posted

Hi Lori,

It's funny you say that because I think I put a little weight on during mono, I think it might have been down to the different vitamins and herbs I started taking, if you are taking different supplements that could be a factor perhaps. And of course your ability to do as much exercise has been inhibited too so that may be a factor also.

Hoping that things with your weight settle to a point you feel happy and comfortable with things, remember it just takes time and hoping and praying you can get back to exercise too in due course - those walks / long walks are a great thing Lori a great achievement!

Craig

• Posted

Hi Lori,

I lost twenty pounds from having EBV, my daughter and granddaughter also lost weight.

• Posted

ok it must be the hormone patch that im on then ... before ebv diagnosis they the drs thought it was just a hormone imbalance . im ripping the patch off !

• Posted

Hoping things with the weight loss for you and your daughter and granddaughter have levelled out and are more healthier now Mono too, it's just a reminder of how much your body takes a battering to lose 20 pounds is a lot for sure but to lose it through a virus or illness is not a nice or good thing, just hoping everything is more settled now and you are continuing to see improvements and feel much more like yourself again.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,

I have gained it back, the girls are still down but granddaughter is feeling better still tired though. My daughter is still working they are saying post viral for her. I hope this leaves her soon.

How are you feeling?

• Posted

Wishing much better health for you and your daughter and granddaughter going into the New Year Mono too, what a time the three of you have had. Glad that your weight has returned to normal after the virus, although it's not everyone's ideal scenario, putting on weight is certainly a sign that things are more back in order.

Yes I have been okay, feeling a bit flat after the Christmas period where I was distracted from normal things for a few days at least. Desperately trying different vitamins / herbs to see what helps, need to do better with my attitude and application I know just hoping and praying for better times ahead for us all and grateful for your continued support and asking how I am doing - as ever.

Craig

• Posted

I'm having weight issues as well. I'm a little scared actually. DO you mind going into detail?

• Posted

Hang in there Jorge. It's definitely wise to check in with the doctor if feeling concerned, it can be normal during mono to lose a bit of weight as your body takes a real battering and the low grade and rushing fever can be so intense and drain your body and its resources. Very much hoping that the doctor can give good advice, encouragement put your mind at ease, it's worth the visit for that alone.

Craig

• Posted

I lost 12 pounds within 2 weeks initially. I've gained it all back though. I havent gained any extra.

• Posted

it must be the hormone patch im on then as ive barely been eating . no clothes fit me its a horrible feeling .

• Posted

Hoping that things with your weight settle down Lori, so frustrating I know but do take heart that if you're gaining weight it is a sign that your body is coping a bit better with the virus perhaps (well or at least not coping as badly if you were dramatically losing weight).

Glad your weight loss has been regained too Jen, hoping everything is settling out for you with that now and that you are feeling settled at the moment.

Craig

• Posted

I did gain weight, a lot, about 20 pounds. (I'm tiny and very sporty.) I've been sick for 2 years now, although it is much better these days. My weight gain was all generalized edema and kind of fluctuated a bit but I always stayed quite swollen. Now I've lost most of it but I still have water in my body and still get swollen on my bad days (especially in the abdomen, lower body area and on my face).

I don't know if it's the same for you, but if it's water, like for me, then your face (especially around the eyes) will look very-very swollen after waking up in the morning (because water distributes differently in your body when you are lying in bed at night) and your legs and belly will get more swollen in the evening (due to gravity and staying upright during the day).

By the way, I've been tested for this and the doctors had no idea, blood tests showed nothing.

Maybe it's not edema for you but this is what happened to me and it was incredibly frustrating since it changed my appearance too on top of being tired and having brain fog all the time.

• Posted

well that makes me feel a bit better... yes its like ive just ballooned up ! i too was very in shape no fat whstsoever but the hardest part is nothing fits me . im at month 9 going into 10... i sure hope this weight drops off its making me unconfortable.

• Posted

Hello Agi,

So sorry to hear you've had such a tough time with this virus over 2 years, goodness knows you must be so drained and weary of it all. I just want to offer some encouragement that I've read stories of people on the site who were ill for similar length of time to you and went on to make a full recovery, for some people it just seems it is an extended extended time to get over this thing. I know that after 2 years I was still only working part-time and although generally feeling much much better, there was still improvement after that until I felt pretty much like my old self again - so hang in there, there is hope Agi.

That must be an awful thing you've dealing with, this swelling and water retention. I just hope that the doctors can help and offer some reassurance / good advice regarding this. I'm not sure if trying something like water retention tablets may help (I'm sure this is something you've perhaps already tried / looked into anyway), or maybe seeing a herbalist or trying some different herbal type remedies might be worthwhile if the doctors are not really giving you much to help.

Thinking about you Agi and hang in there - I know it was only through God's help and grace and mercy I was able to get through such an awful time with the virus myself, and believing that God will get you through this too Agi. Hoping and praying that a real breakthrough and turning point is on its way very soon, I am believing that this is going to be a better year for you Agi.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.