Has anybody had a Sphincterotomy?

Posted , 102 users are following.

Hi All, I've been advised to 'seriously consider' a Sphincterotomy following Botox, which doesn’t seem to have worked. Although I'm booked in for a second round of Botox, my consultant advised me to have the 'risky' op The risk he says could result in incontinence and this is what scares me. Has anybody had this procedure, what was the recovery time and did it work, without the incontinence? Thank you.

4 likes, 260 replies

260 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I was signed off for 3 weeks- but bearing in mind it was in the lead unto to Christmas/ New Year. I can't remember the exact % quoted by the surgeon but the success rate was high 90's. I was told it was generally more successful in men vs. women.

Like you I researched and looked at forums, spoke to GP's and a friend who is a surgeon… in the end the pain was too great and something had to be done.

I am pleased I had it now and looking back perhaps should have gone sooner as mine was a chronic fissure.

Went back to see surgeon in Jan '14 - quick examination and signed off/ok etc. Advised to drink water, go to the toilet when required (don't hold a motion) in etc.

My quality of life is so much better now.. thanks to the surgeon and his team.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi, I just had one last night (3.7.14).

I was diagnosed with a chronic anal fissure 2 weeks ago but ive had pain in that area for more then 2 months. I'm a 34 year old male. I used to take a lot of codeine for migraines and eating heavy bought constipation and that was most likely the caused of my fissure.

first visit to the doctor he gave me some cream and didn't even check, he concluded hemorrhoids, so I took his advise and went home to continue using the cream over a few weeks but nothing! Pain was getting worse and worse to the point where I was in so much pain after a BM that I would roll around on my bed like a child in pain and mind you I'm a pretty big bloke and I cant handle pain and have a strong mind BUT this was different. There was also a lot of blood in toilet.

So I went to another GP who I hadn't  seen in a few years and he quickly checked me out and confirmed it as a fissure, gave me some ointment "rectogesic" I think it was called, tried it once,  major migraine so didn't bother again. I went back and told him I needed pain killers I was in agony so he gave me "targin", numbed the pain good, its like morphine, it has oxycodone. While I was there he called a friend of his who happened to be Melbournes (im in australia) leading surgeons in the field, he booked me a consultation for a few days later, I went down and he told me I need surgey (sphincterotomy) he pretty much said straight out that he has done thousands of ops and seen thousands of patients and there is no way that it would heal alone by eating better or taking medication, he said it maybe will disappear "temporarily" but it will be back! So I said book me in! He did for the week after which was last night. Went to hospital and they explained everything beforehand, the surgeon was a gentleman, they started by laying me down and giving me a needle I dont know what was in it but I will tell you that it made me feel like I'm on a cloud, felt nice, soon after they put the  mask on and within seconds I was gone, woke up an hour later and the nurse said all done! I was shocked, I was like really? Then I was anticipating the pain to come along because I felt absolutely good down there so I thought once the meds wear off im stuffed, 1 2 3 4 hours still no pain no nothing, went home still nothing, went to sleep and woke up today, still nothing! Im pain free! I can feel some bruising a little tiny bit, but I feel like a new human! THEN started getting anxious about my first BM and that's when the fear kicked in! Considering the last few months have been TORTURE going toilet I think fear was 100% justified, going toilet the pain! Then after BM the stinging pain for HOURS. so yeah guys don't want to bore you more, went to the bathroom, had a BM and nothing! No pain during or after! My life is back! But I hope it stays like this. I am amazed because life did STOP for me with the fissure, no work, no fun, no intimacy, no going out, just constant misery! So I know how all you guys feel really, go do it ASAP! DO NOT DELAY. Don't think you can fly around forums and try to find a cure cause you wont! No ointment, no sitz baths, no metamucil/psyllium husk, no movicol, no high fibre diets, will cure this nightmare, yes all of those will help a little with BM and keep taking them but don't expect it to cure you if you have an acute or chronic fissure. Its still early days for me but I am confident its over. 

Anal fissures can ruin your life! I haven't worked in months, lost my job no income and ran out of money! Luckily health care system in Australia is free! I don't care if I have no money and have to find a new job and do it tough for months, just don't bring back that nightmare. All the best guys.

• Posted

Great news Fredoooooo1. So happy to read some good news after surgery. I also had the operation in May of this year, and like you; I'm now pain free.  Having the surgery is the only way to go as long as one finds the right doctor who knows what he is doing.

Best wishes to you.  

• Posted

I absolutely second your opinion, I 100% have same case and had it for 13 months ...just got it done yesterday 30/10/14.

• Posted

Hi Kay and others,

I am getting my surgury on 1/9 and I am so scared, put it off for about a year and suffered the whole time. I couldn't take it anymore so I am finally doing it. Worried about the incontinenece issue. Sounds like you all had good experiences. I hope mine is good too. How are you doing now? What was the recovery like?

• Posted

Hi Mate 

I currently suffering from a fissure, i believe it was from a botched banding procedure. What was the name of the surgeon that did your op? And was it done in Melbourne ? Lastly have you been fissure free since then ?

Cheers  

• Posted

Hi fredoooooo

Am suffering from fissure too... Want to know how is it after the surgery... Second day.... How much time did it take to heal? Am too scared to go in for the sprinctotonomy

• Posted

Hi, I had my sphincterotomy done July 23 and I am glad I had it done. I was first diagnosed with a fissure June 29. The surgeon first prescribed nitroglycerin ointment 4% to help with the excruciating pain. It was helping until I started having several bowel movements in a day, which started other problems such as re-opening my fissure. Then the sphincter was over aggravated and would not relax, so the spasms lasted for hours. The pain was excruciating and this lead to me going to the emergency room. I was admitted and the surgeon proposed Botox injection to help heal fissure. This procedure was performed on July 15, and I was discharged home after staying in the hospital 2 days. The first bowel movement was not as painful as I expected, possibly because I was anticipating the pain to be excruciating. It wasn't it as painful as I thought, it was stinging and some burning but it lasted for a couple of minutes. Everything was going good until the 4th day after surgery. My husband had to rush my back to the emergency room because the pain was excruciating. My surgeon did tell me prior to the the Botox injections some people require it to be done twice. I decide to have the sphincterotomy instead of another Botox injection, which I am glad I did. I am 10 days post-op and so far so good. When I go to the bathroom it doesn't hurt as much, I believe the pain is from the procedure and my bottom is tender and after there is some burning and stinging nothing I can't handle. So, far no incontinence and no complaints. in closing, I am glad I decidd to have the sphincterotomy done. my follow-up appointment is August 4th and hopefully I will be able to return to work soon. I hope this helps someone and everyone I hope relief comes soon.

Meme.

• Posted

I am due a second lot of botox as fissure has returned with avengence the first injections have worked for 4 yrs until due to have more botox very soon now im worried this wont work and i wonder why my consultant didn't mention or consider this type of surgery to me? Im currently having to take diazepam so i can live a normal day to day life with the awful pain any advice would be great.

• Posted

Morning. I had a haemerroidectomy and sphincterotomy. It has been 4 weeks and I am so glad I had it done. Botox was not recommended by 2 surgeons I visited. The relief from the extreme original pain was over night and immediate. It has taken a few weeks to recover post surgery but nothing compared to the extreme pain experienced before. Regards
    • Posted

I was pain free for 4 yrs though up until recently? I was never told about these other options shall mention to my consultant? Im due more botox very soon regards.
    • Posted

Botox worked 4yrs ago i was pain free from day after surgery only the last couple of montgs has returned due for more botox consultant didn't inform me of these other procedures now im scared it wont work regards.

• Posted

My surgeon in Australia said Botox was a temp solution and I read many articles on medscspe supporting this.
    • Posted

Don't bother with Botox. Ask for a sphincterotomy. It changed my life. Home the same day. Recovery no worse than what youve been living with

• Posted

Hi fredo- im in melbourne and in need of a good surgeon to do this who was your guy ive had botched surgery on bowel before im scared and need a good surgeon to bow fix my anal fissure and tightening problem. Thankyou. Please email me

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hiya im in Melbourne too could you please tell me who your surgeon was and whcih hospital?
    • Posted

Hello Freeedo....any reviews on your surgery after all this time?  Are you still glad you did it?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.