Has anybody had a Sphincterotomy?

Posted , 102 users are following.

Hi All, I've been advised to 'seriously consider' a Sphincterotomy following Botox, which doesn’t seem to have worked. Although I'm booked in for a second round of Botox, my consultant advised me to have the 'risky' op The risk he says could result in incontinence and this is what scares me. Has anybody had this procedure, what was the recovery time and did it work, without the incontinence? Thank you.

4 likes, 260 replies

260 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi. I had the spincterectomy op yesterday with removal of skin tag also. I have suffered for 9 years now and having previously had 3,lots of botox injections to help heal, I finally decided to have the op. My surgeon sent me to physiology to have a muscle function test first to make sure my muscles down there were strong enough not to cause incontinence. So far, I won't lie the pain from the op is very sore. I've had paracetamol and IBU and codeine for when its really bad. I also had morpheme in theatre. I'm still bleeding but not had bm yet. I'm on laxido and liquid paraffin for stool softeners. Surgeon told me minimum 2 litres water daily and lots of green veg. Because of my pain level now, I expect its gonna hurt when I go. I thoroughly researched my surgeon first making sure he had done 100s of these ops. The post pain is bad but I'm hoping in time it will be worth it. My fissure started after my csection 9,years previous. I long for the day to poo in peace. I have found some very useful advice given by my pharmacist was to hold the shower head over anus opening after a poo. Rather than using toilet roll. It keeps the area much cleaner and somehow help takes the pain away. I have been prescribed codeine 4 times a day but so far have only used it once a day

Good luck to u all. I can't wait to be pain free finally get my life back

• Posted

Hi Claire406.  I had the same done as you a year ago. The first BM after three days was not painful. I also used used liquid paraffin which worked well.  My doctor also gave me codein which I did not use as they can cause sever constipation and you don't need that.  I used over the counter pain medication instead.  I also blead for about two days and was black and blue down there but it went away after a week or two.   I'm so glad I had the surgery as living with fissures is no way to live as it takes over your life just about.

Wishing you well,  

Karen.

• Posted

Hi Karen. Thank you for taking the time to reply that was so nice of you. Please may I ask do you still take laxatives now? I think it was the codeine I had 9 years ago when I had section that caused the chronic fissure to escalate. It's been all this time. So far I've only had one codeine each day I.e. Yesterday and today. When I woke the pain was terrible. Tonight I'm taking ibuprofen and a dry biscuit to bed. Any help or advice forward I would be very grateful. Kind regards Claire 
    • Posted

Claire406 to answer your question, I do not use laxatives at all  because they make me go more often and  I don't need that. I did use stool softners for a long time after the surgery.  Like the advert says on TV the stool softeners that don't make you go just makes it easier.  Like you, I was taking codein for several years which aggravated the fissures although the pain free days were wonderful but I paid the price they made everything worse.   Since I had the surgery, I now have to watch the food I eat.  Anything with a lot of acid in like fruit or fruit juice will cause a burning sensation.  Experiment with foods and you will know what causes the burning sensation that if you get the burning.   Even though I'm now pain free, I have excepted the fact that that part of my body will always be very sensitive.    I have days when I have no discomfort, but then others days when I'm sore and then I remember what I had to eat the day before. It is all a learning experience.   I also get a certain amount of tummy bloating  since the surgery for which I take a Probiotic tablet which helps a lot.   When this happened to me, I honestly thought I was the only one with this problem until I found this site. Keep in touch and let us know how you get on as time goes by.

All the best to you,

Karen.

• Posted

Hi Karen. I went today. It took me over an hour. I was sweating and in and out of the bathroom. Once the first bit was out without absolutely no pushing., the rest just came. Completely exhausted me out but its so early days for me. No codeine today. Liquid paraffin is discusting to take! Skin and area is very sore. Rang gp. She said in time I will be able to reduce the amount of laxitives I have, as it heals. It did hurt to pass but it was the first one. Gp thinks I'm on the road to recovery. Xxx
    • Posted

Hi Claire, I'm a 43 yr old mother of two. I had both my children natural childbirth. My first had his arm stuck up with his shoulder, which caused vaginal tearing. My second, 7 years ago came qicker, 3 hours and I felt as though I would burst. Anyway, all these years thinking I had hemorrhoids - not the case. After meeting and being examined by our local surgeon, I opted for the surgery. Now on day 4, I am extremely sore and I can see some bruising . I was becoming constipated after day two, even after taking Miriam and benefited and drinking lots of water. I drank some senna tea the night of day two, so the next morning was violent. My first bm was scary, painful and never-ending. I would not recommend the senna tea, it causes too much stomach bubbling and gas. I was given ocycodone, but told to interchange with Tylenol and ibuprofen. I know everyday will get better, but it is a chore of recovery.. your post I could relate to the most, thank you smile
    • Posted

Hi. I had a terrible time after my op, honestly in told my go I wanted to die the pain was ridiculous. I had an infection. It was horrific. I was put on metronidazole and told to take laxido and actualise and liquid paraffin. After a good few days, it started to get easier. My husband was checking the area daily too. I find using the shower head after bowel movement really helps. I also bought some fabulous cream off amazon called calmoseptine. It did take a good few days to come as it comes from America. It is fantastic. Really good. Now I'm post op2 months and I sometimes get a little skin irritation but I poop with no trouble. Usually first thing as I take the laxatives at night. Hang in there. My skin was in a right mess and terribly sore after the op. Now I poop no problem after 9 years I'm free!!!!!! Xxxx
    • Posted

If u take codeine up your laxatives too as u def don't want hard poop. Xx
    • Posted

Hi Natasha57765, I too had a fissure due to giving birth. I went inyo surgery originally to remove hemorrhoids but it ended up being a chronic fissure which was why I got the sphictorotomy instead. when did you have your surgery? Have you recovered fully yet? Has your pain gotten better? I just had mine two days ago and am terrified to even eat anything. I am sticking to salads and water but am wishing I can have some really food soon. Not to mention I am taking stool softeners and fiber gummy, haven't even touched the Vicodin they prescribed because of fear of getting constipated. What does everyone's meals consist of after the surgery?
    • Posted

Claire, so what would you say was the full recovery duration? I mean where you're able to forget about it and eat a moderate meal?
    • Posted

I would say it was 8 weeks and I pretty much eat what I like, which is normally a healthy diet anyway. My tear originally happened after birth x
    • Posted

In the early days after surgery I was eating loads of sprouts and greens to heal it xx 
    • Posted

Thanks Claire! I can't believe that giving birth was traumatic enough to cause hemmorhoids and fissures. Hopefully the eight weeks go by quickly and that I can get back to a semi normal life. And like you, I plan to maintain a good healthy diet to avoid any future conditions. 
    • Posted

Hey Claire

i have seen you replies and they set my heart at ease a bit. I had done my surgery for 2 anal fissures a month and a week ago. I tried many lax post-op but always get constipated until I tried lactulose and it does relaxe me a lot for about 2 weeks now. But still I feel pained though minimal after my morning BM. How long did it take you for full recovery?! Do you feel any pain now?! And are you still on any lax?! 

I know your post is over a year ago but I would be very grateful if you consider replying. Thank you. 

Aliaa

• Posted

Hi, sorry I haven't been on lately,

I panicked about the recovery time as mine seemed to take forever! It was a good 3 months I would say. Occasionally after that I would get the odd nip when passing. I'm off all kinds of meds now (however I always keep to hand) , i never let myself get constipated and things are really pretty normal tbh. Healing feels like 95percent now as the area always is gonna be highly sensitive. I pretty much avoid dark meat in my diet. It's so nice to poop

Pain free! Some tips I have found, I bought calmoseptine ointment off Amazon. If the skin was sore and itchy and often was in the early days, I would apply. Drink loads of water and avoid dark meat. I hope this helps x

• Posted

Hi Claire, hoping you are still around. I had a lateral sphincterotomy with the unplanned removal of skin tag today which my surgeon told me the skin tag would make the healing process considerably longer and more painful. Just wondering what your experience was, how quickly were you able to function? I absolutely have to go to work mid next week and am panicking. Also do you know if incontinence is going to be an issue if it presents straight away or can happen over time? I just had

a very anxious moment thinking 'please don't let it be poo' after passing wind for the first time post op.

• Posted

Hi karen. How are things? I know it's been a week. Just curious to see how you are doing?

• Posted

Hi there

I feel terrible saying this given most people have had trouble but I'm doing really well. Had some discomfort the day following surgery and was a bit worried for a few days thinking it had failed as I could feel spasms but everything settled and I'm feeling so much better than I was before.

Thanks for asking and I'm sorry to read that you are having a rough time. I hope it starts to improve soon smile

• Posted

I so glad it worked out well for you. I hope it stays on the good side of the healing process.

The only reason mine became such a hell was due to the abscess that formed where my incision is. It's getting better now (5 weeks later). Better late than never.

• Posted

Hi karen1307,

Hope you can share your experience. I had my sphinterotomy done on 3/24. Doctor said he removed the skin tags too. One of them was big like a thrombosed external hemmoroid. Came home with no pain bcos of local anesthesia. Post op day 1 with no BM, but the wound was super sore. Had to take one opioid pain med together w one stool softener. I also took a couple of dulcolax before I went to bed. Post op day 2 woke up with urge to poop. Omg I wanted to go so bad but it just didn't come out. I felt very constipated. It was the most horrific experience I ever had. I spent 40 mins sitting on the toilet and finally after pushing, straining it came out. I was so weak after. Today is post op day 4, honestly still very sore down there. Been taking ibuprofen since yesterday. Also taking couple of laxative before bed. Don't want to push or strain again. I was so painful on the first BM. Can u tell me when you started to feel better? I'm too scare to even take a look down there. But I can feel that there is something big on my ass , I believe is the swelling of the wound. Do U know when swelling will go down ? I'm so miserable. Don't know when I will feel better.

• Posted

Hi Claire wanted to know how ur doing now after op? Is it worth? R u in stoop softners? Pls rep
    • Edited

Hello All, i just had surgery and in alot of pain. They did the sphinterotomy and removed the skin tags. I am in so much pain and i am in my 3rd day. Does it get better? I have baths every hour it feels. I started taking paracetamol mixed with ibuprofen and it seems to help for a couple of hours. The doctors dont seem fussed but how can it be this normal to be in this much pain. I am just resting each day as i cant really walk around. Did my first bm and nearly fainted with pain. Im hoping i wake up tomorrow a bjt better.
    • Posted

Unfortunately the pain will last a couple more days. My pain increased between days 3-6. I soaked pretty much hourly. That way my only relief. My dr kept telling me it was normal to be in so much pain and discomfort. I was told not to put anything on it but I eventually ordered some calmoseptine ointment and the pain almost left immediately. This ointment pretty much kept the area set and allowed it to start healing. Your bm should be easier as well. For about 3 weeks when I used the bathroom I would immediately soak. Make sure you soak after you use it. Also I somehow applied ice to that area for about 10 mins at a time before naps and bed. I hope your pain ease up. I had a very intense surgery and I had so much going on in there that my recovery was extra painful but around day 8 I felt normal again.
    • Posted

Oh yea, STOOL SOFTENERS! it's a must. I was taking 2 at a time.

• Posted

Hi Hannah, well done for taking the very brave step to have the opertion. Try to focus on the pain before the operation and that you should see a rapid improvement

Dave

• Posted

Thank you Maria,

Im going get those 2 items tomorrow from chemist. Do i need a referal from doc? I feel iv taken to many pain killers and that im not trying to take so many. Im still bleeding thats normal? Its all black and bruised down there also.

• Posted

You can buy the stool softener over the counter senokat works beat for most people. The cream, I had to order but I bet any kind of baby's butt paste will work. My dr advised me to keep the area dry... I felt like it was always some moisture there. That cream allowed it to stay somewhat dry. I had to read a lot of comments and most people said they ended up using an ointment. Believe me I know your pain. I dont cry but around day 5 I had a meltdown. Another thing for me was to walk around some. When you sit or lie down too much, you get stiff and that makes it worse.

• Posted

Also, try to take your self off the pain medicine. As you know, any narcotics will make you constipated which will cause more harm than help. The stool softeners should work in about 12 hrs. Start with 2 if your bowels are hard to push out. Mu dr told me I could go up to 3 a day but to make sure my bowels dont get runny.
    • Posted

I had some blood spots on my sanitary pads for around 3 weeks
    • Posted

Hi Hannah,

I wouldnt put anything on the surgery site. Just keep taking ibuprofen (I took 600mg every 4-6 hours with food). Back off narcotics and take lots of stool softeners and water. Keep soaking and using ice packs. The pain will decrease as swelling goes down but you may see blood for awhile. The good news is your life will be SO MUCH BETTER! I am almost 3 years post op and completely pain free! It is truly a miracle. Prayers for quick healing!!

• Posted

Thank you for everyones help. Im awake at 2am just had another bath. Is it meant to smell? Im a bit worried it being infected etc. Will put ice pack on it now. Just cant get over the pain im in. Its amazing how much our bodies can tolerate.
    • Posted

Hannah,  

Have the surgeon take a look but they told me that it’s extremely rare to get infection.  Keep the stool loose and use ibuprofen and ice. If it is infected, they will give you antibiotics...

• Posted

Thanks heaps, just dont want to annoy the doctors. But going to call up this morning. Now 4am and haven't slept due to the pain and i have a job interview today. No one told me it would be this painful.

• Posted

Call and speak to nurse about your concerns.  You shouldn’t be out on a job interview yet. Take it easy. The pain will get better but it takes weeks to return to normal
    • Posted

I just had the surgery 2 days ago. So far so good. I'm wondering if I should always continue to take stool softners so I don't get another fissure. You haven't had any issues since your surgery?

• Posted

I didn't need to and havent had an issue in 7 months. Only side effect is slight lack of flatuence control but it hasn't been at an embarrassing moment yet!

• Posted

I still stoolsofteners but I had issues before surgery that kept me constipated. I didnt have any side effects from the procedure. My surgeon and regular gti de recommended me to stay on stool softeners until I got back normal.
    • Posted

How are you feeling mandy? Im in day 4 and finally worked out my routine to handle the pain.
    • Posted

Stay on them for awhile until you are completely healed. At least 3 months and then see how you do. I am 3 years out and have only taken them twice when I felt constipated. The surgery really is a miracle.

• Posted

Seriously thank you so much Maria.

That cream is amazing, the pain has gone. Finally a light at the end of the tunnel.

• Posted

No problem! I hope its smooth sailing from here on out. I had to read tons of conversation on this forum to see what majority of patients did for their pain and that cream was the common solution. You will probably have some more bad days as far as pain but you should be over the worst.
    • Posted

I'm doing ok. Thank you for asking!! The worst is after a BM. I'm trying to take less pain pills. All BM have been loose but still painful after I go. I've been taking extra miralax because of the pain pills but I think I will cut the amount in half.

• Posted

I went to the job interview in the end and got the job smile high on pain meds and pushed through. Now all the stress of that is gone. Time for just healing.
    • Posted

Congratulations on the new job. I hope we both feel better soon. When do you start the new job? I'm supposed to go back to work Tuesday. I can't imagine working right now.

• Posted

Thank you. Im gonna take another week off just in case. As im not sleeping still. Like right now its 1am and im still wide awake. Can you take extra time off work in case?

• Posted

Please tell me what cream you are talking about. I just can’t deal with this pain. It’s so intense. I need some kind of topical cream to help 
    • Posted

You poor thing. I totally feel you. Its called calmoseptine. I live in a Australia and i was able to get it over the counter. I checked with my doctor also and he said it was fine to use. It can only get better thats what i keep reminding myself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.