Has anyone been given Nalmefene / selincro ?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have been following the development of the Nalmefene drug and have tried to get my own Gp to perscripe it for me but with no success. It seems to be the just the thing I need to help me cut back. 

I would be interested if anyone can tell me why I can't get it.

Regards

Alan

2 likes, 103 replies

103 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Price is the simple answer. Nalmefene costs around £3 per tablet. In each area, there is a committee which decides which drugs can be prescribed by GPs. You will have seen stories in the news about a postcode lottery which affects some patients getting cancer drugs. It is by this same decision-making process that Nalmefene is either available or not, based on the committee's decision. Each item on a prescription costs the patient (if they are not exempt from the charges) £8.05. Obviously, that would cover the cost of less than 3 tablets and, with an attitude (a very wrong one) that alcohol problems are a 'choice' that indiciduals have made, many of these committees are just not prepared to add Nalmefene to the approved list.

This goes against recent guidelines from NICE who have recommended that Nalmefene should be prescribed to patients who are drinking a 'little' too much.

It may be worth asking your GP if he/she would give you a private prescription for Nalmefene. You have to pay the full cost of the medication at the pharmacy for private prescriptions but, if you consider that one £3 tablet is similar to the cost of one drink, it may be worth it to you as it helps to reduce what you drink.

• Posted

Excatly my thoughts, I would be happy to pay for it, I need the help but the last time I went to see a Gp, he hadn't even heard of Nalmefene! I had to show him the article I had first seen. I wasnt aware that I could ask for a private perscription thou. Might try that next 
    • Posted

Hi Paul, you seem to know lots about selincron, wonder if you can help me. I was too ashamed to go to my doctors also I don't want it on my medical records so I bought selincro online after much research. Took my first tablet but the side affects we're terrible , fever, insomnia, dizzy, terrible sweating, nausea, aching, spaced out. Could this be withdrawal symptoms from alcohol aswell as med as this is the first time I have tried to quit or cut down drinking and quite a heavy secret drinker?

• Posted

I answered this in the other place you posted a similar message. Let me find it and I will paste my answer again smile

• Posted

Here is what I said:

Not if you are still drinking, Debbie, which you should be with Selincro. Don't try to stop drinking without a proper medically supported alcohol detox. It can be very dangerous.

Selincro will naturally help you to reduce over time. Each time you drink (after taking a pill) you will get the benefit of the drug blocking your opioid receptors, retraining your brain with the ultimate aim of making your addiction 'extinct.'

Side effects can be difficult to deal with initially. They DO subside over a period of about a week for most people. It's worth persisting because of the ultimate reward.

• Posted

Hi Paul, just wondering.. Ive been on Nalmefene for just over a month yet my desire to drink more than a bottle of red has not deminished... should I be worried ? 
    • Posted

It can vary with different people how quickly the process of pharmacological extinction of the addiction occurs. The research suggest 3-4 months so keep persisting. With my clients, I get them to keep a chart of a craving score (out of 10, four times a day), the time they took their pill and the total number of units they consume each day. That allows them to see a pattern and tie it up with the time they take their Nalmefene.
  • Posted

Hi Alan, I will follow your posts with great interest.  I am wanting to cut down on my nightly consumption, I don't feel ready to contemplate total abstinence.  I haven't approached my doctor yet, but was interested to hear from Paul that a private prescription would be an alternative.  

Please let us know how you go on.....and good luck.  

Pat.

• Posted

I know exactally how you feel, I am stuck between wanting to be safe and stop drinking so much and wanting to be still be me.... I am smiling at the fact that I am here on this site, having drunk 2 bottles of cheap 10.5 wine and feeling fine and knowing that in the morning I will be awake at 7am bright and cheerfull but my lovely lady who has n't drunk anythinng will be grouchy as hell if I wake her before 11am 
    • Posted

Yes, yes, I totally concur with that.  Because I never drink during the day, in fact never before 8pm, I really don't feel the need to stop altogether, at least not right now.  I just need to get down to the safe units as stated everywhere.  I want to stll be me too....

Pat

• Posted

Hi Alan I have just managed to convince Gp to prescribe me for 6 months only and that has taken me a couple of months jumping through hoops by insisting I go to weekly support which I do. He seems to think it is to be used with support with a final abstinence but I read the information as it is for cutting down. I will see what develops in time. What reasoning did your Gp give because to be honest mine had never heard of it so Im educating him and being the guinea pig in the practice. He also says it's too expensive.

Regards

Lin

Rega

• Posted

Hmm as Paul said, I think its a mixture of price and ignorance. (Not having a go at Dr's they are busy people) I will be booking an apointment and this time I'm not going to be fobbed of with vitamin B tablets.

Is there anyone else who will join me? I understand the need for support but really want to be forced to go to group.

Linda how are you finding it? Do the tablets actually work? £3 is a lot to pay but its still cheaper than my nightly booze intake. 

• Posted

You do feel a bit strange but yes they definAtely work which is amazing because you don't actually want another drink. My Gp has told me if I stop support he will withdraw the prescription.

Lin

• Posted

Linda, how many tablets do you take and when?  How long do the effects last?  I am so pleased to hear that it seems to be working for you and further strengthens my determination to try and get a prescription.  Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate any info you take the time to post.  Thank you,

Pat

• Posted

One thing I've found today is this ;The Cure for Alcoholism: The Medically Proven Way to Eliminate Alcohol Addiction. A kindle book on Amazon, I have just ordered it and will let you know what I think. The reviews are excellent. So I'm hoping that this along with the Namefene will get me back on the straight and narrow.
    • Posted

It is very well worth a read and challenges the traditional view that people who get into trouble with alcohol have somehow imposed that on themselves. Dependence on alcohol is a physical illness NOT bad behaviour. Every person with an alcohol problem should read this book.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.