has anyone else been experiencing bowel pain 3 weeks after hysterectomy?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had TAH and ovaries removed 3 weeks ago today to deal with a large fibroid. After the op my surgeon told me I also had endometriosis. Ever since I came home I have been kept awake in the early hours every night by bowel pain and noise - its not v severe but enough to wake me up at regular intervals. It got a bit better after the first 4 days but since then stays about the same every night.I am not constipated and once I have had a bm, the pain settles down....till 3am again! My GP says things feel OK and "fingers crossed, its bruising and will settle down" but after 3 weeks of not sleeping well, I am getting tired and anxious that this is not simply going to resolve itself

Has anyone else had similar at 3 weeks and what helped?

Thanks

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm 3 weeks tomorrow, I haven't had problems during the night, but when I eat I sometimes get pains then. The only thing I have done to keep things going (after the initial movical) is to drink half a glass of prune juice every morning with my breakfast, it seems to work well for me. Do you eat last at night? If you do maybe try eating earlier?
    • Posted

Sorry meant do you eat LATE at night not neccesarily last thing.
    • Posted

Hi there

No, don't eat especially late in the evening. I'm not having any trouble keeping things going, it just seems to be that either my bowels are working more at night or cause pain then when I'm still and lying down, rather than during the day when I'm moving around more and don't get the pain.

Thanks for replying.

• Posted

Maybe try the prune juice (or something similar if you don't like it) as that will keep any 'motions' soft, if it's that your bowel is still bruised being soft may help it to pass through easier. Good luck let us know how you get on x
  • Posted

Hi Julie

I am 3 weeks post op TAH and ovaries removed . I have exactly ye same symtoms ! I have been told that this will take time to settle , eat fruit veg still take laxative etc lots of water. Are you doing your excersises that the physio gave you ? It's helps with trap wind too.

What am experiencing now is heavy legs ? Aching back and feels like when I go for a walk it feels like a marathon ! Anyone else have this ?

Try not to worry Julie , bowel is such a common after this op and will take time to settle again.

Xx

• Posted

Thanks Sarah, it is really reassuring to know someone else is having the same symptoms at the same stage! When you are tired it is easy to start thinking the worst but I will start doing the physio exercises again and try to be a patient patient!
    • Posted

Let us know how you go Julie , but remember if you feel any worries just see your GP again . It's horrible as you feel like your making a fuss sometimes but they will understand too. Worrying is only natural ;-)

Take care xxx

• Posted

Hi Julie I'm 3 weeks post op tomorrow and have been doing really well.tummy feels slight bruised which is expected.the worse for me has been doing a no 2.feels like contractions.surprising how you use stomach muscles to go to the toilet.I take a couple of stool softness, 1 morning and night and it does help.seems to be getting better every day though.hope my info helps Karen. X
    • Posted

Hi luckymum how you doing.hope all is going well. can't believe it's been 3 weeks already.where has that time gone.so glad I had it done now.start of a new me.Karen. x
    • Posted

I agree, the 3 weeks have flew past! Soon be back at work rolleyes LOL

I'm doing ok, good and bad days as I'm sure you do too but can definately see an improvement on an almost daily basis, certainly on a weekly basis smile Like you I still have a little tenderness in my stomach, and still have to push up to stand etc but am really quite pleased so far with my recovery smile What were we so worried about!? LOL

I'm still pretty much resting most of the day, doing very little, go outside for a 10/15 min walk some days and have had a totter around Asda but feel I should be doing more, what sort of things do you do on a daily basis physically speaking?

• Posted

Hi luckymum.when do you go back to work.I work evening shifts at supermarket so lots of lifting and pulling Cages so not planning on going back till mid April at least.work have been really good though.I'm doing bits round house light bits no lifting or hoovering (turning a blind eye to most of the dust etc).hubby has been so good they do say in sickness and in health when we marry them lol.I'm cooking easy meals for when family get in.really out of boredom, and I've done a bit of knitting to make me rest.not knitted for 20 years lol.hope your doing okay. Love Karen x

• Posted

Hi Karen my initial sick note was for 6 weeks so that runs out in 3 but then I have to call my doctors to discuss how much longer I need off so I don't really know. I'm doing a couple of bits around the house but not that much, I tried to put some things in the oven the other night (Monday) and in doing so I stooped down onto my heels then realised I was stuck! I asked my 12yr old daughter to help me up but she was not strong enough so I ended up in a heap on the floor, my hubby came running in (cross with me for even trying in the first place LOL) he helped me up but I felt a ripping pain up my left groin and across my stomach, scared me into not trying again for a bit but I was ok yesterday so I think I 'got away' with it this time! xxx
    • Posted

oh no luckymum do be careful.know what you mean though.feel we can do these things then realise after that it's too early.I went to lift my little grand daughter on to me knee,only from sofa so just couple of inches really,something I used to do all the time just completely forgot and I really felt the pull.I just looked across to hubby and said I should not have done that.but it's definitely made me think before I do anything.take care love Karen. X
    • Posted

Thanks Karen you take care too, and get someone to put your granddaughter on your lap for cuddles xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.