Has anyone else got or had medication induced akathisia?

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hi

Just wondering if there's anyone else out there who either has or has had akathisia as a result of taking ssris or anti pcyhotics? It seems like an uncommon thing.

I am very sensitive to meds and have severe akathisia from SSRIs. I got it on citalopram, came off that and was put on sertraline and quetiapine. It's all continued. I'm now just off quetiapine and almost if the sertraline.

I have to keep pushing through it every day. If there's anyone else who's experienced this, it would be great to hear from you.

4 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello everyone - I stumbled upon this thread - 10 years on 10mg of Paxil and I was fine- well I wanted to come off the med - I went off way too fast - so I went back on to my 10mg - it didn't work so doc bumped me up to 20mg - the akathisia hit - omg the horror - I can't even begin to explain the internal horror - I was like that for 5 months- doc said - oh you always feel worse before you feel better - after 5 mos I started reducing - I'm back down to 10mg ( pre akathisia dosage) but I'm still having waves of it - it comes and goes - I have horrific anxiety with it now and it just doesn't want to stay away- I don't know what to do- wait to see if I stabilize on 10mg or just continue decreasing? I don't want to have akathisia and wd symptoms - this is the worst thing I've ever felt in my life 😡 I'm sorry

This has ever happens to anyone

My symptoms include tinnitus, burning mouth, double vision, sensory perception issues, mental fog, desire to shake my hands or feet (but there was never really a need m, but it feels better when I do) overwhelming feelings or horror and dread that wash over me

• Posted

I know how horrible this can be. I know you from another forum.

For some it resolves when they stop the drug, in time.

For others, it resolved by going back to the previous good dose. Maybe you should stabilize here

But everyone will just take a guess

Please also try Propranolol.

• Posted

Hi adrian. Haven't heard from you for a while. I'm wondering how you are?? For some reason I can't email you anymore. My heart problem is angina it's usually seen in much older people. But my doctor said heart disease is very common in people with schizophrenia. How's the akasthia now?. I was hoping to try and get back to work. But nobody will employ me because of my heart and mental health issues. I hope you are doing better. Please contact me. Thanks

• Posted

Hello- I've been chronically physically ill since 1985 after viral encephalitis. Because I had so much pain and difficulty sleeping I was put on antidepressants in 1986. In 2005 I was switched from tricyclic antidepressants to Lexapro. December 2015 I went off after having severe dysautonomia. I'm suffering from Akathisia so severely still today 8 months later. 

I rarely sleep at all. I used to have the symptoms all the time but now they usually start about 60-90 minutes after laying down, when I'm really tired or stressed even a little. I'm bedridden so can't walk when I feel I need to run. I rock for hours in bed until I'm in excruciating pain. I scream, hit myself, scratch myself, move non stop and mumble or say nonsense words uncontrollably. It feels like I'm in hell. 

Ive been physically ill a long time but this is the worst thing I've ever experienced. I was also taken off Duragesic patch in April which made the Akathisia worse. Every relaxing or sleep herb/supplement seems to make it worse. 

Sometimes I'm so sleep deprived that I take Klonopin but it only works occasionally and now a few days later, that is causing worsening symptoms too. I sleep an hour here and there a week. It's so awful. No Dr even wants to deal with how sick I am. Only a cash paying naturopathic Dr admits it's a serotonin problem. 

Are any of you better? I'm off all benzodiazepines , pain meds and antidepressants and wonder how long this will last. Drinking lemon balm tea with CalmMag and lemon balm liquid plus out loud meditation chanting helps a little. Many days after the horrible moving, I go into a vegetative like state. I'm unable to move, open my eyes or speak yet I'm actually awake. It's very scary. The longer I go without sleep and the more energy I expend, the worse this gets. It's painful too. 

Could you you please tell me where the other forums and groups are? This is a very scary and lonely condition for me and my family who now care for me 24/7. I wish everyone the best and healing blessings. 

• Posted

Hi, my name is Gordon and I have suffered from akasthia several times. I have schizophrenia and anti psychotic medicines are usually the main culprit. I had uncontroble need to be in motion. In walked around in circles in my kitchen. From waking to bed time. I lost everything. My job, my fiance and was hospitalised. It was their the psychiatrist diagnosed me with the condition. I decided to stop all medications and went threw several months of he'll. But after 6 weeks or so I woke up and didn't feel the horrible akasthia. I was also very aggressive when I had this condition. I'm a paranoid schizophrenic but I don't take meds because I always develop akasthia. It will go away in time. Just try and take each day as it comes. I know how bad this illness is. I will pray it goes away for you

• Posted

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for sharing. Yours went away in 6 weeks? I'm into 8 months already. Or did I misunderstand you? I'm sorry for all your loses. After 31 years of chronic illness I'm grateful for the few people in my life. This is the worst thing I've ever faced. 

• Posted

I had the condition for 1 year in total. And when I stopped my meds it dissapered within six weeks of taking my last med. I know how bad this illness is.
    • Posted

Propanalol helps and so does low dose mirtazapine. I know you want to stay drug free. But these drugs are documented to help. I know how long everyday day feels. I'm 38 now.

• Posted

Also avoid anti sickness medicines like metoclopramide. This would make the condition worse. Benzos aren't the answer either. Withdrawal can cause rebound akasthia

• Posted

There is a Facebook group : Living with Akathisia.

There is the survivingantidepressants community, google for it.

There is benzobuddies, for benzodiazepines, google it too.

There is phoenixrising for CFS, google it also.

There are many many people suffering.

I will pray for you and your dear family. You are the bravest person I ever met. You are a real figher.

• Posted

I had akasthia for 1 year and know how horrible this illness can be. I have schizophrenia and the medication I used to take caused akasathia. As Adrian said you are a true hero an inspiration.i know how long everyday feels with this condition. Please try propanolol and low dose mirtazapine. To be honest they never worked for me,but their is some success storys. It stopped for me when I stopped all drugs. I had it for 1 year. And after several weeks of drug withdrawal it dissapeared. Please continue to fight as their is hope
    • Posted

Sorry meant “this is my life”

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.