Has anyone ever tried using a SAD lightbox?

Posted , 5 users are following.

With the day's getting shorter just wondered if anyone had tried using a lightbox? They are supposed to help with low mood and tiredness over the winter so was wondering if they might help with any of the symptoms of CFS/M.E. as well. 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Elaine,

Yes, I use one in Autumn and Winter, I think it helps keep me more awake and cheerful as I do not like the short days and long nights. Don't know if it helps with ME/CFS symptoms but as it's so complex my tiredness might be due to the illness rather than the lack of light.

Liz

• Posted

Hope the moderator won't delete this, but I use a Philips goLITE HF3330 which is a blue light LED and I use it for about 15 mins in the morning. I can alter the length of time and the brightness of the light. I will start using it over the next couple of weeks again. If you fall asleep too early in the evenings you can use it later in the afternoon to keep you awake for longer in the evening, if you see what I mean!

• Posted

That's the one I Use Sue! I like it much more than my old white one. Apparently we only get benefit from the blue that's contained in the white light ones, and using the pure blue ones gives more benefits.

• Posted

It's certainly much more manageable than my previous one which was about 3' high! You can easily carry this one around with you if you go away for the weekend etc. But I preferred the white light!! However, I do find it helps me in winter.

• Posted

Lol that's massive! My old white one was about the same size as my blue one.

I just love the colour blue anyway so I suppose I'm bound to prefer the blue light. cheesygrin

• Posted

Thanks very much for that information. Will look it up. Sounds good if it's adjustable too. Sorry no energy to type much more, my day is rapidly going downhill - my puppy just lay down in some cement mix so had to give her unplanned bath, had nightmare getting it off her and am totally shattered now!!

• Posted

Hello Elaine.

I have used a SAD box for 5-6 years. I think that and vitamin D help my moods during the fall / winter months. I can't say that I've noticed an increase in energy, but everyone is different. I've had ME/CFS since 1997. My psyiatrist suggested the SAD box and uses one himself for SAD.

If you live in the US or Canada, there is a very good product out of Quebec at Northern Light Technolgies, SAD Light therapy. This is where my doctor recommended and I'm on my second light box. They are well made and ship quickly, I don't know where there shipping area is. It's also import to but one that delivers an adequate amount of light, and correctly. There are alot of wanna  be products out there now. Good luck to you.

• Posted

It's good to know you think it helps your mood.  I stay in Scotland so not much sunlight at all in winter (or summer a lot of the time!) so think it might be worth trying one. Thanks for your reply. 

• Posted

Yes, I wondered about them for years and then I was convinced to get one when I had to do a research project on them for the Open University.

They definitely give me a feeling of extra energy and I've even felt sort of exquisite energy sensations up and down my spine. I don't know if everyone gets those but the longer I've used the light box regularly the more I get them.

I'm using a blue light one now.

• Posted

I'm glad you feel it gives you more energy. I didn't know you got different types. What is the difference between a white light and blue light one?

• Posted

Blue light therapy is backed up by more medical research than white. I think blue is safter on the eyes and blue light is always in sunshine.

I use an LED one because I read that some of the tube ones can be harmful on the eyes.

• Posted

Glad I asked on here as I didn't know you got blue light ones and think that would probably be better for me. Will look it up and see where I can get a good price on one. Thanks for the information.

• Posted

Blue ones are more expensive but I bought a second hand one that looked brand new when it arrived!
    • Posted

Yes I looked them up and they are more expensive than I thought. I can either try a cheaper one, a second hand one or try and see one in a sale. I'm sure I saw one in the Black Friday deals last year but that's a bit away.

• Posted

I hope you find one soon. They are good. And it doesn't have to be blue; the white ones are excellent too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.