Has anyone experience from TERP surgery

Posted , 19 users are following.

I've been told that I require surgery to  improve flow through my prostate and hospital have recommended TERP but it is evasive and I believe it has lots of side affects so I am looking for anyone who has positive or negative experience and whether anyone has any experience of more non evasive form of treatment like PAE

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Did you mean TURP? If so you will get mostly negative reactions.
    • Posted

Hi Derek 

Apologies for my misspelling it s TURP this I refer to  as I  am in hospital at moment with Sepsis and the doctors are pushing for me to have the surgery whilst I am in the say it is causing the sepsis so I looked to this forum for help and support and appreciate your comment. The doctors have been evasive every time I challenge TURP or ask about other options and none of the medications work.

• Posted

Wishing you a speedy recovery from sepsis. It has been much in the news in the UK recently.

Can they operate while you have sepsis??

• Posted

Hi Derek once sepsis infection is under control surgery can commence 
    • Posted

Micky  I guest you were talk into it even with men that told you it was the worst surgery you can have.  It's your life your going to have to deal with the out come  Ken

• Posted

Whatever do you mean by evasive... Is the urologist crossing the street when he sees you, or not returning your calls, so you can't book a TURP?!

• Posted

Most urologists are quick to book a TURP.  It's afterwards they may become evasive.  At least that was my experience.

• Posted

Like the witty humourous comment Paul brought a sense of laughter as I lay in hospital recovering from my latest bout of sepsis
    • Posted

They are evasive before and after. They will only tell you what they want you to know, not what they don't want you to know. They don't want to lose you to another procedure because TURP has no insurance problems and is good money for them. It is only during a bad recovery period that patients start complaining on this forum.

• Posted

Thanks for your comments Lester the feeling I get from my consultant is one size fits all and that is TURP which I will avoid 
  • Posted

Hi Micky,

Welcome to the forum. 

Yes, TURP is one of the more invasive surgeries for BPH. Some men are happy with it, some aren't. You have to know that there is a very high incidence of permanent retrograde ejaculation which is a dry ejaculation where no semen comes out. This bothers some men, others it doesn't. 

My suggestion is to take your time here and elsewhere exploring all the options. One thing I've found here is that people who have had success with a given procedure will generally recommend it to everyone. And those who haven't had success with a procedure will not. That is the limitation of anecdotal accounts and forums like this. The truth is that all of the procedures, including TURP, have had very good results and not so very good results. Its then really up to you to figure out the pro's and cons of each approach. You mentioned PAE for example. Some people rave about it and some regret they have had it. 

One factor often not mentioned here is the previous condition of the bladder prior to the procedure. This can effect results dramatically. If your bladder is in very bad shape, none the procedures will help much. If it's in very good shape, most of them will help. That's why testing prior to any procedure is important. In addition to the usual DRE and cystoscopy, you will want a bladder/kidney ultrasound study and probably urodynamic testing. The latter is more than visual or image analysis, but functional testing.  

Lastly, many here, and I include myself, have chosen a watchful waiting strategy. The idea here is that all surgeries have risks and potential side effects, so why rush into it when there are less invasive options available and newer and possibly better procedures are down the road. Meds like Flomax are one route. Self catherization (CIC) is another route, one which I have taken. I chose it because it protects my bladder and kidneys as well as any surgery without the risks and side effects of any of the current procedures. 

Whatever you do, take your time making a decision and don't get swayed by someone's individual experience here, because that's all it is, an individual experience. If you carefully read through all of the threads you will read that someone has posted that each and every procedure was "life changing". And you will also read that each and every procedure didn't work. Same procedure, often with the same doctor. The key is that the patient was different and their condition was different. 

All the best with your choice.

Jim

• Posted

@David: Shiver at the thoughts of self Catheter 

--------------

And I shiver at the thought of getting some of the permanent side effects that can happen with any procedure. FWIW no one was more squeamish about self cathing (CIC) than myself in the beginning. All I will say is that once the body gets used to it, usually within a couple of weeks, it can be about as traumatic as brushing your teeth. CIC has served myself and others here well. Its unfortunate here that men let their emotions and possibly a bad initial experience interfere with something that can save them from a surgery.

Jim

• Posted

I did a few self catherizations out of necessity after a procedure caused some acute retention events.  You use a very slender sterile flexible tubing that you gently insert.  Once it reaches the bladder, you can fully empty the bladder.  It was not really painful to me, and the relief it gave me from a screaming overfilled bladder was like heaven at the time.  All of the things you ask about have already been discussed at length on Patient.  Just do a search in the forum under "Prostate" to find out about different issues.

Glenn

• Posted

Hi Jimjames

Many thanks for your comprehensive response and valued feedback on this issue. You have highlighted many things  I wasn't aware of which have already armed me with the next steps I need to take with my consultant. I am in hospital at the moment with my fourth bout of sepsis and the surgeon wants to carry out the TURP procedure whilst I am in hospital to prevent more infections so you have helped with my decision and this is the reason why I have joined the forum I guess the answer as you say is take time and not be pushed many thanks

• Posted

The fact that you've had four bouts of sepsis is crucial, especially if your doctors believe that a chronic bladder infection, caused by urinary retention, is the root cause of the sepsis.  If that is the case, delaying surgery for long may not be advised, especially if medial experts believe it could help with your infection.  While sexual function may be important to an individual, stacked up against (for example) the possibility of kidney failure from chronic infection, you may come up with a different answer.

Glenn

• Posted

Micky   I had sepsis in 2014  had 8 infection kidney and bladder.  My white blood count was over 25.000.  Do not let them do any surgery until your healed from the sepsis.  Turp is the only thing this doctor must know.  How about getting you well first  Try to holed off and look into something else.  I was on IV for 6 day in the hospital and went home with a port for another 11 treatment.  Please do yourself a favor tell him no.  If you don't I think your looking for more trouble.  My sepsis was in my whole body and the blood.  The doctor told me that if I would have waited a week I would have die.  My doctor got me well.  Not lets take out your prostate to see if it help.  God bless  Ken

• Posted

I don't like the sound of sepsis, i never had it but it properly knocks you up and you don't want to keep getting it, in case some time it gets even worse. I don't know, you have one bunch of guys hollering don't let them do a turp and another saying oh, prudent to get a fix. If you are over 50 and don't anticipate wanting more kids, so can tolerate retro from that point of view, I'd get a reliable fix if I were you. Gonna take a lot of effort and time to find someone that can throw the dice for you on PAE that doesn't always work, or urolift that doesn't always work, or exotics like rezum or fla. Great when they do work, though. Can you get a second opinion fast at the hospital? Final decision will have to be yours. None of us are experts, we just read men's storiea on blogs like this and fit what we read into our own preconceptions, to a degree. I wish you the perfect outcome, however you get there.

• Posted

Thanks for your comments Glenn. My consultant is adamant that I need surgery to reduce infections which I agree with however only TURP is available and the feedback i have about this procedure is not good with so many side effects which I see could lead to more infections. The hospital are only interested in carrying out the surgery as cheaply as possible and then handing me back to the community doctors to pick up the aftermath  basically dealing with post TURP issues. I know that prolonging the surgery may lead to kidney problems but I need a non invasive solution.
    • Posted

Thanks Paul I appreciate your comments and will be avoiding TURP. Next step is to get referred by my hospital to have another non invasive procedure as TURP is only one they offer so I would have to go to another hospital and hope they accept me but going to be hard to persuade 
    • Posted

Micky.  I sent a e-mail to my Urologist.  He told me that no one should be forced into any surgery until  one is heal from any thing else.  He also said that doing turp on a patient that is healing from sepsis does not fix or free them of getting another infection.  I am glad you decided to wait I think you will be a better man for it.  Good luck  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.