Has anyone experience from TERP surgery

Posted , 19 users are following.

I've been told that I require surgery to  improve flow through my prostate and hospital have recommended TERP but it is evasive and I believe it has lots of side affects so I am looking for anyone who has positive or negative experience and whether anyone has any experience of more non evasive form of treatment like PAE

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Depends on how much the potential sides matter to you. If youve not heard of REZUM look it up. Do TURPS as an absolute last resort. There are lots of guys on here who have had it done.
    • Posted

Thanks for your comments Robert I wasn't aware of REZUM but looked it up and worth considering so another option  I can run by my consultant 

• Posted

My soon to be former urologist wanted to book a turp right after he screwed up a routine biopsy. I did not know this for sure until another doctor let something slip. He did quite the sales pitch and the wife in law being german (they are putty in the hands of a salesman) was all ready to do it. After the biopsy I went into full retention (can't pee) and got a catheter three times. Thanks to this website which I had plenty of time to find and read because of the catheters and bags I learned that a Turp is probably the last resort. It used to be the gold standard. (well the only standard).

I asked my GP for a recommendation for a doctor in Sydney to investigate a Prostatic Arterial Embolization PAE. He did not know what it was. For the last five years or so Radiologist have been putting little balls in the arteries leading to the prostate. For those with a really large prostate it has been very helpful. It is an old procedure used in other areas for the last twenty years or so.

When I asked my Urologist about the procedure he said my 180 cm prostate was too big! He was completely wrong! The doctor in Sydney did one that was about 670 cm.

I am off to liverpool to see one of the urologists that has been tamed by the PAE guy. He wants to make absolutely sure that the procedure will go well. Dr Schlapoff actually called me! Unlike the Urologist who had his secretary tell me to go to the ER and get a catheter installed.

So if your urologist is being evasive before cutting on you I would have a think and read everything on this site.

You can put me down as having a negative experience with just a biopsy.

• Posted

Than for your feedback George and wish you well with the PAE let me know how it goes
  • Posted

Micky.  Look into something else.  My urologist feel the turp is a last resort procedure.  there are many others you can do that will do the same .  UROLIFT, FLA, PAE and REZUM.  Don't take the first thing they offer.  They all to the same make a tunnel.  Or if you don't  want surgery Do CIC  it can help and stop you from having surgery Good luck  Ken

• Posted

Kenneth I certainly will be looking into alternative to TURP so many thanks for your advice. 
  • Posted

I agree with Glenn in that if your recurrent bouts of Sepsis are being caused by retention, then you need to do something very soon. That said, if all that they are offering is TURP, and if you want more time to explore other options, then think about self cathing as at least an interim measure to buy time. Self cathing will empty your bladder completely so there will be no retention, thereby protecting both bladder and kidneys.

Jim

• Posted

Jimjames,

I need to learn more about cic.. As I may be doing that in order g uit fenisteride . If I chose to do another f la Dr K suggested to stop first prior to fla.

• Posted

Hi Jim,

Sorry FLA did not work out as you hoped. Before considering it again, I would have an "after" 3T MRI done to compare to the "before". Equally important, you might want both a cystoscopy and urodynamic testing (preferably video urodynamicw) which will tell you how well your bladder functions and therefore help determine how much another prostate reduction surgery (FLA or otherwise) will really help or if the problem is with the bladder. And in all due respect to Dr. K., I would have all this coordinated by a urologist who not only is trained in these tests but can be  more objective since they were not involved in the surgery.

If you have retention, CIC can help. We have several threads going on but I can send you a PM to simplify things. I'm not a big fan of fenisteride, and with CIC you shouldn't need it, because in most cases it will empty your bladder completely therefore protecting both bladder and kidneys. It might even rehab your bladder over time to the point where you may not feel  you need another surgery.

Jim

• Posted

Hey Jimjames,

Just had another cystoscope with a new doc and he says bladder is fine other than it's getting worn. Deffenitly says and I saw that the prosate is pinching down on the urethra. Just got another 3tmri and sending it to Dr K. It will be very interesting to see the deference after my first f la. The reason I asked about cic is if I do another Fla Dr K wants me to stop fenisteride before procedure.. last time I g uit fenisteride I had trouble going pee. Little nervous about per.

Thanks for any info on cic..

Jim

• Posted

Hi Jim,

Glad you got a cystoscopy, but I still urge you to get urodynamics before making any sort of decision regarding FLA or any other prostate reduction surgery. Cystoscopy is a good "look" but only urodynamics tests function which is your bottom line. Curious, does your uro say about the before and after 3T MRI's? Also, I think you mentioned Dr. K. had to go pretty close to your ejaculatory ducts last time? If so, will a second FLA risk retro ejaculation? You might ask him. If so, then there are other procedures you might consider. Also, as long as you're thinking of CIC, you might want to give that 6-12 months to see if it can rehab your bladder enough to where you might not need anything.

Check your private messages in a a bit regarding CIC.

Jim

• Posted

Just got 3tmri and will be seeing uro for before and after pics soon..
  • Posted

Micky  Yes Turp is evasive and you should get well from one thing before you add something else into the mix.  It take a lot to healing and who is to say that it will stop you form getting another infection.  You are the one that has to make the decision   Heal first and then make up your mind.  There was man on here that got talked in 3 procedure in 6 weeks.  He is a mess and he family can't help him with the pain that he is in..  Tell them no for now Please  Ken   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.