Has anyone experienced swollen limbs due to mono/glandular fever?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there, 

I have recently been diagnosed with EBV/ glandular fever or mono as some call it. 

My symptoms started back in April and after months of muscles pain and weakness/fever/joint pain/nausea etc I have finally been diagnosed with EBV/glandular fever.

One of the symptoms I have had since day one has been swollen legs and upper arms. Has anyone experienced this? 

Thanks in advance. 

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes, I had all of your symptoms. the edema in my arms and legs was mild. I contributed it to the effects of the virus on the lymphatic

system. It stayed for quite a long time.

The ability to be active also makes the lymphatic system sluggish.

Take good care of yourself. This virus attacks us in many ways.

Prayers, Rhonda

• Posted

thanks so much, what was it that contributed to the symptoms going?

the edema was one of the first symptoms and altho muscle aches/pains have improved the edema is still present.

thank you

• Posted

We all can speculate on the turning point for symptoms to began to fade. One thing everyone seems to agree on is that they fade and return many times throughout the course of recovery period for each person. Recovery periods seem to vary greatly along with severity of symptoms. I feel that gentle Chiropractic treatments and massages helped....but did not cure. personally I think time , acknowledging and accepting the ups and downs of this virus is the starting point.

I spent thousands of dollars on supplements.....they did not help...I really think they prolonged the recovery journey...I do know that everyone is desperate to get well and go back to their pre virus state

state of health.

It will get better. I know that seems like empty words...but they are true.

• Posted

Hi Purplelilly,

So sorry to hear you've been going through such a hard time with mono, really empathising having went through this awful virus myself a number of years ago. It's hard for me to remember all of my symptoms, but definitely the fatigue, low grade fever, muscle aches and different pains in glandular areas (neck, armpits, chest, groin, etc).

It must have been so hard going these months without knowing what the cause was, just want to reassure you that this virus does get better and does go away with time. Like you and many others on the site, it took me a number of months, it was 10 months before I seen a real major improvement (that doesn't mean to say it will be that for you everyone is different), but absolutely it DOES GO AWAY and you will get there, even if it still takes a little while for fully recovery. The first 6 months were definitely the worst and most intense for me, and hoping that the worst is behind you after 6 months of this too.

Taking vitamins and herbs really helped me during recovery period - a good strong multi-vitamin per day, immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng, oregano, echinichea, higher doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day) and a B complex vitamin per day (really good for nervous system and energy levels).

Hoping this swelling of the legs and arms settles soon Purple, it wasn't a symptom I can remember but this virus affects so many people in so many different ways and hoping others that have experienced that with the virus can post and offer some advice. Just remember you will get there with this, and that coping with and getting through each day is a real achievement when feeling the way it makes you feel for sure - definitely give yourself time to rest, be kind to yourself and take life at the pace that's right for you just now and don't let anyone put any pressure on you - your body just needs that time and space to recover and absolutely it will!!! Take that from someone who though things would never get better at some stages, but your body resilience and strength and health will come back, I trust God with that and hang in there. Hoping things settle down soon and absolutely you will get through this I truly believe that from my own experience and reading how the virus has went for lots of people on the forum - just so frustrating the longevity of this thing but it doesn't last forever, hard to be patient I know.

Do keep in touch and let us know how things are going Purple - the various people on the different forum threads here are really great to talk to so encouraging and understanding of this virus and how it makes you feel - unlike so many doctors and others who haven't experienced it!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.